Going to Canada Befor PR Accepted

Old May 16th 2005, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Snape is on a distinguished road
Default Going to Canada Befor PR Accepted

I have applied for PR to Canada under the Common law category. I recieved my letter from Missasuaga saying that they have sent my application to be processed in London.

My girlfriend is returning to Canada in August to start schooling and i would like to go aswell when she does, but if my visa is accepted while im in Canada i could send my passport to my folks in England and have them forward to London to finish processing then get them to send it to Canada to me.

Is this possible has anyone done this, how do you go about landing if you do this ????

Thanks
Ian
Old May 16th 2005, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

cryout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Going to Canada Befor PR Accepted

guess you can do that, buddy!

I heard some people leaving for Canada after medicals as tourists and waiting pr status from Maple country...

Just one thing, you have to convince the Immigration Officer at the border that you have enough funds, and that you are not going to work illegally before visa issuance!

I understand 100% your desire to join your patner, but it sounds innatural to me leaving before visa issuance...I don't know why...I would like to do that but it's kind of dangerous...
Old May 16th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snape
I have applied for PR to Canada under the Common law category. I recieved my letter from Missasuaga saying that they have sent my application to be processed in London.

My girlfriend is returning to Canada in August to start schooling and i would like to go aswell when she does, but if my visa is accepted while im in Canada i could send my passport to my folks in England and have them forward to London to finish processing then get them to send it to Canada to me.

Is this possible has anyone done this, how do you go about landing if you do this ????

Thanks
Ian
Hi Snape,

I am in exactly the same position as you, Canadian girlfriend starts college in Ottawa in September. My application has been processing in Mississsuaga since May 2nd. I am planning to go as a visitor in October no matter what. There are lots of old posts on this forum regarding this and it seems to be ok as long as you are from a Visa waiver country (i.e UK) and can show you have enough funds and will return to home country if application is rejected (by having a return ticket). Its all ok as far as I know. Not sure if the experts can confirm though???? Andrew? Jim?
Old May 17th 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

blairwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just done that exact thing, I came to Canada to be with my husband before my PR has been accepted, and am waiting it out over here. My parents address at home is where all my mail is being delivered to, so my mum will be calling me as soon as she hears anything and handling things from that end. The only major risk that I can think off is that family class do not get interview waivers, so if I get called for the dreaded interview I am going to have to fly home to Australia.
I had no problems getting through immigration, infact I was only asked two questions, and my PP was stamped for 6 months.
I am from a visa waiver country, but as I said in my original post, all cases are different, and I really think that a lot of my luck had to do with being as upfront with the officier when I came in as I was, and also that he must of definitely gotten out of bed on the right side that morning! A great game of chance, but definitely worth it to me!
Old May 17th 2005, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Snape is on a distinguished road

Yeah that is my only worry that i have to return for an interview or something, how do you suppose to land if you are already in the country is it still possible or do you have to leave and then come back into the country this was the only thing i was unsure of at this moment in time.

Cheers
Ian
Old May 17th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snape
Yeah that is my only worry that i have to return for an interview or something, how do you suppose to land if you are already in the country is it still possible or do you have to leave and then come back into the country this was the only thing i was unsure of at this moment in time.

Cheers
Ian
You just drive over the border to the states, and drive back i again

Jameso