Wikiposts

Hi Andrew Miller!

Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

timetomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Andrew Miller!

Dear Sir,

I was wondering if you wouldnt mind sharing your thoughts and expertise regarding the following:

I was working freelance for a 18 months (with an accumulative total of about 1 year) for my father tv production company in a NOC recognised role. However, one could almost call it training as my salary was largely paid in living expenses ( room and food).

Could I call this 'Unpaid work experience' and include it in the Work experience section of a Skilled Worker visa app?
This was a very valuable term of 'employment' and has helped make me employable!
How could I make it count?? should I prepare a contract ?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:47 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi Andrew Miller!

If you can't document that it was paid employment then most likely it won't count. And for sure it can't be used to meet the minimum 12 months of full time, paid work experience requirement.

Originally Posted by timetomove
Dear Sir,

I was wondering if you wouldnt mind sharing your thoughts and expertise regarding the following:

I was working freelance for a 18 months (with an accumulative total of about 1 year) for my father tv production company in a NOC recognised role. However, one could almost call it training as my salary was largely paid in living expenses ( room and food).

Could I call this 'Unpaid work experience' and include it in the Work experience section of a Skilled Worker visa app?
This was a very valuable term of 'employment' and has helped make me employable!
How could I make it count?? should I prepare a contract ?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tim
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Oh ok.
Yeah, I have 3 years of other work, I just wanted to get more points.
Are you telling me a job will only count if it was paid employment and has tax records?

thanks.

(really appreciate this)
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:16 am

Yes, officers processing application will only consider paid work experience that has been conclusively documented and is verifiable.

Oh ok.
Yeah, I have 3 years of other work, I just wanted to get more points.
Are you telling me a job will only count if it was paid employment and has tax records?

thanks.

(really appreciate this)
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Does that mean, if i didnt pay tax on earnings they cant verify the employment?

I can provide a signed contract and reference from my father and get the whole thing notarised, no?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:25 am

You initially wrote that was an unpaid employment - thus any letter from your father stating otherwise may be doubted and if company cannot provide evidence (payroll record) showing that you were paid and your employment reported to proper tax authority you may be accused of misrepresentation. Are you willing to take such risk?

Remember that in cases of employment by relatives evidence is almost always in doubt and additional verification is required.

Does that mean, if i didnt pay tax on earnings they cant verify the employment?

I can provide a signed contract and reference from my father and get the whole thing notarised, no?