Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to find an Employer who can apply for an LMO?

How to find an Employer who can apply for an LMO?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

sriniss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find an Employer who can apply for an LMO?

Hi,

I am quite keen to relocate to Canada with my family. I did some research and found that I need to have arranged emplyment and a positive LMO from the employer.

I have been finding it very hard to find an employer who can provide / apply for an LMO. I am a very skilled IT Professional based in London with 13+ years of experience.

Is there any way to find recruiting agents and employers in either Canada or UK who can help me make this move to Canada? I am happy to go on a TWP and then apply for the FSW once I am in. It is difficult to first get in.

I would appreciate any advise to make this move.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:29 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find an Employer who can apply for an LMO?

Not quite sure I understand your question, any employer can apply for an LMO.

Have you read the wiki on job hunting in Canada ? Also do a search there have been several threads about IT jobs including info on how to market yourself
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

IT Professionals are no longer on THE LIST which suggests that employers are supposed to and be able to fund from within Canada. Employers now probably require a very strong case to apply for a LMO.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

That is what I am finding. Employers are a bit hesitant to apply for an LMO. In my case there were 2 employers who showed interest but when I told them I need a positive LMO they seemed to lose a bit of interest.

I wanted to look at compaines that help easily apply for LMO's for someone they offer a job.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I think what the OP means is a list of employers or recruiters who are willing to apply for LMO's or go through the process. Sadly I have not discovered one yet. I'm here living with my Canadian boyfriend whilst we accumulate enough time living together for him to sponsor me. Whilst doing this my plan was to find a job, get an LMO and hopefully speed the process up.....I had two 2nd round interviews at the end of last year for jobs in the industry I have worked in for the last 10 years and I missed out on both jobs. The feedback was that I was great for the role, they loved me and wanted to keep me in mind for other jobs, but they had to go with another candidate. Roughly translated means, they liked me but it was far simpler for them to employ a Canadian. I guess what I am saying is that you have to be absolutely fan-bloody-tastic at the job you do (but as others have said IT jobs it maybe difficult to do this now) for an employer to even consider going down the LMO route. Who can blame them - faced with the same decision, I think I would do the same. I've actually stopped applying for jobs because my status at the moment is detrimental to any application. By all means keep plugging away, it can be done, but it is bloody hard. Have you considered working for a company in the UK that may have the option of an intra-company transfer and doing it that way? Quite often the companies already have an LMO agreement in place to make the transfer easier. Just a thought.
Sorry to be doom & gloom, but the reality is this is a tough route, and I for one am sitting this fight out until I get residency.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Well I work as a contractor IT consultant in the UK. The possibility of an intra company transfer is is not an option. I am tryin gall routes but it all needs a arranged employment and a LMO. I know that once this is done I can get my own PR which removes any burden (costs and documentation) on the employer.

Zoe you had explained about threads for IT Jobs / marketing for opportunities in Canada. Do you know the best way to get to these links?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sriniss
Well I work as a contractor IT consultant in the UK. The possibility of an intra company transfer is is not an option. I am tryin gall routes but it all needs a arranged employment and a LMO. I know that once this is done I can get my own PR which removes any burden (costs and documentation) on the employer.

Zoe you had explained about threads for IT Jobs / marketing for opportunities in Canada. Do you know the best way to get to these links?
Beige ribbon at top of the page
Eighth option in is search
Hopefully you can figure it out from there
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Zoe
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:18 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Just get over there and find a job. My OH got a job in IT and LMO last August.
Take with you the LMO forms and show them how easy it is to do - no money is involved and the forms are very short and simple to fill out and it doesn't take long for the approval to arrive. In my OHs case, the result was received in just over 3 weeks.
His company had never applied for an LMO for a foreign worker before.
I think many companies are completely unfamiliar with the application process and think that it is expensive/complicated or will take a long time.
None of these things are true, so try educating them and you might find they are pleasantly surprised how easy the whole thing is from the company's point of view.
Do not, however, expect them to wait until you get PR before starting work. Be prepared to get yourself out there on a TWP asap and apply for PR while you are working. Not surprisingly, most companies will not wait the length of time required for PR.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

SashaG is an unknown quantity at this point

Its bad enough trying to get a job in this country, never mind abroad. I'm also trying to find work in canada, but to no avail. Most company's are not interested unless you have paper work at hand and your over there. There's always getting an agent to help you, but that comes at a cost
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Helcat, I like the idea of showing a blank LMO to the client. I think you are right that many employers think that the process would be painful, complicated and long. I will try and download the forms for LMO and forward it to the employers who may show interest in me.

I do know that I can apply for the TWP at the port of entry (e.g. the airport) once I have the offer letter and the LMO.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sriniss
Helcat, I like the idea of showing a blank LMO to the client. I think you are right that many employers think that the process would be painful, complicated and long. I will try and download the forms for LMO and forward it to the employers who may show interest in me.

I do know that I can apply for the TWP at the port of entry (e.g. the airport) once I have the offer letter and the LMO.
Yep, that's what my OH did last August.
I hope that by showing them how easy it is to apply for LMO you will make some employer look more favourably at your application. It can't do any harm, can it?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:29 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar situation

An IT contractor with 15 yrs experience, looking for a Canadian employer to offer me a job and LMO.

So Helicat did your OH turn up in person on the reccie with the LMO forms? Did his employer know about this before they met?

Sounds like and interview trip is needed....
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:52 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by port7
I am in a similar situation

An IT contractor with 15 yrs experience, looking for a Canadian employer to offer me a job and LMO.

So Helicat did your OH turn up in person on the reccie with the LMO forms? Did his employer know about this before they met?

Sounds like and interview trip is needed....
Lots of research on companies who might be interested
Lots of late-night UK Canada telephone calls
Found interest
Booked flight for job hunting trip
Received interview notification
Had interview
Offered job while still there for trip
Filled in LMO forms with employer while on trip
Returned to UK awaiting LMO
Got LMO
Flew over to start work August 2010
Put in FSW Cat 2 application.

That's how it worked.
Of course the employer knew LMO would be required - they knew he was UK and would need approval from HRSDC, thy just hadn't done it before. He took the forms to Canada for the interview and meetings he had planned to show their simplicity.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

If you check out service canada jobbank or Monster.ca you will find some companies advertising with pre approved LMO's.
In the job search section put "LMO" in keyword search.
From what I can see there are not any IT orientated companies advertising at the moment but who knows what may appear tomorrow.
Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.