Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help on Marital Status (Applying for self-employment)

Help on Marital Status (Applying for self-employment)

Old Sep 26th 2020, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Nansonstick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on Marital Status (Applying for self-employment)

Hi,

I am about to submit an application for Canada PR under the self-employment programme. I have been in a relationship for over 1.5 years, but it is long distance so far, with me traveling back and forth to Turkey from Scotland to see her. The forms say that you have to have been living together continuously for at least one year. So, I'm thinking that as I don't meet that criteria, I cannot include her in my app? Is that correct? Or is there an option to include her?
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on Marital Status (Applying for self-employment)

As you are not married or meet the definition of common law then she is just a girlfriend so cant be included.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Nansonstick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
As you are not married or meet the definition of common law then she is just a girlfriend so cant be included.
Oh ok, thank you so much for your response. Just have two follow questions if that's ok?

Hypothetically, If we get marrried/live together for one before they grant me PR, can I inform them of this change and have them look at my application? Or if we haven't lived together continuously for one year, and I'm given PR, could I sponser her as a spouse if we got married?
Old Sep 26th 2020, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you have submitted the application then get married or qualify as common law you must inform IRCC of the change in circumstances. Processing time is showing as 23 months.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html

This is hypothetical as I get and I also don't do What Ifs ands or buts.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

I have this same issue but we couldn't move in due to covid. We do however, have a small selection of proof that shows we have known each other since 2007.

We will only have lived together 2/3months once we submit our application but we're getting married in that time too. We also share the same friends since his brother is married to my school friend. He's also known my family since 2007 so they will write us some letters.

The application states if you are married, you can forgoe the req to live together for 12 months but they do ask for more proof, ie.. Marriage cert, photos, story of how you met, proof of contact or visits.
We will use our latest call history from this year, Facebook tagged pictures/media since 2007 and proof bills in our names together. He will also contact the company he works for but at their branch where we are moving to. It also helps that some family are already there so I can demonstrate ties and intention to stay living there since I am the sponsor.

They will look for proof that it isn't a false marriage to someone for money/citizenships etc.

Decide which route you wish to take and go through your application with a fine tooth comb. We're doing that now.

Best of luck

Last edited by DarwinCharles; Sep 27th 2020 at 10:05 am.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 4:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nansonstick
Oh ok, thank you so much for your response. Just have two follow questions if that's ok?

Hypothetically, If we get marrried/live together for one before they grant me PR, can I inform them of this change and have them look at my application? Or if we haven't lived together continuously for one year, and I'm given PR, could I sponser her as a spouse if we got married?
Be careful how you do this, if this is what you are thinking.. you MUST inform them if you live together for a year or get married before you have your landing interview - failure to do so will result in you never being able to sponsor them and potentially having your application re-evaluated. If you get married before you land and have your spouse added to your application, you will have to wait while they have their background checks done, their application processed, medical blah blah blah before your PR is granted...https://community.movnorth.com/t/add...-progress/4211 describes the process - and this (substitute the word wife instead of child) https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1365&top=14

Provided you haven't lived together nor married, once you have been in Canada for a while as a PR you should be able to sponsor your spouse (once you get married) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ner-child.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 28th 2020 at 8:09 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 28th 2020, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Smoother to get married first, then apply (imo).