Got Canadian PR decided not to go

Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Got Canadian PR decided not to go

Originally Posted by alton
Give the guy a break ! We are all doing this because we are looking for a better life. If the guy thinks that he/she can find it in the US then so be it. What about those who left Canada after staying there for sometime because they find that life there does not suit them? Should we castigate them as well?

nwebie,

As for the landing fee, I believe that as long as you don't land, you will not be charged. So, if you just let your visa expires, you could get a refund later.

But I am no expert.
Give the guy a break..? .....why did he apologise in the instance about posting what he has here....? obviously he knew it would upset some people....so...i think it is a case of give the people on here a break....emotions are strong..and yeah actualy i have thought about it today.....> i wonder how many other people tie up ths system etc....in such a way....i find it unbelievable that people would go to the extremes of immigration process and cost..to then turn it down whence approved...me thinks there is more to this..but then ..i don't realy care....i sit well within my integrity *S*
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

alton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Give the guy a break..? .....why did he apologise in the instance about posting what he has here....? obviously he knew it would upset some people....so...i think it is a case of give the people on here a break....emotions are strong..and yeah actualy i have thought about it today.....> i wonder how many other people tie up ths system etc....in such a way....i find it unbelievable that people would go to the extremes of immigration process and cost..to then turn it down whence approved...me thinks there is more to this..but then ..i don't realy care....i sit well within my integrity *S*

Why did he apologize? Because he did not know where to post his question.

"Hi .. Sorry to post this in this Forum.. didn't know where to get right answers"

He asked a legitimate question. It is neither insulting nor offending. It deserve a proper answer. I don't see why people got so upset of what he did. Didn't you have a Plan B?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:45 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Wow, this is a difficult thread to answer to, so many interesting statements to comment on let me start with the easy ones

MJ: glad you like my chair and cardigan, I was a bit reluctant to post my picture, less someone recognizes me on the street

MJ: Boooooo to you too, (wow I am a poet, no a wise poet ) I love your statement about ghosts, so true! Gotta remember that one, it will make me even wiser.

MJ: "We all try to get away with whatever we can get away with in life" Come on MJ give me a break you do not really believe that, there is more to life than bullying the system and you know it. I may be getting a bit philosophical and humanistic on us here, but I truely believe that mankind has a genuine desire to be good. You yourself have posted countless selfless posts just to help others and feel good about it. In fact that is what this forum is all about.

nwebie: yes we were kinda rough with you but I think we also explained why and I am proud to say people in this forum are very direct but respectful, no rude insults. I have looked at some other forums where that is not the case.

Maple Leaf: Do not worry I am not as desparate as I sound, things are going more or less according to plan and I am lucky to apply in Berlin (*pretending not to be a whiner like MJ *) where it only takes about a year. To answer your question: We lived near Toronto for 2 years and I wouldn't mind moving back there as we have lots of friends but I f a job comes around I would also go to Vancouver, Montreal or Halifax,.... perhaps not Moose Jaw/Sask.
(Oh and 16 to you! )
*Reality exceeds our imagination by far!*
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Why did he apologize? Because he did not know where to post his question.

"Hi .. Sorry to post this in this Forum.. didn't know where to get right answers"

He asked a legitimate question. It is neither insulting nor offending. It deserve a proper answer. I don't see why people got so upset of what he did. Didn't you have a Plan B?
I am talking about sensitivity of others......

He apologised cos he KNEW it would create a stir..otherwise..why apologise...???...LOL...this is what this forum is for..to seek and ask questions.

...and yes of course he was well within...whatever ...to post his question here...
i think there is some great posts being answered to him here....read them and understand what they are realy saying.

It is getting people to truly think about things deeper.This could go round and round..and on and on. No more will be said on the matter from me.

don't make mountains out of mole hills...

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Feb 1st 2005 at 9:03 am.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mhhp
Wow, this is a difficult thread to answer to, so many interesting statements to comment on let me start with the easy ones

MJ: glad you like my chair and cardigan, I was a bit reluctant to post my picture, less someone recognizes me on the street

MJ: Boooooo to you too, (wow I am a poet, no a wise poet ) I love your statement about ghosts, so true! Gotta remember that one, it will make me even wiser.

MJ: "We all try to get away with whatever we can get away with in life" Come on MJ give me a break you do not really believe that, there is more to life than bullying the system and you know it. I may be getting a bit philosophical and humanistic on us here, but I truely believe that mankind has a genuine desire to be good. You yourself have posted countless selfless posts just to help others and feel good about it. In fact that is what this forum is all about.

nwebie: yes we were kinda rough with you but I think we also explained why and I am proud to say people in this forum are very direct but respectful, no rude insults. I have looked at some other forums where that is not the case.

Maple Leaf: Do not worry I am not as desparate as I sound, things are going more or less according to plan and I am lucky to apply in Berlin (*pretending not to be a whiner like MJ *) where it only takes about a year. To answer your question: We lived near Toronto for 2 years and I wouldn't mind moving back there as we have lots of friends but I f a job comes around I would also go to Vancouver, Montreal or Halifax,.... perhaps not Moose Jaw/Sask.
(Oh and 16 to you! )
LOL..you do not sound desperate dear friend...and i will be onto you about taking your wife out for dinner......LOL

Hey if you and your family get to BC..we may be neighbours...COOL.. or should that be COLD....LOL...i have been trying to put a pic on my profile..but all the ones i like are too...BIG...hmmm..will keep searching..*Grin*
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:14 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

LOL..you do not sound desperate dear friend...and i will be onto you about taking your wife out for dinner......LOL

Hey if you and your family get to BC..we may be neighbours...COOL.. or should that be COLD....LOL...i have been trying to put a pic on my profile..but all the ones i like are too...BIG...hmmm..will keep searching..*Grin*
If you and your fiance have wollen cardigans we would love to have you join us on our porch, or on yours. BTW we will have a nice victorian front porch, my wife is an architect and restores old houses, so we have some good reason to come to BC as well.

If the pic. is too big, import it into the Windows Paint tool and use the Strech/Skew function in the Image pulldown menue until it is 65 pix longest dimension which you can verify with the Attributes function. Then save it as .gif Looking forward to your pic.

BTW when we do go out for dinner here in Switzerland we come out of the restaurant with an empty stomach and an empty wallet, so we tend to take some trips to Italy every once in a while.

Now there is the food capital of the world!!!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

alton is an unknown quantity at this point

I am talking about sensitivity of others......

...and yes of course he was well within...whatever ...to post his question here...
i think there is some great posts being answered to him here....read them and understand what they are realy saying.
don't make mountains out of mole hills...

Pardon me if I misunderstood. But what they seem to be saying is that nwebie needs are lesser, or his purpose is lower than the rest of us, therefore he has no right to apply.

We know very well that we are doing this for our own SELFISH reason.

The fact is CIC devised a system which they think is fair. nwebie has gone through it, I have gone through it, and you will go through it - fair and square! If you think that the queue is slow, don't blame the guy in front of you.

If you are successful, great. If not, then go to plan B. If you don't have a Plan B, make one right now.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Yes you can get your landing fees back because u have not used your visa. This is clearly mentioned on the site of cic under the section of fees.

Regards and luck for USA
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:29 am
keep checking....

Pardon me if I misunderstood. But what they seem to be saying is that nwebie needs are lesser, or his purpose is lower than the rest of us, therefore he has no right to apply.

We know very well that we are doing this for our own SELFISH reason.

The fact is CIC devised a system which they think is fair. nwebie has gone through it, I have gone through it, and you will go through it - fair and square! If you think that the queue is slow, don't blame the guy in front of you.

If you are successful, great. If not, then go to plan B. If you don't have a Plan B, make one right now.
There is great logic in what alton is saying and my mind tends to agree,.........

yet........

something does not feel right and in my heart I know that this is not what immigration should be about.

Call me ignorant or call me naive, say I am an Idealist or a dreamer but....

there has to be more to this than Plan A and Plan B. And if that is not reflected in the system it may be a flaw to the system itself.

thanks nwebie for initiating this discussion, the fact that we can have it is great in itself, and that I guess is something that the US and Canada may have in common. (at least at the moment, let us see what Bush does next )

P.S. and I do believe bhaleao is right and the ROLF is refundable.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:11 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Hey nwebie, if you don't want your PR, Can I have it?
I'll start the bidding at £400
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:50 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Canada is a country that is made up of immigrants.

I would have thought only native indians ( aboriginies) can claim to be true " canadians" read about Canadian history and you will find that the Vikings were the first to "find the country" having been blown off course whilst sailing from Iceland to Greenland.
The it was an Italian who ventured to the eastern shores of Canada from England. Both Spanish and Portuguese explorers began to explore. It was then the French that came giving France too some claim to the continent by right of discovery. Why are there so many french speaking??

The chinese built most of the railways risking their lives in the process It was the beginning of a difficult history for Chinese immigrants to Canada. They struggled through but the Chinese in Canada persevered. And today, Chinese-Canadians are an integral part of Canada's multicultural society, forging their own cultural identities. Once barred from the professions, Chinese-Canadians are now becoming doctors, lawyers and politicians.

The number one country that immigrants come from is India, followed by most of the Asian countries. The UK is 10th in the list.

So as far as "discrimination to foreigners" is concerned. It is rubbish to assume this. Maybe attitude is the problem. Or you are one of these people that blames, your social or ethnic background for all that life throws at you.

Yes they may well want Canadian work experience, but so do people in whatever country you live in.

I run a business, that deals with a UK tax system , english currency, english law, and only english speaking.
If I was to employ someone from eastern europe, where english was not their first langage, it would take them quite some time, to get used to the currency, and reading writing fast and accurately, let alone a whole host of other things that may spring to mind. So you could say I may discriminate, not because I had anything against the person. I would just need someone that could do the job the fastest and most efficient.

Originally Posted by Boston
Congratulations on getting the Green Card! You made the right decision, and I fully support it. If you have a job and are settled in the US, there is no reason to drop everything and move to Canada. I moved here myself from the US 6 months ago, and let me tell you, it's not easy starting from zero again. Job situation sucks, employers look for "Canadian" experience, and overall I sense a lot of discrimination against foreigners here. And we thought that the US was bad! If anyone disagrees with me, tell me please how many foreign-born Canadians do you see in the upper management of your companies???
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Boston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MJ23
Hey Boston, I don't know what is your ethnic background, but I guarantee you if you carry this same attitude in life you will get no where in Canada or anywhere else. I have a few friends who have the same attitude. They are making excuses for their shortcomings. Yes there is racism in the world, but you have to give the people the benefit of the doubt. Remeber, gosts only appear to people who are afraid of them
Why are you even bringing the issue of the ethnic background? By asking your question regarding the ethnic background, you are implying that peope of different races may be treated differently.

I am not making excuses for my shortcomings. Actually, I am doing pretty good compared to others. But I've met a lot of real people who have come to Canada in search for a better life, and their expectations were not met. Some of them went back to their countries.

Read this:

http://www.metronews.ca/news_detail.asp?id=6016

By the way, I am white.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:49 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mhhp

(Oh and 16 to you! )

mhhp,

I never talked about bullying! What is wrong with giving yourself and your family the best chance while working within the rules? In fact, I suggested that they should change the rules!

Last edited by MJ23; Feb 1st 2005 at 3:54 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

thanchaur is on a distinguished road

nwebie,

I am also attempting here to pollute your mind as everybody is doing:

1. It is you to decide what is right for you not anybody. So, do what you think is right for you.
2. Canada offered you the PR not because Canada loved you but because Canada thought it could use you. So, you are free to use Canada as an insurance. Nothing wrong in that.
3. A factor that sounds very relevant to an individual may be irrelevant to you. Nothing wrong to ignore Canada and to find US better for you.
4. So far as you made others wait, you paid the fee for that (the application fee). Canada was hired to process. You paid. You just offered paid job to Canadian immigration. Nothing wrong in that.
5. If these people who complain of waiting in line, they should complain the CIC not you. CIC could hire more people or become more efficient and process it faster. Nothing wrong on your part.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on him for using the system to his advantage in order to get what he wants in life. Everybody has the right to apply for immigration to Canada and nobody has the right to say that he doesn't. His application has nothing to do with yours. If he decides not to take it then that's his choice. What if his application for Canada had been rejected. For a skilled worker application, that might be 3 years wasted and to then go through the US immigration process might be another 3 year wait. If I was in his shoes (and had the money and patience for 2 applications and had even the slightest interest in moving to the USA) then I would have done exactly the same thing. If one application is rejected, then take the other, if both are accepted, then you have the luxury of picking and choosing between where you want to go. I would not stop myself from putting 2 applications in just because someone else who I've never met might have to wait a little longer for his decision because CIC can't handle the number of applications, screw them all and give me what I want...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.