Got it: Landing Question

Old Apr 10th 2001, 11:52 am
ASwarnakar

I just received my PR and plan to land either via Windsor or Sarnia. I have several
questions:

1. I plan to land, stay with a friend, find a job and house and then move my
belonging. Is this allowed or do I need to move everything? Will immigration
officers give me hard time for this? I do not understand how can I move all my
belongings before I get a suitable job + house which can take several months.

2. Since I am landing from USA, do I need to take a bank-draft for funds or can I
land and then transfer funds electronically. What do the landing officers want?

3. I currently am a PR of USA. I know that you cannot maintain two PR and I dont want
to. However till I get a job in Toronto area, I would plan to keep my current job
in Detroit and either work from home or commute from Windsor for the time being. I
need to pay my bills till I find a job. When I explain this to the landing
officers, will I face any problem?

4. Finally, what is a better place to land, windsor or sarnia?

Regards

Old Apr 10th 2001, 4:41 pm
Jingsong He

Hi, there Can you post your schedule? Especially how long does it take from medical
to landing paper? Thank you.

Old Apr 11th 2001, 3:02 am
D. Gian

ASwarnakar wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Dear Mr. Swarnakar: Most people don't have the luxury of landing from USA, so they
normally do migrate with their essential belongings.... look at the past 200 years
history of immigrants or the current facts of illegal immigrants...

You can tell the officer and fill out the forms indicating what items will be
"following", Don't forget to list your "silver spoon" .

>
    >
    >

No, you better land with the equivalent minimum of CAD$ 10,000 in a Cashier check,
the rest of the funds can be electronically transferred later ....

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You can maintain the two PRs until you fail to meet the residency requirements of 1
of them (which will be either 180 days of sleeping in the USA, or 183 days of
sleeping in Canada).

>
    >

Which ever is easier for you ...

>

>

Wishing you the best through these very difficult decisions, Very truly
yours, --Deepak
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need To Discuss your specific immigration issue(s) ? Please Contact Us via Phone For
Services on Your Specific Immigration Matters. Phone Consultation fee of US$ 50
(credited towards any immigration work done for you within 30 days of the phone
consultation) Immigration & Visas International
Team of Specialized Immigration Consultants & Lawyers Providing Immigration and Job
Searches in: USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND Also providing Notary Services for
the Sate of New Jersey, USA.
################################################## #########################
New Jersey, USA Office: Immigration and Visas Int'l 7 Village Road, Kendall Park, NJ
08824 Voice: (732) 821-6077 Fax: (732) 821-1615 Mailto:
[email protected]

(If Replying or Requesting your immigration assessment, Mailto:
[email protected] )

World Wide Web URL= http://www.immigrationandvisas.com
!!!!!!! DISCLAIMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCLAIMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: This email/correspondence is not intended to establish an attorney-client
relationship. All information contained in this email/correspondence is generalized.
Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. Contact our
Office(s) Via Phone to get Specific Information regarding Your Issue(s).

Old Apr 15th 2001, 5:47 am
ASwarnakar

Thanks for all the replies. Two more questions.

1) Can I land in a USA licensed car though I do not want to bring that car to Canada?
I am asking this because my current car is quite old and I am thinking of
disposing it off and buying a new one, when I get settled in Canada.

2) After I land, do I need to immdiately apply for the Ontario Health Card or I have
to apply after 3 months.

Old Apr 16th 2001, 8:29 pm
Kay Carbe

You will only be entitled to an OHIP card (Health) after you have been here 3 months
and have legal immigration papers. I came in on a Minister Permit and I had to wait
the 3 months. However, not all MP's are acceptable, luckily mine was. You will have
to purchase cover for the first 3 months........ but I was told that they would not
cover me unless I applied for health insurance within the first 10 days of landing!!
I held out until I got an OHIP card, but it worried me not having cover and
especially having 2 kids. OHIP does not cover dental and prescriptions, you have to
buy a policy for that or get a job that includes benefits. Hope this helps.

>
    >
    >
to
    >
thinking
    >
    >
    >
or I
    >

Old Apr 17th 2001, 2:26 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
here
    >

Yes, but you can and should apply as soon as you arrive. The three month waiting
period begins on the date that you established residence in Ontario. If you wait
three months before applying, the burden will be on you to prove that you established
residence three months ago.

Your card will be mailed to you as soon as the three month period is over.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Apr 17th 2001, 3:58 pm
Kay Carbe

I came in on a Ministers Permit and OHIP wouldn't entertain seeing me until I had
been here for 3 months........ but I suppose the date of the MP proved my date of
landing. They made me an appointment for just after the 3 month period and when I
went, although I had to wait for a fair while to have the photo taken, they issued me
with a letter of cover on the spot, and the card took 2 weeks in the post. Doesn't
harm to try to apply right away. Good luck.

>

[usenetquote2]> > You will only be entitled to an OHIP card (Health) after you have been[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 3 months and have legal immigration papers.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 18th 2001, 1:31 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
until
    >
proved
    >
    >
the
    >
card
    >

I applied the day after I arrived in Ontario. The Ministry of Health office had no
problems with this.

As to your comment that your Minister's Permit proved that you had been in Canada for
three months. That's true. But did it prove that you were a resident of Ontario for
three months? In what year did you register?

When you apply for OHIP you must show three separate documents: one to prove your
status in Canada, one to prove that you are who you say you are, and one to prove
that you live in Ontario. You would have had to show more than your Minister's Permit
to prove that you live in Ontario. What did you show?

If a person's proof of residence can't prove at least three months residence (like a
lease that started at least three months ago or an Ontario driver's license issued
at least three months ago) then they can make you wait until three months from
whatever date they can determine as when you arrived in Ontario to make it your
permanent home.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Apr 18th 2001, 2:51 am
Kay Carbe

Well I landed in April 2000....... I got married in July 2000, and moved from Aurora
to Newmarket in July 2000......... I showed my Ministers Permit as proof of entry to
Canada, I showed my passport to prove who I was and a Record of Marriage to prove my
change of name, and house purchase documents to prove I was a resident.............
but I didn't have to prove I hadn't been out of Ontario in the past 3 months, just
when I landed and that I was who I said I was and a resident. Guess they never had a
problem with that.

>

[usenetquote2]> > I came in on a Ministers Permit and OHIP wouldn't entertain seeing me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I had been here for 3 months........ but I suppose the date of the MP[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > my date of landing. They made me an appointment for just after the 3[/usenetquote2]
month
[usenetquote2]> > period and when I went, although I had to wait for a fair while to have[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > photo taken, they issued me with a letter of cover on the spot, and the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > took 2 weeks in the post. Doesn't harm to try to apply right away. Good luck.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >