Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Getting Arranged Employment - Not all that hard.

Getting Arranged Employment - Not all that hard.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 9:05 pm
Dennis Cade

I find several people on this board nervous about whether they will in fact succeed
in getting those crucial 10 points (Arranged Employment). For those people, I say :
DO NOT despair.

Arranged employment IS HARD to find if your intended occupation is Dish-washing or
Security-guard. However, remember that Canada has always had an acute and chronic
shortage of skilled workers. Even in this period of an economic slowdown, Canada
experiences a MASSIVE shortage of skilled professionals. It is estimated that around
400,000 jobs are unfilled (in IT alone!) because employers simply can't find people
to do the jobs. This is not merely speculative statistical evidence. At the IT
company where I work (in Markham), there are LITERALLY empty cubicles because my
employer is simply unable to find skilled people to do the jobs.

My partner who joined me last Fall managed to secure arranged employment (Something
that's seen as an impossibility in this newsgroup) in just under 4 months (Chemical
Engineer). And yes, her employer was willing to wait 4 months simply because he
COULDN'T FIND anyone else to do the job.

I would recommend that would-be-newcomers "carpet-bomb" their resumes to all the
usual sites : monster.ca, workapolis.com, etc. (That's all what my partner did to
secure her current position).

I still can't believe the foolishness of this new government law (which I hope will
be repealed soon) that's attempting to "raise the standards" for immigration. If
anything, Canada needs MANY MORE immigrants to balance its low birth-rate.

Currently Canada receives around 10 immigrants per 1000 people/year. This is MAD
FOLLY! The rate should be AT LEAST 40-50 immigrants per 1000 per year to replace the
fast-disappearing work-force. If Canada is to succeed in a global economy, this is
absolutely imperative. Anything less and we're going to have labour-shortages
indefinitely.

Good luck to all of you and welcome to Canada!

D.C.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 10:19 pm
Andrew Miller

Dennis,

getting job offer or arranged employment seems to be impossible task only for those
in this group who didn't even try to obtain one, but are complaining about new rules
rewarding those who got such offers. There was over 80,000 Employment Authorizations
issued in 2000 - that clearly proves the fact that those 80,000+ people didn't wait
for Canadian government to give them anything, they simply took the task on
themselves, looked for the job and succeeded. And this is the kind of skilled people
Canada wants - those who have the skills, ability and willingness to take care of
themselves and can clearly demonstrate
it.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 11:56 pm
Luterin

>
    >
    >
    >
... is your employer looking for a unix+Oracle expert?

-Lute, (Markham, ON)

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:20 am
Henrik

[email protected] (Dennis Cade)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I used to work in Markham, which company do yo work for? How can you work at Markham
when you are not even living in Canada right now???