Funds and applying for jobs?

Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Jibbalob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Funds and applying for jobs?

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
You would need to state what ever is stated on your ECA. Looking through your list of qualifications your highest academic one is your HNC in mechanical engineering which think would likely be assessed as a one year program at a university, collage etc. From what I understand 1 years is HNC, 2 years is HND and 3 years is bachelors.

If you are doing the red seal would you not be looking at federal trades rather than federal skilled worker path.

Also as you are both under 30 have you considered the IEC route? This would get you their quicker without the PR fund requirements. Once there and working in a skilled job you would earn more points for Canadian experience and after a year of working as such you would qualify for CEC which has the huge advantage of not requiring the settlement funds.
Thank you for the response. The HNC is a two year course. And sorry, I'm getting myself into a bit of a tangle, I assumed obtaining the red seal would help with getting more CRS points under the certificate of qualification category?

Going for the IEC route would require me to obtain an employer specific work permit under the young professionals category if I understand correctly. But to qualify for this, I must have a job offer, so would it be a more reasonable solution to simply apply for jobs and hope to get sponsored? Or am I missing the mark completely?

Apologies for any misunderstanding I may be perpetuating, it all seems very complex.

Thanks again Snowy560 and Engineer_abroad.

Edit: Upon looking further into this, only the 'Working Holiday' IEC option is available to me from the UK. This means an open work permit, but would this still enable me to work permanently in one location for the two years up until we could sort out PR? Is it not the case that major employers would not consider employing somebody in an engineering role on just a two year permit, or is it common practice for this to happen?

Last edited by Jibbalob; Apr 19th 2017 at 4:02 am.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jibbalob
Thank you for the response. The HNC is a two year course. And sorry, I'm getting myself into a bit of a tangle, I assumed obtaining the red seal would help with getting more CRS points under the certificate of qualification category?
Provincial certification would, yes (it's often referred to as Red Seal). You'd get another 50 points iirc, but the main thing is you'd actually be eligible to apply, whereas you wouldn't without it.

Going for the IEC route would require me to obtain an employer specific work permit under the young professionals category if I understand correctly. But to qualify for this, I must have a job offer, so would it be a more reasonable solution to simply apply for jobs and hope to get sponsored? Or am I missing the mark completely?
You've misunderstood - an IEC is a 2 year *open* work permit, no job offer required for it at all.

HTH.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Edit: Upon looking further into this, only the 'Working Holiday' IEC option is available to me from the UK. This means an open work permit, but would this still enable me to work permanently in one location, pending getting PR of course.
Just spotted your edit, yes it would. You can do any job on it (except for those requiring citizenship i.e. government jobs), for the 2 years, and then apply for PR once there. This year's program probably isn't an option (visas had pretty much all gone last time I checked), but you could apply in 2018 when it reopens for applications.

HTH.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Provincial certification would, yes (it's often referred to as Red Seal). You'd get another 50 points iirc, but the main thing is you'd actually be eligible to apply, whereas you wouldn't without it.
OK, thank you so much for your help. That was my understanding from what I have read. I guess that's what I shall be looking into then. Once my qualifications have been accredited, I will look into doing the Red Seal applicable to me. It's an excuse to go back out to Canada too
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the response. The HNC is a two year course.
Yes but the question is how much is considered post graduate by Canadian education standards. Canadians stay at high school till 18 not 16, so only education after 18 would generally count. I was basing my determination off the fact that the first 2 years of a bachelors degree at a UK university is considered the same as a HND, so guessed a HNC would be equivalent to the first year.

Upon looking further into this, only the 'Working Holiday' IEC option is available to me from the UK. This means an open work permit, but would this still enable me to work permanently in one location for the two years up until we could sort out PR?
Yes

Is it not the case that major employers would not consider employing somebody in an engineering role on just a two year permit, or is it common practice for this to happen?
I work for an engineering consultancy here in Canada and we often hire people on IEC visas. In fact, it is the preferred way of getting anyone under 30 over to work here due to the simplicity and cost effective nature of the program.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

And just to be clear: the Young Professionals (= tied WP) option isn't part of the IEC Canada/UK agreement. Only Working Holiday (= Open WP) is. If you're Irish, Young Profs is an option.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Yes but the question is how much is considered post graduate by Canadian education standards. Canadians stay at high school till 18 not 16, so only education after 18 would generally count. I was basing my determination off the fact that the first 2 years of a bachelors degree at a UK university is considered the same as a HND, so guessed a HNC would be equivalent to the first year.

I work for an engineering consultancy here in Canada and we often hire people on IEC visas. In fact, it is the preferred way of getting anyone under 30 over to work here due to the simplicity and cost effective nature of the program.
Ok yes, I see what you are saying regarding the HNC, it's the equivalent of one year of a degree.

Also, that's good to hear regarding the employment of IEC visas. Should I decide to take this route, at least I know there's still going to be opportunities for me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me, I appreciate it.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
And just to be clear: the Young Professionals (= tied WP) option isn't part of the IEC Canada/UK agreement. Only Working Holiday (= Open WP) is. If you're Irish, Young Profs is an option.
Yes I did see this, the description of 'working holiday' just didn't sound right to me. Upon reading further and finding out about the open work permit, I see that it is now an option.

Thank you