Help, numerous questions!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Lucy Clarke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, numerous questions!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
My husband and I, are 25 years old, English and are looking into emmigrating to Canada, probably Toronto, and we have a few questions we would like answering as it seems everywhere else we look, all the answers are very non commital to say the least.
1. I have a psychology degree and am currently studying for a diploma in nursing, specifically learning disabilities. I have heard that these qualifications are not recognised in Canada, and i would have to retrain for x amount of years to come up to scratch, is that true?
2. My husband is a Police Officer, but would obvioulsy have to become a citizen before applying to join a Force in Canada. He is currently qualifying to become a personal trainer/ fitness instructor. Are there jobs in that field?
3. He is also toying with the idea of taking his French A level. Is that recommended? Is it recognised as a qualification?
4. My great Aunt and Uncle live in Toronto and are Canadian citizens, they are willing to sponsor us, but I have a feeling because I am married and they are a 'distant relative category' would they be able to?
5. If they were, do they have to make the application first?
6. When applying, do you have to prove you have sufficient funds at the time of the application? We will have sufficient money if we get approved, as the sale of our house will give us more than enough, but at the moment with me being a student, that sort of cash is not free flowing!!?
Muchos questions I know, but nowhere seems to tell you like it is.
Your replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help, numerous questions!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Lucy Clarke
Hi,
My husband and I, are 25 years old, English and are looking into emmigrating to Canada, probably Toronto, and we have a few questions we would like answering as it seems everywhere else we look, all the answers are very non commital to say the least.
1. I have a psychology degree and am currently studying for a diploma in nursing, specifically learning disabilities. I have heard that these qualifications are not recognised in Canada, and i would have to retrain for x amount of years to come up to scratch, is that true?

> Check on canadian immigration web site, tehre is a list of approved professions.

2. My husband is a Police Officer, but would obvioulsy have to become a citizen before applying to join a Force in Canada. He is currently qualifying to become a personal trainer/ fitness instructor. Are there jobs in that field?

> Chack again in that list.

3. He is also toying with the idea of taking his French A level. Is that recommended? Is it recognised as a qualification?

> Will help you to gain points for the application

4. My great Aunt and Uncle live in Toronto and are Canadian citizens, they are willing to sponsor us, but I have a feeling because I am married and they are a 'distant relative category' would they be able to?

> Not sure

> I don;t think, you have to mention that in you application.

6. When applying, do you have to prove you have sufficient funds at the time of the application? We will have sufficient money if we get approved, as the sale of our house will give us more than enough, but at the moment with me being a student, that sort of cash is not free flowing!!?

> There is certain amount of money you have to show when you submit your application. Check this amount in the web site.

> Muchas respuestas, that's why we are here... Good luck !!!

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lucy

Hi,

Thanks
1. You should check with the College of Nurses in the Ontario and through their web site: http://www.cno.org/ to see where your qualifications need up grading.

2. Your husband can apply as a permanent resident for policing jobs. He would have to take re-training to meet Canadian standards. See: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/

3. The French probably would not give him any additional points in the language ability, You both should take the assessment on
www.cic.gc.ca to determine who makes the higher points and should be the principle applicant.

4. Not close enough in relationship to get the 5 points.

5. You need to prove settlement funds upfront. Your house equity should not be taken into consideration.

6. Ignore Madhatters comment about checking the list, there is no longer any list of approved jobs.

7. You really should read the Canada's Immigration website.

www.cic.gc.ca

PMM
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 6:29 am
mad bunny

Originally posted by PMM
Hi Lucy

1. You should check with the College of Nurses in the Ontario and through their web site: http://www.cno.org/ to see where your qualifications need up grading.

2. Your husband can apply as a permanent resident for policing jobs. He would have to take re-training to meet Canadian standards. See: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/

3. The French probably would not give him any additional points in the language ability, You both should take the assessment on
www.cic.gc.ca to determine who makes the higher points and should be the principle applicant.

4. Not close enough in relationship to get the 5 points.

5. You need to prove settlement funds upfront. Your house equity should not be taken into consideration.

6. Ignore Madhatters comment about checking the list, there is no longer any list of approved jobs.

7. You really should read the Canada's Immigration website.

www.cic.gc.ca

PMM

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice

Hi,
Thanks
Check the cic website on the minimum required amount of funds - if I remember it right it is in the region of C$ 12K to C$ 15K for a family of two. If you are still short of funds and still very keen to apply, get a property valuer to do a valuation report on your property and submit this with your application. Include in your application every possible proof of funds that you currently have eg bank statements & F/D certs, details of shares you own etc.

Include your husbands latest pay slip, his latest income tax statement, and documentation stating he has a permanent job.
If you own a car, state its estimated value and include documentation to prove that you own it.

It's a risk, and your application may still be rejected.....it really depends on how keen you are on applying.

Cheers.