Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Have job offer - what's the best way to get out to Calgary?

Have job offer - what's the best way to get out to Calgary?

Old May 7th 2007, 11:31 am
Account Closed

slyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have job offer - what's the best way to get out to Calgary?

Hi,

I have an IT job offer in Calgary, and would like to work out there for a while.

It seems I could go on a working holiday visa, or get a LMO and work permit?

Could anyone advise me on which way to go? I'm guessing that a holiday visa would let me work for other people, whereas a permit would keep me with that employer. If I wanted to try and stay on longer, and keep working for the company, maybe look at PR, would WHV or WP have the greater potential?

Thanks
Old May 7th 2007, 2:21 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have job offer - what's the best way to get out to Calgary?

LMO and work permit!!!!!!!!!

They are work permits becuase it's what you need to work!

You really need to do this properly! If you are going over for a period to continue working for a company you are already employed by then whatever - but a brand new company???? You need to be 100% right with your paper work.

28 days for work permit after 10 days -3 weeks for the LMO. If you go for this route you can also then apply for residency if you like it.

Don't mess about with being there through any way that's not 100% straight - it's really not worth it.

Also do what I am sure the rest of us have done and go on the CIC website for more details.......
Old May 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slyder
Hi,

I have an IT job offer in Calgary, and would like to work out there for a while.

Could anyone advise me on which way to go? I'm guessing that a holiday visa would let me work for other people, whereas a permit would keep me with that employer. If I wanted to try and stay on longer, and keep working for the company, maybe look at PR, would WHV or WP have the greater potential?

Thanks
Bunac is the working holiday visa, there are some age restrictions, search this forum, you will find lots of people who have moved to Canada this way and then gone on to apply for their PR.
Old May 7th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

BUNAC website here http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/ - the only problem with these are that they are limited. Another problem with these is that you can't "extend" them with another BUNAC - you would have to go through LMO to be able to stay in the country and work.

WP & LMO - would just like to add my tuppeneth to what Mrs Miggins has said. LMO's for Alberta are taking much longer than 3 weeks as you stated due to the huge shortage of skills in the province.

WP's applied for from London are taking much longer than the 28 days quoted - some members on here posted theirs to London early Feb 2007 and are still waiting

Just think we should be realistic to people with timelines.

Should the OP want to check LMO and WP timelines see here for Gleech's thread - much realistic than guesstimates.

Gaynor
x
Old May 7th 2007, 7:05 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
If you have a job offer, and are considering PR, work permit is the best route to take.

If you just want to go for a year, have freedom to work for whoever you want, and are not interested in PR - BUNAC is for you.
Old May 7th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Have job offer - what's the best way to get out to Calgary?

If you can get your future employer to go with the lmo you COULD be there quite quick. I have just met a family today who went for PR and he had a job offer so it was fast tracked within 5 months.So like Gaynor said,theres no exact time scales,every case can be or is different.
My hubbie got a job offer and from that to the LMO arriving only took 2-3 months.
It all depends on how permenant you want the move to be etc,have a good look through the forum for a lot of your questions and get yourself a good immigration company

Lots of luck
Old May 12th 2007, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Thanks for all the replies.

Should I use an immigration company to help with the LMO/WP process, or leave this to my potential employer in Canada to do it correctly?
Old May 13th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

hiya

definitely need to be more realistic on timelines. LMO for Alberta currently taking around 16+ weeks and work permits from London around the same I think.

On the positive side I believe it is now possible for the employer to apply for the LMO and the employee to apply for the work permit concurrently.

And it is also possible (though not recommended by all) to get your work permit at the POE when you arrive - saving time.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kaz x

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
28 days for work permit after 10 days -3 weeks for the LMO. If you go for this route you can also then apply for residency if you like it.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

Should I use an immigration company to help with the LMO/WP process, or leave this to my potential employer in Canada to do it correctly?
Hi Slyder

The application for the LMO has to be done by your new employer - they may if they wish recruit an immigration lawyer to assist them in their application.

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
hiya
On the positive side I believe it is now possible for the employer to apply for the LMO and the employee to apply for the work permit concurrently.

And it is also possible (though not recommended by all) to get your work permit at the POE when you arrive - saving time.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kaz x
Alberta has now introduced a system whereby your new employer can apply on line for the LMO and they have introduced this system whereby by the LMO and WP can be processed concurrently - think that there are only a couple of BE members actually doing this at the moment as this new system only came in last month.

As Kaz says it is possible to collect a WP at the POE - we were recommended to do this by our lawyer to cut down the wait. We had a full introduction letter from our lawyer to present to the Immigration officer when we went to apply for the WP.

I do agree that this is a risky way to get a WP as the IM at CBSA could refuse it but during the last 15 months I have visited this site I cannot rememer anyone being refused at the POE on this site.

WP at London are taking so long now I would say if you dont apply concurrently then get the lmo sorted and apply for WP at POE

Gaynorx
Old May 13th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

the big burp is on a distinguished road

check out the Alberta's pnp which was just signed a few days ago: http://www.alberta-canada.com/pnp/
Old May 13th 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by the big burp
check out the Alberta's pnp which was just signed a few days ago: http://www.alberta-canada.com/pnp/
AB PNP is not new, to be exact it was implemented in 2002, what they signed a few days ago is about the improvement on AB PNP, read this http://cic.gc.ca/english/press/07/2007-05-11.html and http://cic.gc.ca/english/press/backg...007-05-11.html

Erick
Old May 13th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Slyder

The application for the LMO has to be done by your new employer - they may if they wish recruit an immigration lawyer to assist them in their application.

Alberta has now introduced a system whereby your new employer can apply on line for the LMO and they have introduced this system whereby by the LMO and WP can be processed concurrently - think that there are only a couple of BE members actually doing this at the moment as this new system only came in last month.

As Kaz says it is possible to collect a WP at the POE - we were recommended to do this by our lawyer to cut down the wait. We had a full introduction letter from our lawyer to present to the Immigration officer when we went to apply for the WP.

I do agree that this is a risky way to get a WP as the IM at CBSA could refuse it but during the last 15 months I have visited this site I cannot rememer anyone being refused at the POE on this site.

WP at London are taking so long now I would say if you dont apply concurrently then get the lmo sorted and apply for WP at POE

Gaynorx
Interestingly, there is a reputable immigration lawyer (who shall remain anonymous at this moment in time) who claims that a job offer is not always necessary for PNP. I have never heard of anything like this - is he full of the proverbial or is there something to it?
Old May 13th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tableland
Interestingly, there is a reputable immigration lawyer (who shall remain anonymous at this moment in time) who claims that a job offer is not always necessary for PNP. I have never heard of anything like this - is he full of the proverbial or is there something to it?
Have no idea whether you actually need a job for PNP as we have gone straight WP route.

And I really do hope that you are not referring the immigration consultant who gives advice to peeps on here as i find your comments rather disrespectful to the time he spends giving people advice for free.

G
x
Old May 13th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Have no idea whether you actually need a job for PNP as we have gone straight WP route.

And I really do hope that you are not referring the immigration consultant who gives advice to peeps on here as i find your comments rather disrespectful to the time he spends giving people advice for free.

G
x
That's just dandy then because I ain't.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, does the chance of getting the LMO depend on how well the employer has advertised the job, as well as how well I fit the description of it?

In which case, would it be worth getting the employer to take advice from an immigration consultant to correctly fill in the application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.