Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP, Sponsorship of abusive husband.

HELP, Sponsorship of abusive husband.

Old May 4th 2014, 6:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP, Sponsorship of abusive husband.

A friends former husband had witnessed his Father being emotionally and verbally abusive towards his Mother until he was 11 years old. Despite what his Mother thought, he wasn't too young to pick up on it, nor too young to believe that that is how women are supposed to be treated - nor too young to believe that it was acceptable and women deserved no better.

He treated 2 wives the same way.

He is now a lonely man.

Is that what you want for your son?

Get a grip and look at the big picture. Your son doesn't need to be exposed to that every day.
Old May 4th 2014, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

How is the guy's mom getting in on the action as well?

As others have said, get away and let the dad figure out how to see his son.
Old May 4th 2014, 7:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How is the guy's mom getting in on the action as well?

As others have said, get away and let the dad figure out how to see his son.
... adding to this. You have a choice and opportunity to act now in the best interest of yourself and your child. Your husband is putting it all on you from what you say. Doing nothing, you put it all on you. Only you know your situation and what it the right thing to do, an Internet forum is not really going to be able to advise you, nor should you base your actions on what a load of strangers say, who don't not know or fully understand the situation. A parents action or inaction can mold a child's future.
Old May 5th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I'm confused... You're going through spousal sponsorship which in itself isn't healthy if he's abusive. BUT you have a boyfriend? How does that work with immigration? Wouldn't they have an issue if they found out?

I left my ex because he was mentally cruel (can't quite bring myself to say abusive but maybe I should). It took me a long time to rediscover my self-worth...
I live here with my kids and the ex is in the UK... If he wanted a relationship with his sons he still could. In my case I often wondered whether he kept in contact with them to get at me...could that be the real reason your ex is still around? My boys keep being let down by him, don't let that happen to your little boy.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:45 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
No offence, but you need to catch yourself on.
Pretty much this.
Old May 5th 2014, 12:53 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

General +1 to everything in this thread. Your son will catch on to what's going on, and when he gets older he will either treat women the same way as he sees his father treat his mother, or he will be old enough to realise that Dad's a jerk and that's not how decent humans should act.

Pull the sponsorships and get your son away from this man.
Old May 5th 2014, 1:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonymous88

He left me when our son was 8 months old, I pulled original sponsorship because of the circumstances back in 2010. After 2 years of him being gone, coming back to Canada to visit our son... I decided I wanted to sponsor him to move here again, we were working things out in our marriage.. and our son was so devastated constantly with him being gone.....
He's a great father though, and my son and him are so bonded.. and I do not want to break that bond.
All it takes is picturing my sons face when his heart shatters knowing his dads going again. They really are best friends (
Excuse me for wandering in from overseas but the above points scream out at me. To begin with your son would not have been devastated constantly by his father being gone, he would have picked up on whatever guilt or emotion you were feeling, he's too young to be devastated by anything.

Secondly, they are not best friends, they are father and son and a few of the main things a father does for his son is teach him to be a decent, honest and loving human being. By allowing your husband to abuse you, you and your husband are teaching your son that the above ideals are wrong. You're doing both you and your son a complete disservice and your MiL is also encouraging that behaviour. You need to rethink what you believe your son needs in order to grow up to be someone you love and can be proud of.

I'm really sorry you're in the position you are but enabling your husband to continue his abuse at both emotional and financial cost to you is not the way to go.
Old May 6th 2014, 9:26 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

my 2 cents: you can put up with the abuse for sure, you're an adult and you're aware of what's going on but the child is caught in the middle of the two people who are supposed to be providing the basis for it's understanding of the world and you're teaching them that it's ok to let people treat you like shit.

this guy sounds like a dick. he may be a great dad but he's a pisspoor excuse for a man. withdraw your sponsorship and cut him loose. yes there'll be tears and for the longest time your kid will be heartbroken and it will make you feel so bad to see them hurting but just think about this: you're no use to your child if you let someone grind you to dust.
Old May 7th 2014, 6:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 22nd 2014, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

anonymous88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update, my ex decided he "couldn't put up with me anymore and he had to go back to England" So... he's gone.. for the best really.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old May 22nd 2014, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for the future.
Old May 22nd 2014, 10:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update, my ex decided he "couldn't put up with me anymore and he had to go back to England" So... he's gone.. for the best really.

Old May 22nd 2014, 10:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You still need legal assistance to deal with any custody issues.
I'm glad you are in a better place.
But please protect yourself from future issues.
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Delighted to hear this. But:

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
You still need legal assistance to deal with any custody issues.
I'm glad you are in a better place.
But please protect yourself from future issues.
^^^^ Yep. Time to be proactive & get this (custody) sorted.

Good luck & for you & your son.

S