Help with a work permit refusal

Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Geof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with a work permit refusal

My son, Liam, went to Canada in 2011 to attend school. He graduated in 2012 and got a 3 year post-graduate work permit. In 2014 he applied for PR. On June 30th 2015 he received his COPR. They asked him to come in for his interview and to bring his work permit. When he grabbed it it was expired by 2 days.

The CIC agent said he could either go to the border and get his PR or apply for reinstatement of his status since it was less than 90 days expired. He said don't go to the border as they may refuse to admit him.

He applied for reinstatement and they received it on July 17th 2015. He had to stop work immediately and we have been supporting him financially ever since. Today he got a letter from CIC saying his reinstatement had been refused!

What can he do now? Can he still go to the border and get a visitor visa? Since he has his COPR can this be sorted or is he screwed?

Thanks
Geof
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:15 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with a work permit refusal

I'm so confused... Why did he need his work permit if he had COPR? Why didn't he just land or has he landed? In which case he can work.. Why would they refuse to admit him if he had COPR forms?!

Last edited by Tirytory; Nov 30th 2015 at 12:18 am.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Apparently the work permit was his proof of status in Canada. He couldn't go to their office with an expired work permit. They said he needed to get it reinstated first.

Is this incorrect because it sounds a bit silly since he has this COPR. I could drive him back and forth across the border if that is the useful thing to do but what about the 4 months he has been sitting waiting for their reinstatement answer? I understand he was allowed to stay while he waited as long as he did not work.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When does the COPR expire?
Probably the reason they refused the reinstatement (work permit) is that because he was issued with the COPR forms and wouldn't need to have a work permit if he landed.
COPR forms usually expire from 12 months of the medical exam results or sooner if passport expires within the timeframe.
Under Application Details there is Expiry date.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:23 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geof
Apparently the work permit was his proof of status in Canada. He couldn't go to their office with an expired work permit. They said he needed to get it reinstated first.

Is this incorrect because it sounds a bit silly since he has this COPR. I could drive him back and forth across the border if that is the useful thing to do but what about the 4 months he has been sitting waiting for their reinstatement answer? I understand he was allowed to stay while he waited as long as he did not work.
Well I'm sure FL will correct me if I'm wrong but you don't need proof of status in country as you land as you're entering Canada.. So you could be flying in from the UK or anywhere.. Your son could have just crossed the border or gone on holiday and come back and landed..
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:24 am
Just Joined

The expiry is the 8th June 2020.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The expiry is the 8th June 2020.
What for the COPR form are you sure?
Look at this link for a screen shot of a COPR form
https://www.google.ca/search?q=copr+...JjG02Hnv3wU%3D
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:31 am
Just Joined

My bad, that was his passport. The expiry is 14th April 2016.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My bad, that was his passport. The expiry is 14th April 2016.
So he takes the COPR form to the border and does the landing and takes a list of any goods to follow. He then takes the COPR form and passport to a Service Canada office and gets a new permanent SIN and then he can work immediately.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Well his work permit is now expired by 4 months. I guess I won't mention that and hope they don't ask. His new passport has no stamps anyway

If you think that's the right course I'll dump him in a car now and drive him down.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:50 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Don't forget your passports and good luck!
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Well his work permit is now expired by 4 months. I guess I won't mention that and hope they don't ask. His new passport has no stamps anyway

If you think that's the right course I'll dump him in a car now and drive him down.
With all due respect: *you* won't mention anything, because it's your son's COPR, & as an adult, *he'll* do any talking necessary.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Point taken.

Long story short, we just returned from the border. All stamped, landed and legal. Many thanks guys.

Cheers
Geof
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent!