Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone got less than 67 points and still been accepted?

Has anyone got less than 67 points and still been accepted?

Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

loza789 is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone got less than 67 points and still been accepted?

Hello,

I've realised that we can not do a common law application as we've not been living together long enough. So I've been looking at doing my own and I only get 64 points. It does say that you can still proceed with an application as you may still be accepted.

Has this happended to anyone?

Thanks Loraine
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Has anyone got less than 67 points and still been accepted?

not for SW app. A friend got refused for 66 points, and there are a couple of threads running at the mo with people looking for ways of getting extra points. The usual answer is learn french and take the tests. If it is just a time thing for common law, then surely within a few months you would have the necessary proof anyway? Easier to wait it out I would think. (I'm assuming you are still living together rather than you being in the UK and your partner in Canada!)

Edited to add - oh, just seen your other thread and realised your partner is not Canadian, so not common-law/ spousal as I thought... Ignore me!

Last edited by debbiem; Jul 6th 2009 at 12:11 pm. Reason: misunderstanding
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You will only get accepted with less than 67 points in VERY exceptional circumstances.

I know it's been covered on here before by our experts, and seem to recall you have to prove hardship (i.e. you had to leave university just before otaining your degree because of a severe reason) and show why you should be given some discretionary points.

Are you on the list of 38 occupations in demand? If not then you'll need a job offer anyway to qualify as a Skilled Worker, so that will give you extra points and take you over 67.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you

I'm an accountant, but didn't finish school and did my diploma part time whilst working. I am on the 38 list but they are not listed on the online test. I think I need to do some more ground work. It's so confusing !!!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loza789
Thank you

I'm an accountant, but didn't finish school and did my diploma part time whilst working. I am on the 38 list but they are not listed on the online test. I think I need to do some more ground work. It's so confusing !!!
OK. I don't think you'd get accepted with less than 67 points then, unless you didn't finish school for a 'hardship' reason i.e. severe health problems.

Also, are you aware that without the relevant qualifications you couldn't work as an accountant in Canada?

Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks

Yes I know, I am doing my CIMA qualification which is recognised in Canada. Also, I intend to do the CGA qualification when I get there.

I think we might have to hang on for 6 months, then we would've lived together for 12 months and I'd be able to use his education to pump up my score.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I think we might have to hang on for 6 months, then we would've lived together for 12 months and I'd be able to use his education to pump up my score.
Sounds very sensible. Just make sure that in the meantime you gather lots of evidence of living together as husband and wife i.e. joint utility bills, rental agreement, wills, insurance, etc.

Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:11 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice
6 months isn't that long too wait- some of us waited years.

You may want to look at BUNAC aswell which would get you there for a year where you could then earn further points if you get a job in your field and apply from PR from within.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice
Are you sure you have calculated your points correctly? It maybe useful to post how you have arrived at that total, and if there are any grey areas someone could maybe suggest something...
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bodgerx,

I thought the wait time was over 2 years and I'v just found out it's much less, so we've decided to wait 6 months and do a common law application. That way we are both guaranteed more than 67 points and hopefully we will still bit in our two year target of getting over to Ontario.

Thanks for the advice, everyone is so helpful