Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Gaining PR - On Bunac - Need Advice

Gaining PR - On Bunac - Need Advice

Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

garyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gaining PR - On Bunac - Need Advice

Hi there,

I'm going to Toronto on 18th March on a working holiday visa (BUNAC) for 1 year.
I am an Electrician by trade and would be hoping to work in that area when I get there.
However I am hoping apply for PR when I arrive. What is the best way to do this? As I would like it to be within the 12months so I don't need to go home! lol
I heard that because an Electrician is on the list of 38 jobs I can have my PR application processed within 6-12months with no job offer, is this true?
If not, what route should i take? Find a job and get a twp then apply for pr? Or fnid a job and go for pnp?

I'm confused as to the state of the industry at the moment it may be hard to get an LMO?

Also is it worth seeking a lawyer and getting things done that way?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Gary.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Gaining PR - On Bunac - Need Advice

anyone?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Alrighty.
Yes - you're on the list of 38:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list
This is as long as you can show that you fit in the NOC code for either of these two:
7241: Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System)
7242: Industrial Electricians

That's good news.

The second piece of good news is that the Ontario PNP scheme has now opened up the list of occupations. However, your employer needs to have had the position pre-screened. (Details: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/English/PNPworkers.asp).

So, to go the PNP route looks like a fair bit of work for employers in ON. You will have to make a judgement as to whether you will be worth it to them to do this. This will be a function of the job market and I have no idea what it might be like for electricians in Toronto.

The main advantage of PNP is that processing is generally measured in a few months and then you can get a normal TWP while you wait for the PR app to process.

However, going the normal federal skilled worker route but just work out for you. You may get unlucky on the timing at near the end of your current TWP but with a little luck you might be able to get a new TWP while your PR is being processed. It'll depend on the labour market.

You're already committed to coming here so you may as well test the market yourself and find out what employers are willing to do for you.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

So you think I should see how it goes for a few weeks before I submit the PR application and if I find it difficuilty to get an employer to go down the PNP route with me then I should apply for PR and hopefully it will complete in time and if not, try and get a new twp before my 1 year is up?

Thanks for your help. This is too confusing for me lol.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyg13
So you think I should see how it goes for a few weeks before I submit the PR application and if I find it difficuilty to get an employer to go down the PNP route with me then I should apply for PR and hopefully it will complete in time and if not, try and get a new twp before my 1 year is up?

Thanks for your help. This is too confusing for me lol.
If you qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, then I wouldn't even both with PNP. You can apply for PR via the SW route now (no need to wait until you get to Canada), assuming you meet the other criteria as well as being on 'the list' (i.e. having at least 67 points, no criminal record, minimum funds, pass the medical, etc).

It takes 6-12 months so if you apply soon then you should have your PR through in plenty of time before your BUNAC runs out.

Good luck.