Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:59 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Hey everyone,

First time posting....in a bit of a debacle.....

I'm Canadian while my girlfriend is British. We met when I was studying over in England and have been together now for 2 years. She came over this past summer and absolutely loved it. I am back in Canada and am looking at how to apply/sponsor her into coming over to Canada. The issue is however, we have not lived together for a full year. I was in University up North while she worked down south in Cambridge.....I guess what I'm asking is.....What is the best route to take in applying for her to come over? Work visa? I can't do the sponsor a spouse I'm guessing....any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.
Tototoro is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:08 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,874
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

If shes under 30 then the IEC programme is a good start. Get her to read this link and apply when it opens probably very early 2014
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:26 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

We were looking at this option a few months back. But from my understanding is that after that year she will have to leave? Or is it possible for her to extend her stay after as long as the company is willing to keep her on?
Tototoro is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:49 am
  #4  
Britnadian
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 238
hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Tototoro
We were looking at this option a few months back. But from my understanding is that after that year she will have to leave? Or is it possible for her to extend her stay after as long as the company is willing to keep her on?
It is, I did a similar thing. Basically come over on IEC and find a job that's willing to do the paperwork etc (I offered to pay all the fees etc) to do either the Provincial Nomination Program for your Province (btw, the rest of this reply assumes the BC PNP) or the Federal Skilled Worker Program (PNP being the preferable one usually). Get the application in as soon as you are able ideally 4-6 months before the end of the IEC visa.

IF you are accepted, the BC PNP Program (and I believe others too) can issue you a letter that you can take to the border to get a new Work Permit that will cover the time while your PR application is processing.

Essentially you come in on IEC then transition to PNP stream...
hpka is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:59 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by hpka
It is, I did a similar thing. Basically come over on IEC and find a job that's willing to do the paperwork etc (I offered to pay all the fees etc) to do either the Provincial Nomination Program for your Province (btw, the rest of this reply assumes the BC PNP) or the Federal Skilled Worker Program (PNP being the preferable one usually). Get the application in as soon as you are able ideally 4-6 months before the end of the IEC visa.

IF you are accepted, the BC PNP Program (and I believe others too) can issue you a letter that you can take to the border to get a new Work Permit that will cover the time while your PR application is processing.

Essentially you come in on IEC then transition to PNP stream...

I'm from Alberta but I'm going to assume that the process wouldn't be too different. How long have you been in Canada now hpka? And how old were you when you did this if you don't mind me asking?
Tototoro is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:05 am
  #6  
Britnadian
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 238
hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

I've been here 4 years (since I landed on an IEC visa, although it was a BUNAC visa back then). I was 26 when I started all this and 28 when I got my PR through the PNP route.
hpka is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:07 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by hpka
I've been here 4 years (since I landed on an IEC visa, although it was a BUNAC visa back then). I was 26 when I started all this and 28 when I got my PR through the PNP route.
I would ask for advice on getting the PR etc.....but I think we'll tackle one hurdle at a time! I hope you're enjoying it out over here!
Tototoro is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:13 am
  #8  
Britnadian
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 238
hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

My main advice is research all the routes available (at the moment, focusing mainly on her as an individual, rather than you sponsoring her) on cic.gc.ca and the appropriate body for the Alberta PNP program. Once you know what's available and what to do to qualify for each, work out the most realistic plan (e.g. I decided that PNP was the best plan, because I could go down that route with the Federal Skilled Worker program as an alternative/back up, but as I did so, I would accumulate enough time for the Canadian Experience Class).

Sounds a bit like I'm telling you to go off and read the book, please don't think that's the nature of my response. More it's from being in the same situation, I felt a lot better knowing that I had researched realistic options from an authoritative source (the CIC/BC PNP) and knew what I could do and what I would try instead in case one route didn't work out. Fortunately, and again due to preparation and careful research, my main plan did work.

Having IEC visas to get through the door is a big advantage BTW. You're not asking an employer to hire without meeting their employee. Having knowledge is too as you will find most employers (and certainly most managers within) will turn to you for your knowledge on this matter as they may not know themselves, or base it on urban legends.
hpka is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:21 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by hpka
My main advice is research all the routes available (at the moment, focusing mainly on her as an individual, rather than you sponsoring her) on cic.gc.ca and the appropriate body for the Alberta PNP program. Once you know what's available and what to do to qualify for each, work out the most realistic plan (e.g. I decided that PNP was the best plan, because I could go down that route with the Federal Skilled Worker program as an alternative/back up, but as I did so, I would accumulate enough time for the Canadian Experience Class).

Sounds a bit like I'm telling you to go off and read the book, please don't think that's the nature of my response. More it's from being in the same situation, I felt a lot better knowing that I had researched realistic options from an authoritative source (the CIC/BC PNP) and knew what I could do and what I would try instead in case one route didn't work out. Fortunately, and again due to preparation and careful research, my main plan did work.

Having IEC visas to get through the door is a big advantage BTW. You're not asking an employer to hire without meeting their employee. Having knowledge is too as you will find most employers (and certainly most managers within) will turn to you for your knowledge on this matter as they may not know themselves, or base it on urban legends.
Yea, I agree that the IEC will be a great step through the door for her as long as the company is willing to keep her on afterwards etc. I'll have to look more into the different types of routes available if this one doesn't pan out.....

Just a question about the IEC. Do you choose the dates which you want it to begin or do they automatically set it from ie. Sept 2014 - Sept2015? My girlfriend is doing a Masters this year so the earliest she would come out here would probably be September time. I was just wondering whether or not this would be an issue to those issuing the IEC.
Tototoro is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:32 am
  #10  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Tototoro
Yea, I agree that the IEC will be a great step through the door for her as long as the company is willing to keep her on afterwards etc. I'll have to look more into the different types of routes available if this one doesn't pan out.....

Just a question about the IEC. Do you choose the dates which you want it to begin or do they automatically set it from ie. Sept 2014 - Sept2015? My girlfriend is doing a Masters this year so the earliest she would come out here would probably be September time. I was just wondering whether or not this would be an issue to those issuing the IEC.
No problem. She'd have 12 months from date of issuance to activate the first year. September would be fine. She can also apply for a second year without leaving Canada.

Also, if you cohabit (and document that fact) for the 12 months, you could apply for common law spousal sponsorship on her behalf even if the employer wouldn't play ball.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:39 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No problem. She'd have 12 months from date of issuance to activate the first year. September would be fine. She can also apply for a second year without leaving Canada.

Also, if you cohabit (and document that fact) for the 12 months, you could apply for common law spousal sponsorship on her behalf even if the employer wouldn't play ball.
Thats awesome!! I didn't even think of that possibility of combining the two! Thanks for that! Thought it's still no easy task, these visas are not looking as dim as I originally thought....haha
Tototoro is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 12:56 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 744
chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Tototoro
Thats awesome!! I didn't even think of that possibility of combining the two! Thanks for that! Thought it's still no easy task, these visas are not looking as dim as I originally thought....haha
since you can get 2 iec visas - you'll have your girlfriend sponsored before the second year is up.

This is how I got in - 1 year iec (while living with boyfriend in Ontario, collecting evidence of a marriage like relationship). I had PR 6 months into the 2nd iec visa

Last edited by chanceUK; Sep 12th 2013 at 2:00 pm.
chanceUK is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2013, 2:42 am
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 14
tdavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Tototoro
We were looking at this option a few months back. But from my understanding is that after that year she will have to leave? Or is it possible for her to extend her stay after as long as the company is willing to keep her on?
I had no problems getting a second 1 year IEC visa, if i recall you're allowed 3 of them before you're 30.

However, you can't "renew" them, you have to go through the entire process again when applying. I ended up having to return to the UK for 2 months waiting for the second one to be approved.

Worth saving a copy of all the forms and info for each, made completing the second application much easier having a previous successful one to reference when filling out the lengthy forms.
tdavies is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2013, 2:47 am
  #14  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by tdavies
I had no problems getting a second 1 year IEC visa, if i recall you're allowed 3 of them before you're 30.

However, you can't "renew" them, you have to go through the entire process again when applying. I ended up having to return to the UK for 2 months waiting for the second one to be approved.

Worth saving a copy of all the forms and info for each, made completing the second application much easier having a previous successful one to reference when filling out the lengthy forms.
Not quite, it's a maximum of 2 ( 2 x 1 year) or 1 if you are Irish or Australian (they get a 2 year one). You can apply provided you are under 31 at the time of application - 35 for Ireland and Australia.

If you are waiting for a 2nd IEC WHP, you can apply to change your status to visitor - that way you don't need to leave Canada during the interval.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2013, 2:51 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help/Advice for Girlfriend

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not quite, it's a maximum of 2 ( 2 x 1 year) or 1 if you are Irish or Australian (they get a 2 year one). You can apply provided you are under 31 at the time of application - 35 for Ireland and Australia.

If you are waiting for a 2nd IEC WHP, you can apply to change your status to visitor - that way you don't need to leave Canada during the interval.

You've all been a great help! Thank you! And keep any other suggestions/ideas coming please! They're very much appreciated!!
Tototoro is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.