Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

global data sharing re: my "criminal" record

global data sharing re: my "criminal" record

Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

travellerschecks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default global data sharing re: my "criminal" record

Hi all,
I recently got my acpo certificate through in the post for the purposes of emmigrating to Canada. There's a caution on there for drugs possession that doesn't belong to me, it's definitly some clerical error. Fortunately I'm not due to move to Canada for another 5-months, hopefully plently of time to sort the mistake out! If not I'm suing!
However, I planned to visit Canada in the next few weeks as a tourist, to check out my new home etc. Does anyone know if the fact that I have applied for a police certificate, and that it has come back with a trace, is known to Canadian immigration officials? My passport number is on the certificate and I know these databases are becoming ever more powerful and ever more revealing. I haven't yet submitted my actual work permit application, if that makes a difference. I'm just asking in case I must prepare myself for a difficult time at the immigration desk.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: global data sharing re: my "criminal" record

Originally Posted by travellerschecks
Hi all,
I recently got my acpo certificate through in the post for the purposes of emmigrating to Canada. There's a caution on there for drugs possession that doesn't belong to me, it's definitly some clerical error. Fortunately I'm not due to move to Canada for another 5-months, hopefully plently of time to sort the mistake out! If not I'm suing!
However, I planned to visit Canada in the next few weeks as a tourist, to check out my new home etc. Does anyone know if the fact that I have applied for a police certificate, and that it has come back with a trace, is known to Canadian immigration officials? My passport number is on the certificate and I know these databases are becoming ever more powerful and ever more revealing. I haven't yet submitted my actual work permit application, if that makes a difference. I'm just asking in case I must prepare myself for a difficult time at the immigration desk.

Thanks in advance!!
Assume that they know, particularly in this computerised age. And drugs possession will be particularly frowned upon.

Any chance that you can get it sorted before you go? I wouldn't risk it, if they refuse you entry as a visitor then it could impact on your TWP application in the future. So I'd try and get it cleared up and hopefully then you won't have anything to worry about.

Good luck, let us know how you get on as I'm intrigued now, have never heard of a police cert being wrong before!!

Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I'll let you know. I doubt it'll be sorted before I go. I've looked around the internet for people in similar situations and it seems there are a few of us. Mostly it seems like two people can erroneously share a PNC entry, so a person with a speeding ticket can share an entry with a violent criminal and get tarred with their brush. Though granted, I'm sure it's very rare. The charge is for possession of Heroin (for which i apparently recieved a caution)- which I have never in my life gone anywhere near, so I definitly haven't just forgotten about a past run-in with the police.
As an aside, if they are informed about applications for police certificates, this level of data sharing is surely over stepping our right to privacy!?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

when was the offense dated...you may be deemed rehabilitated (even tho the offense doesn't belong to you)
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi, it's from 2007 so deemed rehabilitation is not posible. I'm pretty sure I will have no problem at immigration, so long as I've not been red flagged for applying for a certificate in the first place, and it coming up "unclean". Does anyone know if this is a possibility??

Cheers!!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:58 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

If it's clerical error you need to phone ACPO up to have it resolved otherwise it could affect your application.

ACRO on 0845 60 13 999
(+44 1962 871111 non UK)

As for you travelling in the meantime you'll be fine. Be truthful on the forms and you're good to go.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Great, thanks for that, that's what I wanted to hear! ACPO seem to be being quite helpful so I'm sure that will be ok in time for my application. Out of interest, how do you know there will be no red flag for my visit? ACPO aren't subject to the freedom of info act, therefore I couldn't find anything relating to thier procedures in these matters.

Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:38 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how do you know there will be no red flag for my visit? ACPO aren't subject to the freedom of info act, therefore I couldn't find anything relating to thier procedures in these matters.

Two things come to mind.

1, I've read few threads on here where people are travelling to Canada and haven't put actual criminal convictions on their landing cards and have had no issue. Not that i'm saying this is ok, nor that people don't get caught out.

2, You're being honest in your answers on the landing card and you have not committed a crime nor have a criminal conviction. The error is clerical on the certification end so i very much doubt this will flag itself on the details the Canadian passport control officer will have on you.

I'd not worry about the visit to Canada and mainly focus on righting the clerical error on your certificate as soon as possible as to meet your 5 month deadline.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Cheers!

I entered Canada about 2 months ago (before I applied the my certificate btw), and don't remember the landing card asking about past convictions. Has this changed?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:36 pm
Beep

Cheers!

I entered Canada about 2 months ago (before I applied the my certificate btw), and don't remember the landing card asking about past convictions. Has this changed?
To be honest, i'm not sure as i've never paid attention to it due to not having convictions so it's not really in my mind.

So if you popped in 2 months ago without issue then it will be the same again even after receiving the incorrect certificate.

Relax, sit back, and enjoy the ride.................after you get a corrected certificate of course