how to do well on ilets

Old Nov 28th 2004, 3:28 am
Just Joined

riten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to do well on ilets

hi everybody,

I m preparing for IELTS, i need minimum of 7 band on each indiviual part in IELTS, to be able to apply for PR under skilled worker class.

Presenlty, I'm hanging between 6 and 7 band (on mock tests), and it seems very tough task for me to get 7 band in real exam. Though i'm excellent at listening(and sure to get 7 in it) and good at writing and speaking(will get 7 with little extra effort), but reading, is just like scaling a mount everest for me.

I have more 20 days left for IELTS. Is there any body who can give me some tips on how to do well in test.

Thanks in advance for responses
Riten
Old Nov 28th 2004, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: how to do well on ilets

Even if you feel that you have screwed the things up. Keep your mind straight. Dont get panic and keep answering questions. When the listening test started , the concerned lady said she will play a demo and after that she did'nt announce the start of real test and I ignored that part thinking that i was part of demo. But i answered all other questions and in the end scored 7.
Only relaxed mind can produce creative ideas.
Take one topic every morning and write an easy.
Visit some IELTS forums , u might get some valuable tips.

Originally Posted by riten
hi everybody,

I m preparing for IELTS, i need minimum of 7 band on each indiviual part in IELTS, to be able to apply for PR under skilled worker class.

Presenlty, I'm hanging between 6 and 7 band (on mock tests), and it seems very tough task for me to get 7 band in real exam. Though i'm excellent at listening(and sure to get 7 in it) and good at writing and speaking(will get 7 with little extra effort), but reading, is just like scaling a mount everest for me.

I have more 20 days left for IELTS. Is there any body who can give me some tips on how to do well in test.

Riten

Last edited by orazone; Nov 28th 2004 at 5:11 am.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

hi everybody,

Riten
Don't underestimate the writing test either, they'll give you 2 subjects to write about and it's not only the grammar that counts. Don't be offended, but for what you wrote ,above , you wouldn't get a 7 .
Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:47 am
Just Joined

riten is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Orazone nd Juliusmaximus,

Juliumaximus, please guide me, wether it's really possible to increase my band from my present level or i am just over estimating from myself.
I mean is it worth to try to get 7 band or it's just impossible to reach at that level. And you said will not get 7 on writing, then please tell me what is my present level and with this much writing skill, how much i can expect at real exam?

Thanks
Riten
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Even impossible also says I 'm Possible. I know you want to be realistic but please dont make a half hearted attempt. Just to give you a good feeling, let me tell you that I also scored less than 7 when i took IELTS for the first time. 2nd time I was more relaxed and , remember, its just a battle of nerves. You dont have to be an english grammer guru to score 7. Little effort , little creativity, little practice should get you to this level. It worked for me, and i hope it will work for you too.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Juliumaximus, please guide me, wether it's really possible to increase my band from my present level or i am just over estimating from myself.
I mean is it worth to try to get 7 band or it's just impossible to reach at that level. And you said will not get 7 on writing, then please tell me what is my present level and with this much writing skill, how much i can expect at real exam?

Thanks
Riten
There's only this advice I can give to improve your language skills...read a lot, speak a lot , listen a lot and write a lot ....i.o.w. practice, practice ,practice.
Don't know if you have English speaking channels where you live, but if you do, watch them ( without subtitles, if any ) and force yourself to understand all they're saying. You would be amazed how much one can learn from that.
20 days will probably be not enough to improve a lot, but , if you would have enough time on your hand ( and cash ) , it mght not be a bad idea to take the test to have an idea and to redo it afterwards ( think the time lapse is 90 days )
Hope this helps
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Canadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant future

Thanks
Riten
i would not say "impossible"

7 in speaking, listening is supposed to be easy.
with practice listening is easy as well if you are used to watching english movies or staying english speaking countries.
reading is where a lot of really good people end up below 7.

writing also is easy. small amounts of practice dos and donts and techniques will fix teh problems.

go over the links www.writefix.com etc and writing complaint letters
online Dear sir/madam....end with yours faithfully,

check for spelling mistakes and other errors and follow the technique in
the web pages www.ieltshelpnow.com
it should be east i guess.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

mysaes_jgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember that, you have to take the General test, but no the academic, at least for immigration propouses, so on General test "reading" is the easiest part.

Originally Posted by Canadaproject
i would not say "impossible"

7 in speaking, listening is supposed to be easy.
with practice listening is easy as well if you are used to watching english movies or staying english speaking countries.
reading is where a lot of really good people end up below 7.

writing also is easy. small amounts of practice dos and donts and techniques will fix teh problems.

go over the links www.writefix.com etc and writing complaint letters
online Dear sir/madam....end with yours faithfully,

check for spelling mistakes and other errors and follow the technique in
the web pages www.ieltshelpnow.com
it should be east i guess.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Canadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mysaes_jgo
Remember that, you have to take the General test, but no the academic, at least for immigration propouses, so on General test "reading" is the easiest part.
Yes I know the GT Test is easy in reading but the correct answers to
band is tight. with 4 -5 only mistakes people do land on 6.5.

However getting 7 is not impossible either.