Got It!

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Geet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Got It!

Thanks Inspace, and one again congrats and have fun.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:20 pm
Finally it happened

pattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura about

Hi Inspace (aka GregP?):

What a news Man !!! Enjoy your time.

But still could not understand, being a US citizen why are you so excited in getting Canadian immigration ?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

guest210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pattu, yes it is GregP, lol! I hope your number comes up soon you really deserve it the most, your wait has been excruciating.

Well, when I moved to Canada as a student 7 years ago, I thought that I would go back to California after a couple of years. But it didn't take long before I realized that *life is much better in Canada* than the USA. I mean, I could have never afforded a PhD in the states, with the crazy tuition, the price of medical insurance, and no tax breaks! Here in BC they even offer the same health care that Canadians get to students! It's so much more relaxed and secure here. I developed a sense of gratitude for my "host" country for helping me to do what I could not have afforded to do at home. I know that salaries are a little less in some sectors--but who cares! I would trade in a higher salary for a place I am proud to live in any day. Although I do confess I miss northern California where I am more-or-less from.

Also, within a couple of years my entire "life" moved here, and this is where I am established. So, once the reality of all this dawned on me, I thought, "better apply for PR before my degree ends" because I didn't want to have to leave the place I have called home for so many years.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:47 pm
Finally it happened

pattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Greg for sharing your thoughts. I am also a PhD student in Canada and have similar opinion about this country. In my case, tuition fee here is a lot more compared to my home country. However, there are so many other factors to be taken into account.

I guess you are in UBC. When are you graduating ?

Best wishes.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Hi Pattu,

I am at UBC. Right again you are. My committee wants a completed draft by
Old Mar 24th 2005, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Hi Pattu,

I am at UBC. Right again you are. My committee wants a completed draft by September so I can defend in December. So, I am going to try my best to make it. I really want to start teaching somewhere in the Fall, even if as a sessional.

It's true that a Canadian education is expensive compared to much of the world, but compared to the USA, its free. My European acquaintances constantly remind me that in Germany, its free, and you get a stipend from the government until you graduate. But, University of California in-state tuition, for example, is more expensive than foreign student tuition at UBC. In addition, UBC offers an across-the-board scholarship to all international students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, so it comes out to about $3600 a year (Cdn)--barely a semester at most state universities in the USA. University of California is currently at $2800 USD per trimester for California residents. Imagine if you are from out-of-state!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:57 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Enjoy your freedom
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Thanks MHHP, I am just curious--where will your porch and rocking chair be? Have you chosen a place and Canada to live yet? Are you German/Swiss by nationality? I have spent a lot of time in Germany and many Germans have told me that they dream about living in Canada. They usually pick BC or AB as they like the Wild West (vielleicht die haben zu viel Karl May gelesen?!) Can't blame them though the West is beautiful.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:21 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Inspace
Thanks MHHP, I am just curious--where will your porch and rocking chair be? Have you chosen a place and Canada to live yet? Are you German/Swiss by nationality? I have spent a lot of time in Germany and many Germans have told me that they dream about living in Canada. They usually pick BC or AB as they like the Wild West (vielleicht die haben zu viel Karl May gelesen?!) Can't blame them though the West is beautiful.
I am German by birth, however have lived in many countries, including Canada (Toronto actually). We will move anywhere, where there is a good job opportunity. But I f it was our choice It would be Toronto *because of all the friends we have there* or Vancouver area, because of the scenery.

We will see...............
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cryout is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mhhp
I am German by birth, however have lived in many countries, including Canada (Toronto actually). We will move anywhere, where there is a good job opportunity. But I f it was our choice It would be Toronto *because of all the friends we have there* or Vancouver area, because of the scenery.

We will see...............

that's good Abraham Simpson...maybe it will be my pleasure to buy you a pitcher of Moosehead at a Toronto bar when all this nightmare will be over... :scared:
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:51 am
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Got It!

Hey Inspace:
You forget to mention Wreck Beach to the audience
Congratulation on your PR status.

Hi Pattu,
I am at UBC. Right again you are. My committee wants a completed draft by September so I can defend in December. So, I am going to try my best to make it. I really want to start teaching somewhere in the Fall, even if as a sessional.
It's true that a Canadian education is expensive compared to much of the world, but compared to the USA, its free. My European acquaintances constantly remind me that in Germany, its free, and you get a stipend from the government until you graduate. But, University of California in-state tuition, for example, is more expensive than foreign student tuition at UBC. In addition, UBC offers an across-the-board scholarship to all international students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, so it comes out to about $3600 a year (Cdn)--barely a semester at most state universities in the USA. University of California is currently at $2800 USD per trimester for California residents. Imagine if you are from out-of-state!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

The beach is certainly beautiful, but as it is on the UBC campus, it is still technically work/school, therefore I stay clear of the place. On my time off (wait, do doctoral students have time off), I keep at least one solid kilometer between myself and that campus!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Jill-D is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea how long it will take for Buffalo to return passports? My passport was received on March 22, 2005.

Gosh, I have been waiting to say that for ages. Received passport request today, one day after e-client change! My details are in my signature. After 7 years of being a virtual prisoner to a student visa and the whims of my department, I am free!

Thanks to everyone who has put up with my neurotic postings over the ages, both the Experts and everyone else. As communication with Buffalo is almost impossible, the experts and people here have really been the only source of information and support I have gotten.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

It seems to be rather inconsistent. On these forums I have read that sometimes they are on their way back after only 5 business days of receipt. Then I have heard of people waiting an entire month.

Let's hope for the former.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 5:49 pm
keep checking....

Originally Posted by cryout
that's good Abraham Simpson...maybe it will be my pleasure to buy you a pitcher of Moosehead at a Toronto bar when all this nightmare will be over...
Hey dont blurt out my real name, I am trying to stay anonymous on this forum.

And yes we will have a huge party when all this is over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.