Help with landing address?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:11 pm

gjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with landing address?

Just a quick question, we used a reputable Canada-based immigration lawyer for our application (I know, unpopular decision, but we needed the help!). We are going over for a recce shortly and are using this opportunity to land. We have the permission of the lawyer to use their address for our PR cards-has anyone ever used lawyer address for PR cards, just wondering if this decision will sit well with immigration officers upon landing so any advice very welcome.
Thanks!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice
Default Re: Help with landing address?

Hi

When are you looking to live in country full time? You will have until May next year looking at your time line. You don't have to land when you do your recce.

John
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:11 pm

gjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks John, we are doing recce and landing at the same time as we don't intend to move for at least another year. I know I should be more confident in the lawyer's advice but I just didn't want to find that I couldn't use it at the last minute so wondered if anyone else had ever done this.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it will be a problem to use the lawyers address, but there is no obligation to give an address at all when you land, you have 6 months to give them an address to send cards to before you have to pay for replacement PR cards.

Its arguable that you dont need the PR card anyway to return to canada if you are traveling on a UK (or other visa waiver) passport on a return ticket.

Landing "early" may or may not be a good idea. I suppose on the plus side you are here, so might as well do it before your medicals expire, but on the other hand it eats into a year of your allowable absence to maintain your permanent status, should something crop up that requires you to be outside of Canada for a while later on...
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I used a virtual office, not a law firm, to get my card. The card was sent to that address.

I don't know if this is a official policy or not, I remember reading somewhere that CIC may not send cards to a commercial address (again, not sure if that's true). As a precaution, I wrote "Apartment Number", instead of "Suite Number" for the address.

The virtual office was in a mixed use building with both offices and residential apartments.

Ray