Have I made a terrible mistake?

Old Jun 5th 2016, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

stupid_old_fart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have I made a terrible mistake?

Hello,

I am newly married to a Canadian Citizen and we put our application together for my PR and we applied inland as I live in Canada with her. Having found this forum and seeing that some applications for full PR are being turned around in as little as 3 months if done through the UK compared to the 27 months quoted inland, it appears that I have made a terrible decision! We couldn't handle months/years apart waiting for a decision, hence inland, after seeing how long the UK office was taking to process applications at that time based on the published times, based on that there was only 1 month of difference between the 2 methods it seemed.

Stupid Question: Can I wait until i have the spouse open work permit (i applied at the same time) in a few months, then cancel my application and re-apply as outland and if I did that would the work permit be null and void, or can i use it, work, and still get the faster turnaround for outland by re-applying?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I made a terrible mistake?

Originally Posted by stupid_old_fart
Hello,

I am newly married to a Canadian Citizen and we put our application together for my PR and we applied inland as I live in Canada with her. Having found this forum and seeing that some applications for full PR are being turned around in as little as 3 months if done through the UK compared to the 27 months quoted inland, it appears that I have made a terrible decision! We couldn't handle months/years apart waiting for a decision, hence inland, after seeing how long the UK office was taking to process applications at that time based on the published times, based on that there was only 1 month of difference between the 2 methods it seemed.

Stupid Question: Can I wait until i have the spouse open work permit (i applied at the same time) in a few months, then cancel my application and re-apply as outland and if I did that would the work permit be null and void, or can i use it, work, and still get the faster turnaround for outland by re-applying?
The work permit issued to you is based on you having submitted an INLAND application. Cancelling the INLAND application and submitting an OUTLAND application and continuing to work could be construed as misrepresentation as knowing what you are doing is withholding information from CIC.
Your choice in the end.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should stay with what you've already submitted and see if you settle down about having made the decision to file inland. See how you feel in a few months.

S
Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE - glad you found us!

I have to agree with the above advice - but just for reference, you could still have applied "outland" while living in Canada, there was no need to be apart although you would not have been able to work. If you did decide to withdraw the application and apply 'outland' there are no guarantees that you would be one of the lucky few that get processing in under 4 months; you could wait a year!

Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Excellent username BTW. I'm glad there are two of us now.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, kind of guessed that is the case, but had to check,oh well, although reading on other sites forums, with persons having gone through this route recently it appears the Canadian Immigration are now giving 2 year open work permits to spouses rather than the 1 year as long as validity of passport etc.

I agree with all posters, as long as I'm together with my wife, working, have Health cover, and have a drivers license, who cares about the PR side of things?

Novo, hello from one old fart to another.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:50 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

You usually get a work permit within 4 months of applying inland. That enables you to live together in Canada and for you to work. If you've already filed and that 4 months is coming up soon, it might be better to just leave it.

However, if you aren't planning on moving to Canada for another year or so, then doing outland might not be a bad idea as it just gets PR out of the way quicker.

Honestly, since you've already filed inland, it might be worth it to just wait it out. Unless you are in a particular rush to get PR in hand, you might as well just wait the bit longer for your work permit and then just get on with things.

As FL said, though, if you withdraw your inland application, your work permit will be cancelled as it's tied directly to your inland application.

(FWIW, quoted processing time online for London is down to I think 17 months, no longer 28, hasn't been for awhile.)
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Hello,

I am newly married to a Canadian Citizen and we put our application together for my PR and we applied inland as I live in Canada with her.
I don't know what you mean about waiting and then moving, sorry I thought it was clear I reside in Canada, and have done for the past few months.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:02 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sorry, I missed that. Yeah, since you're already in Canada then, just leave your inland application processing. There's not much point withdrawing and reapplying at this point. If you're already in Canada and want to be able to work ASAP then inland makes more sense - you can work sooner but PR takes longer overall. But if you're working it doesn't really matter.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
You usually get a work permit within 4 months of applying inland. That enables you to live together in Canada and for you to work. If you've already filed and that 4 months is coming up soon, it might be better to just leave it.

However, if you aren't planning on moving to Canada for another year or so, then doing outland might not be a bad idea as it just gets PR out of the way quicker.

Honestly, since you've already filed inland......
Your post was rather confusing, as the only way you can file inland is to physically be in the country, with a Canadian address, and a Canadian stamp of entry in the passport without the exit stamp. If I was still in the UK then the original question would never have been asked, as I would, of course have filed Outland as that is the only option available.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Your post was rather confusing, as the only way you can file inland is to physically be in the country, with a Canadian address, and a Canadian stamp of entry in the passport without the exit stamp. If I was still in the UK then the original question would never have been asked, as I would, of course have filed Outland as that is the only option available.
My, what a great way to say 'no worries, thanks for your response anyway'.

Stick around and you'll discover the Schnooks is our resident Spousal Sponsorship pro, and has helped a ridiculous amount of people out over the years (she's also the one that wrote our mind bogglingly good FAQ, which I'm sure you've referred to and which must have taken her hours). People do file inland when just visiting Canada, and vice versa, so she simply misread!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 8th 2016 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

no worries mod, thanks for the wrong info reply
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:58 pm
Concierge

I corrected myself in Post #9 as well, just brain-farted on applying inland = living in Canada. Of course you're already in Canada if you already applied. Just a simple error.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

That's all I was wondering about Schnooko, it was confusing me and as the expert I was asking you to clarify. Wasn't being judgemental or aggressive. Unlike some.

Thank you
Old Jun 9th 2016, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's all I was wondering about Schnooko, it was confusing me and as the expert I was asking you to clarify. Wasn't being judgemental or aggressive. Unlike some.

Thank you
Must be the usual thing of typed responses being hard to read then, as I read yours as belittling and judgemental (particularly as you felt the need to point it out twice without a word of thanks), so seems we've both taken things the wrong way.

Schnooks is a very valuable forum member, and I was simply defending her.