Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How to compare my Ielts score with my Celpip score

How to compare my Ielts score with my Celpip score

Old Feb 1st 2019, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

TerryLambe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to compare my Ielts score with my Celpip score

Morning all,

Today i received my Ielts score, does anyone know how to compare them with my celpip score that I took 18 months ago, need to know if I improved.

any help is appreciated
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to compare my Ielts score with my Celpip score

Originally Posted by TerryLambe
Morning all,

Today i received my Ielts score, does anyone know how to compare them with my celpip score that I took 18 months ago, need to know if I improved.

any help is appreciated
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...cy-charts.html

HTH.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks but I have seen that chart but don’t know how to work it out?
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I have seen that chart but don’t know how to work it out?
You just need to convert your score to CLB levels.

Give us your scores and what you need it for (points score, if so which one i.e. FSW or CRS?), and we'll be happy to try and help, but we do need more info from you.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They are 2 different tests so the results may vary dependent on if you prefer doing one on the computer only or by using a written type test.

Read this link for varying opinions

https://community.movnorth.com/t/for...p-or-ielts/386

As they are 2 different tests the results won't be the same to see if you have improved or not unless you take the exact same test twice and then you can compare results.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As they are 2 different tests the results won't be the same to see if you have improved or not unless you take the exact same test twice and then you can compare results.
He'll be able to compare and see if he's gone up a level on the CLB though, for points purposes, which I assume is what he's after, but hopefully he'll clarify and then we can help.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

In my celpip I got:
listening-11
reading-7
writing-8
speaking-9

ielts I got a 7 overall

I don’t think celpip give an overall score?

thanks
Old Feb 1st 2019, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In my celpip I got:
listening-11
reading-7
writing-8
speaking-9

ielts I got a 7 overall

I don’t think celpip give an overall score?

thanks
Can you break down your IELTS score? Need them individually to get your CLB Levels, your overall score is no use for points purposes.

And what did you get for your listening CELPIP? It says 11, but I assume that's a typo!

Old Feb 1st 2019, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

11 isn’t a typo as celpip score goes up to 12,

ielts
listening 6.5
reading 6.5
writing 6.5
speaking 8

thank you
Old Feb 1st 2019, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, clearly much better at speaking then! So you can use those scores to find out your CLB levels using the link above - simply find the score in the table and follow it across to the equivalent CLB Level.

If you tell us what you're looking for the scores for, we can help you but you've still not mentioned if this is for points or something else? And if it is for points, for FSW or CRS?
Old Feb 1st 2019, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks

it’s for a BCPNP application, the higher my score the better chance I have
Old Feb 1st 2019, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi thanks

it’s for a BCPNP application, the higher my score the better chance I have
Right, thank you.

So for BC PNP points, they take your lowest CLB level and convert that. It looks like you've actually got the same lowest CLB for both tests, neither is better. So your language score for the PNP will be 18 whichever test you use, although you might want to use your IELTS as language tests are only valid for 2 years so your CELPIP is close to expiry.