Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How do I prove my Mum was Canadian?

Wikiposts

How do I prove my Mum was Canadian?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:20 am
Just Joined

2Tubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I prove my Mum was Canadian?

I’ve had a dig around here, the wiki and the CIC website and can’t find an answer to this query.

Can anyone here help?

My Mum who passed away 3 years ago was born in St John’s Newfoundland. Though she lived most of her life in the UK she never gained British Citizenship and remained Canadian all her life.

Come the 17th of April I want to apply for proof of Citizenship. The documentation says I have to include proof of Mothers citizenship and suggests a couple of valid documents that would do this, though the wording hints that other documents may well do but aren’t listed.

Now I have searched high and low and can’t find her Birth Certificate. I have a number of her Canadian Passports spanning 30 years or so. Will one of those do as proof though not explicitly named on the list?

Failing I shall have to try and obtain a copy of her Birth Certificate.

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

Gazza
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I prove my Mum was Canadian?

I would do a search here: http://www.gs.gov.nl.ca/gs/vs/birth-cert.stm
If they find a record, you will probably need a death certificate to obtain your mum's birth record.

How old is your mum?
Newfoundland didn't join confederation until 1949.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 2Tubs
I’ve had a dig around here, the wiki and the CIC website and can’t find an answer to this query.

Can anyone here help?

My Mum who passed away 3 years ago was born in St John’s Newfoundland. Though she lived most of her life in the UK she never gained British Citizenship and remained Canadian all her life.

Come the 17th of April I want to apply for proof of Citizenship. The documentation says I have to include proof of Mothers citizenship and suggests a couple of valid documents that would do this, though the wording hints that other documents may well do but aren’t listed.

Now I have searched high and low and can’t find her Birth Certificate. I have a number of her Canadian Passports spanning 30 years or so. Will one of those do as proof though not explicitly named on the list?

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

Gazza
Well, I had a longer reply written for this post but it disappeared into the aether...
Try this link for starters:

http://www.gs.gov.nl.ca/gs/vs/birth-cert.stm
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2Tubs

Can anyone here help?

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

Gazza
I'm not an expert, but I would have thought that her Canadian passport and your Birth Certificate should suffice.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Td0t will become famous soon enoughTd0t will become famous soon enough

You should be able to get your mum's birth certificate from the Newfoundland provincial government.

Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:24 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Td0t
You should be able to get your mum's birth certificate from the Newfoundland provincial government.

What might create a problem is that Newfoundland didn't join confederation until 1949. The citizenship act at the time granted citizenship to Newfoundlanders born there and resident at the time. Prior to 49 they were citizens of the Uk&C. If your mother was not resident in NFLD at the time, you may have difficulty proving her citizenship. It will take a little research.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

What might create a problem is that Newfoundland didn't join confederation until 1949. The citizenship act at the time granted citizenship to Newfoundlanders born there and resident at the time. Prior to 49 they were citizens of the Uk&C. If your mother was not resident in NFLD at the time, you may have difficulty proving her citizenship. It will take a little research.
But surely, if she had Canadian passports, she must have been a Canadian citizen?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But surely, if she had Canadian passports, she must have been a Canadian citizen?
Not necessarily, it is quite possible that they were issued in error, as happens with NFLD.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:22 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by PMM
Not necessarily, it is quite possible that they were issued in error, as happens with NFLD.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:34 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Point of clarification. Issued in error for people who were born before 1949? Or are you just having a dig at Newfoundland in general?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

What might create a problem is that Newfoundland didn't join confederation until 1949. The citizenship act at the time granted citizenship to Newfoundlanders born there and resident at the time.
Anyone born in Newfoundland who was still a British subject on 1 April 1949 became a Canadian citizen on that date.

Prior to 49 they were citizens of the Uk&C.
Newfoundlanders never became UK & Colonies citizens. Prior to 1 April 1949 they were British subjects, no different to Canadians before 1949 (British law) and 1947 (Canadian law).
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Mum was born in 1947.

My younger sister became a Canadian Citizen (applied and got her Citizenship Card) under the current law which is identical to the new one except they have moved the date back, which now includes me.

So any ideas whether the passport will be accepted fro my application, or do I need to try and get a copy of her Birth Certificate?

I did email the Canadian Immigration Office in London well over a month ago but have not received a reply as yet.

Gazza
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Td0t will become famous soon enoughTd0t will become famous soon enough

The form says you need "proof" that one your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth. If you have your mother's passport valid at the time of your brith, I would say that constitues as proof. The Canadian Embassy might not agree. Why not just get the Birth Certificate? That way you'll be sure.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Td0t
The form says you need "proof" that one your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth. If you have your mother's passport valid at the time of your brith, I would say that constitues as proof. The Canadian Embassy might not agree. Why not just get the Birth Certificate? That way you'll be sure.
I have found from CIC that mother passport is not considered proof and I need to obtain a birth certificate.

Oh well.

Only cost $20

Gazza