getting spouse into canada

Old Sep 13th 2002, 5:23 am
Bob

Default getting spouse into canada

I married an american lady last year who has a criminal record.I have been told to
apply for a temporary resident permit to bring her to canada.I have been given
different stories with each immigration staff member that I have talked to over the
past year.Vancouver BC immigration tells me that I can not apply for the sponsoring
of a spouse of a canadian citizen,seattle consulate tells me that I need to be
applying for the sponsorship and apply for the temporary resident permit at the
buffalo n.y. office.my wife is presently living in bellingham wa. what is the proper
way to apply to get my wife to canada on a permanent basis.please send reply. bob.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 2:11 pm
Jim Humphries

Default Re: getting spouse into canada

You should begin by submitting a sponsorship application to the CPC in
Mississauga (forms can be obtained from the CIC website). Since she ahs a
criminal record the processing can be lengthy depending on the details. You
might consider using the services of a consultant or lawyer for best results. Jim
Humphries, former visa officer

bob wrote:
    > I married an american lady last year who has a criminal record.I have been told to
    > apply for a temporary resident permit to bring her to canada.I have been given
    > different stories with each immigration staff member that I have talked to over the
    > past year.Vancouver BC immigration tells me that I can not apply for the sponsoring
    > of a spouse of a canadian citizen,seattle consulate tells me that I need to be
    > applying for the sponsorship and apply for the temporary resident permit at the
    > buffalo n.y. office.my wife is presently living in bellingham wa. what is the
    > proper way to apply to get my wife to canada on a permanent basis.please send
    > reply. bob.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 6:24 pm
pkjmet

[email protected] (bob) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I married an american lady last year who has a criminal record.I have been told to
    > apply for a temporary resident permit to bring her to canada.I have been given
    > different stories with each immigration staff member that I have talked to over the
    > past year.Vancouver BC immigration tells me that I can not apply for the sponsoring
    > of a spouse of a canadian citizen,seattle consulate tells me that I need to be
    > applying for the sponsorship and apply for the temporary resident permit at the
    > buffalo n.y. office.my wife is presently living in bellingham wa. what is the
    > proper way to apply to get my wife to canada on a permanent basis.please send
    > reply. bob.

Before you start down the raod of an application you should let us know what the
problem is . What was she convicted of and when. Crimes and offences are treated
according to their seriousness. minor offences like shop lifting or possession of a
controlled subtance etc are trated differently than say assault causing bodily harm.
Time is also a consideration. If it was over ten years old or over fiev makes a big
differnce.

Jim Metcalfe , Consultant and former visa officer

Old Sep 13th 2002, 9:55 pm
Bob

Jim Humphries <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
    > You should begin by submitting a sponsorship application to the CPC in
    > Mississauga (forms can be obtained from the CIC website). Since she ahs a
    > criminal record the processing can be lengthy depending on the details. You
    > might consider using the services of a consultant or lawyer for best results. Jim
    > Humphries, former visa officer
    > bob wrote:
    > >
    > > I married an american lady last year who has a criminal record.I have been told
    > > to apply for a temporary resident permit to bring her to canada.I have been given
    > > different stories with each immigration staff member that I have talked to over
    > > the past year.Vancouver BC immigration tells me that I can not apply for the
    > > sponsoring of a spouse of a canadian citizen,seattle consulate tells me that I
    > > need to be applying for the sponsorship and apply for the temporary resident
    > > permit at the buffalo n.y. office.my wife is presently living in bellingham wa.
    > > what is the proper way to apply to get my wife to canada on a permanent
    > > basis.please send reply. bob.

Thanks jim for your reply,is it necessary to apply to buffalo n.y. for a temporary
resident permit for my wife to come to canada before I apply for the sponsoring for
her? bob.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 10:22 pm
Bob

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > [email protected] (bob) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > I married an american lady last year who has a criminal record.I have been told
    > > to apply for a temporary resident permit to bring her to canada.I have been given
    > > different stories with each immigration staff member that I have talked to over
    > > the past year.Vancouver BC immigration tells me that I can not apply for the
    > > sponsoring of a spouse of a canadian citizen,seattle consulate tells me that I
    > > need to be applying for the sponsorship and apply for the temporary resident
    > > permit at the buffalo n.y. office.my wife is presently living in bellingham wa.
    > > what is the proper way to apply to get my wife to canada on a permanent
    > > basis.please send reply. bob.
    > Before you start down the raod of an application you should let us know what the
    > problem is . What was she convicted of and when. Crimes and offences are treated
    > according to their seriousness. minor offences like shop lifting or possession of a
    > controlled subtance etc are trated differently than say assault causing bodily
    > harm. Time is also a consideration. If it was over ten years old or over fiev makes
    > a big differnce.
    > Jim Metcalfe , Consultant and former visa officer

jim,how can I let you know what the problem was without posting it here,may I email
you directly and talk it over with you, thanks. bob.

Old Sep 14th 2002, 4:36 am
Just Joined

S Muhammad Ali is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: getting spouse into canada

Originally posted by Bob:
I married an american lady last year who has a criminal record.I have been told to
apply for a temporary resident permit to bring her to canada.I have been given
different stories with each immigration staff member that I have talked to over the
past year.Vancouver BC immigration tells me that I can not apply for the sponsoring
of a spouse of a canadian citizen,seattle consulate tells me that I need to be
applying for the sponsorship and apply for the temporary resident permit at the
buffalo n.y. office.my wife is presently living in bellingham wa. what is the proper
way to apply to get my wife to canada on a permanent basis.please send reply. bob.
ali
Old Sep 15th 2002, 12:40 am
Aftonokla

If she has a criminal record she will have to be deemed "rehabilitated" which
means lots of time will need to have passed. Otherwise she will be inadmissible
to Canada. Same with the USA.