Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hi new and all and have questions...

Hi new and all and have questions...

Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

steve25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi new and all and have questions...

Hey. I have a ton of questions which i'm sure have been asked before and i have already begun reading past threads. I won't bombard everyone with all my questions at once and i'm still researching.

I'm planning to apply through BUNAC for the Work Canada 2010 programme. I'm hoping to be accepted onto the programme and see what life is like in Canada. If i love it, i'm hoping to emigrate there.

My first question regards the canadian experience class. Now, i understand that in order to meet the requirements, i must be on a temp work visa with 2 yrs canadian work experience or i must have studied at a Canadian post compulsory education institution for at least two years with one year's Canadiam work experience.

Now, if i go on the BUNAC programme and work one year in a casual job i.e. retail, bar work, admin in office etc, what are the chances that i can get a company to sponsor me to stay longer or for me to be offered a job permanently so that i can stay in Canada and reach the requirements for permanent residency?

If i take the graduate route, studying a master's won't be enough. I already have a BA in History and i will be going back to Uni to study my Master's this September. I'm thinking of studying a secong master's out there in canada if i enjoy my year there if accepted, but i don't understand the part about taking studying a master's and having to have one more years of study?!?!?!

Anyone have any advice as to my best route to Canada if i decide to emigrate?????
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi new and all and have questions...

Hi

Originally Posted by steve25
Hey. I have a ton of questions which i'm sure have been asked before and i have already begun reading past threads. I won't bombard everyone with all my questions at once and i'm still researching.

I'm planning to apply through BUNAC for the Work Canada 2010 programme. I'm hoping to be accepted onto the programme and see what life is like in Canada. If i love it, i'm hoping to emigrate there.

My first question regards the canadian experience class. Now, i understand that in order to meet the requirements, i must be on a temp work visa with 2 yrs canadian work experience or i must have studied at a Canadian post compulsory education institution for at least two years with one year's Canadiam work experience.

Now, if i go on the BUNAC programme and work one year in a casual job i.e. retail, bar work, admin in office etc, what are the chances that i can get a company to sponsor me to stay longer or for me to be offered a job permanently so that i can stay in Canada and reach the requirements for permanent residency?

For the CEC class the work must be SKILLED NOC A,B or O most casual jobs as you have listed fall into Unskilled or at most semi skilled.

If i take the graduate route, studying a master's won't be enough. I already have a BA in History and i will be going back to Uni to study my Master's this September. I'm thinking of studying a secong master's out there in canada if i enjoy my year there if accepted, but i don't understand the part about taking studying a master's and having to have one more years of study?!?!?!

You need 2 years of study in Canada plus one year of skilled work. By taking a second masters it needs to be 2 years, unless you have at least 1 year of post secondary schooling in Canada, then the Master's can be 1 academic year.

Anyone have any advice as to my best route to Canada if i decide to emigrate?????
Probably your best bet is to find employment in one of the jobs on the "list of 38" for at least a year and obtain an additional 3 years of skilled work. Unless you can find an employer on your BUNAC year to to submit an LMO for NOC Level A,B or O and you work at that job in Canada for a year, then you would qualify for FSW 3.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Probably your best bet is to find employment in one of the jobs on the "list of 38" for at least a year and obtain an additional 3 years of skilled work. Unless you can find an employer on your BUNAC year to to submit an LMO for NOC Level A,B or O and you work at that job in Canada for a year, then you would qualify for FSW 3.

I looked at the least and saw that 'Libarian' was one of the occupations. So if I was to find a job as a libarian, I could get PR through that?

Also, i didn't understand your part about education. Let's say i took a master's, if i took it part-time, would that count as 2 academic years?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

http://www.canreach.com/noc.asp

Thats the list i looked at. Is it the right one?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, 'least' is supposed to be list.

And this is the list i was looking at: http://www.canreach.com/noc.asp
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.canreach.com/noc.asp

Thats the list i looked at. Is it the right one?
No, that's not it. You need to go to the CIC website and it's on there. Or alternatively look in the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and just type 'the list' into the search box, that'll bring it up.

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry, 'least' is supposed to be list.

And this is the list i was looking at: http://www.canreach.com/noc.asp
this is the list you want http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...008-11-28a.asp and Librarian isn't on it.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

OK, let me get this right. Let's say i went and studied in Canada for two years then i wanted to work a year. Does that job i do directly after graduating have to be part of the list that has the 38 occupations that are currently in shortage??? What if i graduated after two years and done got a job in retail to tie me over before something else came up, would that count as skilled work??

Christ i'm confused. lol
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

OK, let me get this right. Let's say i went and studied in Canada for two years then i wanted to work a year. Does that job i do directly after graduating have to be part of the list that has the 38 occupations that are currently in shortage??? What if i graduated after two years and done got a job in retail to tie me over before something else came up, would that count as skilled work??

Christ i'm confused. lol
Nope,doesn't have to be in the "38" but must be skilled. The skilled work must be in NOC A,B or O. Look at the matrix http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...pdf/Matrix.pdf it shows major job titles and their classification.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Nope,doesn't have to be in the "38" but must be skilled. The skilled work must be in NOC A,B or O. Look at the matrix http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...pdf/Matrix.pdf it shows major job titles and their classification.
Cheers PMM and i'm glad to see that Libarian is part of skilled worker A!! Wooohoooooooo. lol

It kinda sucks in a way though, because most graduates under or post usually go into casual work before being accepted into their chosen career paths and i would probably only qualify for a post graduation work visa that last 1 year :/

That list i posted in my previous post, what list is that then? Because at the top, it said the list was stating all the jobs listed for skilled workers 0, a and b.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:17 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Cheers PMM and i'm glad to see that Libarian is part of skilled worker A!! Wooohoooooooo. lol

It kinda sucks in a way though, because most graduates under or post usually go into casual work before being accepted into their chosen career paths and i would probably only qualify for a post graduation work visa that last 1 year :/

That list i posted in my previous post, what list is that then? Because at the top, it said the list was stating all the jobs listed for skilled workers 0, a and b.
Just someone copying all the jobs from the NOC that fall into A,B & O levels of skilled work.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve, did you know that the BUNAC Visa requirements have just changed, and that you can take more than one Student Visa and a non-student one, without having to return to the UK for a year in between either? Which may mean, if you go after your Masters, or beforehand if you've graduated in the last 12 months, I think you can essentially get a 2-year working holiday Visa...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rodge9
Steve, did you know that the BUNAC Visa requirements have just changed, and that you can take more than one Student Visa and a non-student one, without having to return to the UK for a year in between either? Which may mean, if you go after your Masters, or beforehand if you've graduated in the last 12 months, I think you can essentially get a 2-year working holiday Visa...
Yeah i know. But if i get accepted onto Bunac for a student visa and by chance i then re-apply again as a non student and spend two years working in Canada, i couldn't then apply for PR could i??
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i know. But if i get accepted onto Bunac for a student visa and by chance i then re-apply again as a non student and spend two years working in Canada, i couldn't then apply for PR could i??
Why not? I thought quite a few people on here have done that...and the extra year would give you more time time to find a job, allow the economy to improve (I hope), get applications processed...etc. I'm not an expert, as I'm looking to do the same thing myself, which is why I was interested.