houses

Old Dec 30th 2001, 6:55 pm
Andrew Miller

You find all kinds of houses in Canada. Newer houses are mostly frame construction
(the ones you call "plank shacks") - they are less expensive, healthier, better
insulated and easier to remodel than old brick and concrete buildings. The "normal
world" is also using frame construction more now, although it is not yet very popular
as the "normal world" is still very conservative. Note that brick houses are more
prone to earthquake damage then frame ones.

Metric system is standard in Canada, like in the rest of the world (except US where
some still strong lobbies for some strange reasons are trying to prevent full
implementation of metric system). But in the Canadian grocery stores you'll find
both, metric and imperial weights and volumes always indicated together.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 30th 2001, 7:00 pm
Swin

What is the common type of houses in Canada - is it the plank shacks they call houses
here in the US, or is it the real brick and concrete thing you find in the normal
world ? Is the metric system the system of choice in Canada, or are they using the
old imperial nonsense ? Tnkx

Old Dec 30th 2001, 9:18 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Also, brick homes are very cold even with cavity wall insulation. A brick home wall,
at best is R2 for each layer of brick, and about R5 to 8 for the filling (If you're
used to U factors, invert those numbers i.e. 1/R (They aren't RSI either)). A new
Canadian home has a minimum of R19 in just the insulation in the wall, and a total of
about R24 with the skin and trapped surfaces. When the temperature in the middle of
winter has highs of -50C to -10C, you'd have to be very rich to be able to heat a
house with R5 walls!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Although it has to be said that it is a half assed implementation here ... plumbing
is still imperial ... nuts and bolts and screws for common use are US imperial, cars
are mostly metric and major industry is too. When you buy milk, it comes in a metric
quantity bag / jug / carton ... 250 ml to 4 l Butter and margarine is sold in a
metric quantity ... sort of .... 454 gm packs! Gas (petrol) is by the litre.

We are less metrified than the UK ... but way more so than the US.

Stuart

Old Dec 30th 2001, 11:00 pm
Swin

Brick & concrete houses have concrete frame and are supposed to withstand earthquakes
too, even Japan and Taiwan build this way. My problem with the "plank shaks" is that
they look fragile and in need of constant maintenence, the wood rots, too. Also
floors are noisy in multistorey houses. In Europe I've seen wood houses but they look
sturdier, less noisy and are old. How about the high rise condos ? I've seen some in
San Francisco and they have plank floors too !!! You can hear people walking on top
of you.... That's bad

Old Dec 30th 2001, 11:39 pm
Berto Volpentesta

From what I can tell, and I am not a builder, but the houses are mostly = wood and/or
steel frame with brick exterior. No need to worry about = earthquake in Canada since
most of the country is solid rock and the = rest is clay.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
thing
    >
    >
    >