Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting a Temporary Work Permit at Point of Entry

Getting a Temporary Work Permit at Point of Entry

Old Dec 26th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ributnaga is on a distinguished road
Default Getting a Temporary Work Permit at Point of Entry

There was a similar thread on this matter but my question is more general.

Has anyone ever tried getting their temporary work permit when they arrived at the airport? Assuming that you have had a positive LMO and did not require a medical and additional visitors visa.

I am tempted to try this route as my employer wants me to start asap, but I have a concern on of whether is this the norm? Will it be safer to just get it done at my local embasy (I am in the UK)?

What was the process like in the airport? How long did it take before you were let through and what would most likely happen if you got rejected? I have doubts about applying at the airport because it just simply sounds too good to be true to be able to cut down a 2-3 month processing time down to merely hours instead.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Temporary Work Permit at Point of Entry

Yes it is that simple.
You arrive at the POE with valid travel document (passport) and valid LMO.
As long as you are exempt from requiring a TRV then you can apply at the POE. As long as you are not inadmissible under sections 34-42 of IRPA then there should be no problem. You pay the $150 Cad fee for the WP and thats it.
Dependent on the POE you arrive at it can take as little as 10 minutes to 4 hours.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes it is that simple.
You arrive at the POE with valid travel document (passport) and valid LMO.
As long as you are exempt from requiring a TRV then you can apply at the POE. As long as you are not inadmissible under sections 34-42 of IRPA then there should be no problem. You pay the $150 Cad fee for the WP and thats it.
Dependent on the POE you arrive at it can take as little as 10 minutes to 4 hours.
Thanks for the reply. I think I may give it a go then and see what my chances are.

In terms of LMO, I assume I must have the actual physical document or can I have the LMO ref # alone? I am not sure what should I expect once a positive LMO is actualy given in terms of what I actually get.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ributnaga
Thanks for the reply. I think I may give it a go then and see what my chances are.

In terms of LMO, I assume I must have the actual physical document or can I have the LMO ref # alone? I am not sure what should I expect once a positive LMO is actualy given in terms of what I actually get.
The LMO is normally a 3 page document with all the relevant details on it.
A BSO can get access to these details just with the LMO ref # but it is
better to physically bring the hard copy LMO with you. Computers have been known to fail.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ributnaga

they just need the lmo number
Old Dec 26th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly you will need an offer of employment/contract to show the guys at customs alongside the LMO.
Getting the TWP at POE was simplicity itself. Took us about 30 minutes last August.
Good luck
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GC44
If I remember correctly you will need an offer of employment/contract to show the guys at customs alongside the LMO.
Getting the TWP at POE was simplicity itself. Took us about 30 minutes last August.
Good luck
We also have girls who work for us
The hard copy LMO has the job details etc etc on it.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 2:09 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Dh waited half an hour for his twp, I waited 4 minutes for my sowp, two weeks later with a copy of his twp. I had a folder with birth certs, marriage cert, bank statements, police certs gtf/ga list and she didnt want any of it, just "so this is your husbands?" to the copy twp, and "wait over there" and 4 mins later "ok here you go!" took over half an hour to get it paid for! But they were really lovely. The poor lass next to me was getting a real grilling "why Canada? What made you want to come here!" felt for her but there was a problem with her paperwork I think!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. It has increased my confidence of simply getting my TWP done at the airport!

This will at least make my new employer happy, instead of waiting the avg 4 months (with LMO processing), I can now at least start going to Canada right after the LMO is received.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:27 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Get it at POE.
My OH had a printout of his LMO (it comes to your employer, so just get them to e-mail you a scanned copy) and it took about 15 minutes at Calgary Airport.
No problem

No idea why anyone gets their from London (unless they need a medical, of course).
Good luck.