Getting Work Permit

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:55 am
YPS
Just Joined

YPS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Work Permit

Can some one tell me how to obtain a work permit.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ignition is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting Work Permit

Originally Posted by YPS
There is a rather useful website, the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada which has this and other information on Canadian immigration:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html

Is the section dealing specifically with going to work in Canada.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YPS
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but am pretty sure you have to secure a job first what I mean is that you dont just apply for the work permit.

What happened to us is that my hubby was offered a job and had a letter confirming this from the new employer. The new employer then had to HRDSC for a Labour Market Opinion - proving that they could not find a suitable Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident to take the position.

Only when you get a positive LMO from HRDSC in your hand can you apply for a Work Permit. The Work Permit can be got at a port of entry - or CHC.

Tried to make it as simple as possible for you but the CHC website is a great place to start
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:55 am
YPS
Just Joined

YPS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:05 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You can also get a work permit by running your own business. My wife and I purchased land and presented a 5yr business plan which enabled us to get 3yr work permits - we were in BC as 'tourists' for 3mths, setting up the logistics of the business (without earning a living) before submitting the plans and having an interview with a border official at the Sumas border crossing near Vancouver.

The most important part of the process was proving that we were going to be providing 'substantial benefit' to the local community. There's no definitive definition of what this means, it's open to interpretation, so the business plan and business concept needs to be well established and presented.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Getting Work Permit

Or if you are a British passport holder and aged 18 - 35 you could apply for a one year open work authorisation (working holiday visa) through BUNAC:

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/workcanada/