Got it at last!!!

Old Jan 16th 2003, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

ajadudu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got it at last!!!

Hello eveyone,
We finally got our visas stamped January 2003. We attended the interview in LA last april. The visa expires in April 2003, which is so soon, I don't think we would have rounded up everything by then to move permanently, I am thinking of driving across do the immigration paper work and apply for PR card have it sent to a friends house and then go back to US and come back for GOOD August.

Is it ok to do this? Is it also ok to have my PR card mailed to me so I can use it to get into Canada finally in August? Is'nt the PR card supposed to be swiped (record you have left the country)at the boarder each time ure going across ?

Sorry for all the Questions, just dont wont to do anything wrong...
My time line....
Applied July 2001
Interview April 2002
PR Visa 2003
To everyone who helped with information THANKS!!!! This is a dream come true!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

ronik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got it at last!!!

Congrats Ajadudu!
If you dont mind me asking what is your home country?
I just want to get an idea about how long the background check takes for different regions of the world. My husband and I are from different republics of former USSR. We had an Interview at LA office in May 2002. Still waiting for our background checks results...
Good luck with your landing!

Originally posted by ajadudu
Hello eveyone,
We finally got our visas stamped January 2003. We attended the interview in LA last april. The visa expires in April 2003, which is so soon, I don't think we would have rounded up everything by then to move permanently, I am thinking of driving across do the immigration paper work and apply for PR card have it sent to a friends house and then go back to US and come back for GOOD August.

Is it ok to do this? Is it also ok to have my PR card mailed to me so I can use it to get into Canada finally in August? Is'nt the PR card supposed to be swiped (record you have left the country)at the boarder each time ure going across ?

Sorry for all the Questions, just dont wont to do anything wrong...
My time line....
Applied July 2001
Interview April 2002
PR Visa 2003
To everyone who helped with information THANKS!!!! This is a dream come true!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 10:18 pm
Pmm

Hi Ajadudu

"ajadudu" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello eveyone,
    > We finally got our visas stamped January 2003. We attended the interview
    > in LA last april. The visa expires in April 2003, which is so soon, I
    > don't think we would have rounded up everything by then to move
    > permanently, I am thinking of driving across do the immigration paper
    > work and apply for PR card have it sent to a friends house and then go
    > back to US and come back for GOOD August.
    > Is it ok to do this?

Yes
Is it also ok to have my PR card mailed to me so I
    > can use it to get into Canada finally in August?

Yes
Is'nt the PR card
    > supposed to be swiped (record you have left the country)at the boarder
    > each time ure going across ?

Not as yet, probably never.
    > Sorry for all the Questions, just dont wont to do anything wrong...
    > My time line....
    > Applied July 2001
    > Interview April 2002
    > PR Visa 2003
    > To everyone who helped with information THANKS!!!! This is a dream
    > come true!!!!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

PMM

Old Jan 16th 2003, 10:30 pm
Wiz

My understanding is that you have to go and collect the card in person from an immigration and citizenship office. How are you going to do that if you're not here?

Old Jan 17th 2003, 4:16 am
Pmm

Hi Wiz

"Wiz" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My understanding is that you have to go and collect the card in person
    > from an immigration and citizenship office. How are you going to do
    > that if you're not here?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Wrong understanding, only PRs who were "landed' prior t 28/06/02 have to
apply in Canada and pickup in Canada. Persons landed after 28/06/02 are
mailed the PR card when they have permanent address in Canada.

PMM

Old Jan 17th 2003, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by ronik
Congrats Ajadudu!
If you dont mind me asking what is your home country?
I just want to get an idea about how long the background check takes for different regions of the world. My husband and I are from different republics of former USSR. We had an Interview at LA office in May 2002. Still waiting for our background checks results...
Good luck with your landing!
Hi Ronik,
Have no fear, it took us 8 months before we heard anything from LA even though we were told we will hear from them in 3 months. My home country is Nigeria BTW.
Regards
Old Jan 20th 2003, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

canuckshark is an unknown quantity at this point

I landed on August 17, 2002, and my PR card was mailed to me on September 12 - around 4 weeks. I was going to travel before I got the card and called Immigration Canada and they said it was ok for me to leave without the card as long as my family mailed me the card to my traveling site for entry back into Canada. I have used the PR card a couple of times to travel and they never swiped on the way out of the country - I am assuming they will start to do that once all equipment/system is up and running - most of the immigration agents were surprised to see the card at all.
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

ronik is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a bunch Ajadudu! You info certainly helps!!!

I was further wondering if they asked you to renew your FBI certificates or/and medical exam. In my case FBI certificate passed its 15 month and medical exam will pass its 12 months in March this year. I'd really appreciate if you can share your experience with all of this!!!

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 22nd 2003, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by ronik
Thanks a bunch Ajadudu! You info certainly helps!!!

I was further wondering if they asked you to renew your FBI certificates or/and medical exam. In my case FBI certificate passed its 15 month and medical exam will pass its 12 months in March this year. I'd really appreciate if you can share your experience with all of this!!!

Thanks a lot!
Hi Ronik,
I gave them a new clearance in April 2002 when I had the interview in LA and they are not asking for another one now. As for the medicals provided you get your visa's before March you will not need to do them again. If you do get your visas before march be prepared to move ASAP since the visa will expire exactly one year after you did your medicals. If you dont get the visas b4 March then I guess you will have to do the medicals again.
Good luck!!!