Getting engaged to Canadian GF

Old Nov 20th 2019, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

webtap89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting engaged to Canadian GF

Hi all,

My girlfriend of six years has recently moved back to Canada to complete her university studies, unfortunately I could not go back with her at the time as I am in a new job which has a two year probationary period that I must complete before I can apply for a transfer (I have around 16 months left of this probation now). I am going to visit her in January and I am planning on proposing. My question is regarding how it then works in relation to me applying for PR in Canada - do we have to wait until we are married to begin the process or can we get the ball rolling and use the time that I have to remain in the UK anyway? Will 12 months be sufficient time to get PR so that I can move over as soon as my probation ends?

Many thanks!

Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:15 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting engaged to Canadian GF

Hi

Originally Posted by webtap89
Hi all,

My girlfriend of six years has recently moved back to Canada to complete her university studies, unfortunately I could not go back with her at the time as I am in a new job which has a two year probationary period that I must complete before I can apply for a transfer (I have around 16 months left of this probation now). I am going to visit her in January and I am planning on proposing. My question is regarding how it then works in relation to me applying for PR in Canada - do we have to wait until we are married to begin the process or can we get the ball rolling and use the time that I have to remain in the UK anyway? Will 12 months be sufficient time to get PR so that I can move over as soon as my probation ends?

Many thanks!
1. You have to wait until your married.
2. See: http://tinyurl.com/yc8dxsgq

Old Nov 21st 2019, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks!
in your case you will need to be married as you do not qualify as common law.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

do we have to wait until we are married to begin the process or can we get the ball rolling and use the time that I have to remain in the UK anyway?
You cannot apply until you are married and have all of the necessary certificates to prove that.

Will 12 months be sufficient time to get PR so that I can move over as soon as my probation ends?
12 months from the date your paperwork is received in CPC Sydney is the normal processing time for spousal sponsorship.

Old Nov 21st 2019, 6:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks!
Hello and welcome to BE!

Once you have 1st stage approval (where the sponsor has been approved to sponsor you) you could move over under dual intent if your application hasn't finalised by the time you are ready.

Exciting times ahead it seems!

Do start to collect documentary evidence of your relationship - the genuineness of it.. have a look at our fabulous wiki for spousal applications.. it will help you immensely!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...hip-Canada/FAQ
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms