health question for you

Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all
Question health question for you

Can you give me a wee bit of advice , I am currently waiting in the back log of applicants (I applied in self employed category for some strange reason, no one else seems to so dont know why i'm in a queue) .
Anyway, can anyone tell me if my parents emigrated & gained PR if they would be entitled to medical expenses such as prescriptions etc. they would be retired by then, i know they can still claim their british pension, but it is just a worry in case health did deteriorate in the future, or do you think they would have to have private med insurance.
Thanks for any advice,

Justie
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health question for you

In Ontario at least all seniors have access to reduced drug costs.

bare in mind though that UK state pensions are NOT index linked to inflation if claimed in Canada... they will be frozen at their last UK level if your parents move here.

Other medical expenses, such as dental, opticians, physio etc, would have to be paid for. Supplemental health insurance for an elderly couple might well be prohibitively expensive...

Last edited by iaink; Mar 17th 2009 at 5:00 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:36 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justie

Can you give me a wee bit of advice , I am currently waiting in the back log of applicants (I applied in self employed category for some strange reason, no one else seems to so dont know why i'm in a queue) .
Anyway, can anyone tell me if my parents emigrated & gained PR if they would be entitled to medical expenses such as prescriptions etc. they would be retired by then, i know they can still claim their british pension, but it is just a worry in case health did deteriorate in the future, or do you think they would have to have private med insurance.
Thanks for any advice,

Justie
I think it may vary from Province to Province. Certainly once they gain PR they are entitled to healthcare regardless of where they are but as for prescription drugs these are not normally covered by government healthcare. I understand that in NS people over retirement age get free prescription medication but I'm not sure if its the same everywhere.

I hope you dont mind me asking but are you definitely eligible for the Self-Employed Class? Are you a farmer or do you work in athletics or a cultural occupation?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I hope you dont mind me asking but are you definitely eligible for the Self-Employed Class? Are you a farmer or do you work in athletics or a cultural occupation?
One of his previous posts says he's a physiotherapist..............so I really hope he hasn't applied via self employed stream, hopefully that's just a typo!!

Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Thank you all for your prompt replies.
It would be Nova Scotia we would be settling in so maybe i should ask this question to nova scotia office of immigration would they be best?
But thanx for that.

I am not a he but a she and my you have a good memory!

My husband is main applicant he is a wood worker and creates hand crafted , arty furniture etc hence should meet the cultural requirements. I'm a physio so did have the option of Sw class too but at the time decided not to, now wish i had as i applied Feb 2007 and have seen on here applicants of that time starting to be processed. oh well what will be will be.

Thanks for your help
Justie
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Self employed is actually a much wider class than I expected, covering occupations from Librarian to Journalist to Interior Designer.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ons.aspx?val=5
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:48 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
Self employed is actually a much wider class than I expected, covering occupations from Librarian to Journalist to Interior Designer.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ons.aspx?val=5
Mark you are correct about it being more all-encompassing than most people think. But dont forget there is also a requirement to make a "significant contribution" in one of these.

CIC website distinguishes between 2 groups of people that can apply:

- those that have participated at a wolrld-class level in athletics or cultural activities (so these people dont necessarily have to have been self-employed in the past but must be planning to be so in the future)

- those people who have been self-employed in athletics or cultural activities (so these people dont have to be at a world-class level).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Mark you are correct about it being more all-encompassing than most people think. But dont forget there is also a requirement to make a "significant contribution" in one of these.

CIC website distinguishes between 2 groups of people that can apply:

- those that have participated at a wolrld-class level in athletics or cultural activities (so these people dont necessarily have to have been self-employed in the past but must be planning to be so in the future)

- those people who have been self-employed in athletics or cultural activities (so these people dont have to be at a world-class level).
So you have to be a world class librarian or interior designer? Ah, that's a bit more tricky!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:53 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
So you have to be a world class librarian or interior designer? Ah, that's a bit more tricky!
No, what I was trying to say is that if you are a self-employed interior designer you dont have to be world-class. But if you were not self-employed you would have to be. In either case you would have to plan to become self-employed once in Canada.