GCSE / WES / High School Diploma

Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Spring100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GCSE / WES / High School Diploma

Hi,

For the occupations in demand stream (Nova Scotia) we have to get the equivalent of a High School Certificate.

Has anyone had GCSEs assessed and do they come out as equivalent?

3 GCSEs grades C,E,G.

It’s all riding on this!

thanks

Old Aug 7th 2021, 3:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSE / WES / High School Diploma

Originally Posted by Spring100
Hi,

For the occupations in demand stream (Nova Scotia) we have to get the equivalent of a High School Certificate.

Has anyone had GCSEs assessed and do they come out as equivalent?

3 GCSEs grades C,E,G.

It’s all riding on this!

thanks
Hi and welcome to BE

Unfortunately a high school diploma is the equivalent of A or AS levels. You won't get any points for GCSE's. What is it you do for a living? There may be other options for immigration
Old Aug 7th 2021, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hi and welcome to BE

Unfortunately a high school diploma is the equivalent of A or AS levels. You won't get any points for GCSE's. What is it you do for a living? There may be other options for immigration

I live in Canada, boyfriend lives in England - he is trying to come across. He’s a truck driver. I have heard that others have had GCSEs assessed as equivalent - if we can’t do this stream he may be able to just get a foreign workers permit for a few years and at least get him here. I will still submit the GCSEs to WES but I was hoping someone else here had done it.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Canada, boyfriend lives in England - he is trying to come across. He’s a truck driver. I have heard that others have had GCSEs assessed as equivalent - if we can’t do this stream he may be able to just get a foreign workers permit for a few years and at least get him here. I will still submit the GCSEs to WES but I was hoping someone else here had done it.
GCSE's aren't normally accepted as the equivalent of a Canadian High School Diploma, unfortunately. See these threads on BE for more info (google specific search for you)

Has he got a job offer? He would need one for the 'In demand' stream for NS; if not he could try and find a company willing to obtain an LMIA so he can obtain a work permit - from that you could either live together as if married for a minimum of 12 months (or get married) and sponsor him for family / spousal sponsorship. Alternatively, once he has worked for a year he could apply for Canadian Experience Class. Worth also noting that he may need to convert his Drivers license to be able to drive trucks here.. https://www.drivingtest.ca/how-to-ge...n-nova-scotia/

Another alternative - if he is under 31, he could apply to the pool for the International Experience Canada 2 year working holiday work permit (IEC).. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

You may want to also look at our trucking sub forum https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 7th 2021 at 9:30 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

We got my husbands CSE and GCE evaluated by WES it was a last ditch attempt to get some extra points and surprisingly they where accepted as equivalent to a High School Diploma. We just took the leap and for $300ish not much to loose if it was declined in the long run.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 1:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
We got my husbands CSE and GCE evaluated by WES it was a last ditch attempt to get some extra points and surprisingly they where accepted as equivalent to a High School Diploma. We just took the leap and for $300ish not much to loose if it was declined in the long run.

Thanks for the info - that's good for the OP to hear - and a big surprise to me (they don't normally equate GCSE's with a Canada high school diplome) - hopefully the OP's b/f will be able to get the same result

Perhaps it's a case of proving you completed UK secondary school rather than Canada?
Old Aug 8th 2021, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Thanks for the info - that's good for the OP to hear - and a big surprise to me (they don't normally equate GCSE's with a Canada high school diplome) - hopefully the OP's b/f will be able to get the same result

Perhaps it's a case of proving you completed UK secondary school rather than Canada?

We where shocked to be honest and your right good to know for others who are struggling for points in the end we figured $300 is a small amount to pay in the whole scheme of things.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! Great to hear
we just talked about the possibility of him doing an NVQ level (?) if it doesn’t work and seeing if that has an equivalent too

I’ll let everyone know
Old Aug 8th 2021, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Spring100;13038456]Thank you! Great to hear
we just talked about the possibility of him doing an NVQ level (?) if it doesn’t work and seeing if that has an equivalent too

I’ll let everyone know [/QUOTE

NVQ aren’t recognised as far as I’m aware as they are Vocational qualifications I don’t know of anyone who has successfully had these recognised. Hopefully someone will be able to clarify.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Dan921 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! Great to hear

I’ll let everyone know
I got a BTEC National Certificate in IT from 2010 evaluated as one year post secondary, I think those are supposed to be vocational. With WES I think it's all down to the credits though i'm not sure how that works with NVQs.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 4:36 pm
Banned

Thank you! Great to hear

I’ll let everyone know
Has he got a job offer? He would need one for the 'In demand' stream for NS; if not he could try and find a company willing to obtain an LMIA so he can obtain a work permit - from that you could either live together as if married for a minimum of 12 months (or get married) and sponsor him for family / spousal sponsorship. Alternatively, once he has worked for a year he could apply for Canadian Experience Class. Worth also noting that he may need to convert his Drivers license to be able to drive trucks here.. https://www.drivingtest.ca/how-to-ge...n-nova-scotia/

Another alternative - if he is under 31, he could apply to the pool for the International Experience Canada 2 year working holiday work permit (IEC).. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

You may want to also look at our trucking sub forum https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/
Old Aug 13th 2021, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan921
I got a BTEC National Certificate in IT from 2010 evaluated as one year post secondary, I think those are supposed to be vocational. With WES I think it's all down to the credits though i'm not sure how that works with NVQs.
Exactly the same, my BTEC national cert was evaluated as 1 year post secondary.

[QUOTE=Lichisadave;13038466]
Thank you! Great to hear

I’ll let everyone know [/QUOTE

NVQ aren’t recognised as far as I’m aware as they are Vocational qualifications I don’t know of anyone who has successfully had these recognised. Hopefully someone will be able to clarify.
Exactly the same for me, I got nothing for my NVQ,some folk have some luck using people other than WES I believe(someone who sat my course got higher points than me using elsewhere - although they used a consultant so had no real idea, they just submitted a load of documents, signed a load of things and paid a load of cash).
Old Aug 13th 2021, 2:33 pm
Banned

There are a few threads on BE that reference getting NVQ's assessed (or the difficulties doing so) that may be of use to the OP.. here is a google search for them

On this thread someone mentioned they managed to get 3 GCSE's evaluated as 'completing high school' (not a high school diploma) - so that might be sufficient for the OP's application... Another "Moving to Canada to drive trucks" thread....

Old Aug 15th 2021, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it have to be WES? I used ICAS and my GCSE's came back as 'secondary school graduation,' my A Levels were 'University preparation courses.' My wife's BTEC came back 'college certificate.'