British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   FSW List Announced Today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/fsw-list-announced-today-794432/)

Former Lancastrian Apr 20th 2013 12:28 pm

Re: FSW List Announced Today

Something to consider 4 May is a Saturday so office will be closed and it will also be closed on Monday 6 May as it is a bank holiday and Im guessing there will be nobody there to sign for courier packages. There might be a mail drop off box.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...g=eng#holidays

BenB2 Apr 20th 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10668576)
Interesting post. And some interesting statistical points.

I feel your frustration but I'm not going to take this personally and I'm not giving up. Why do I want to go to Canada? Because it makes the most sense for me on a personal and professional level. And I'm not prepared to give up the chance to emigrate to somewhere where I do, rightly, or wrongly, see the grass as being greener because of one setback.

The process, and the people in charge of the process, does not make the nation of Canada some sort of scum-bag who wants to limit your chances of having a better life. Everything that appealed to you about Canada before the announcement is still true. It's just the ease of attainment has changed.

Explore other opportunities. I know I will. But don't lose sight of why you wanted to go in the first place. That hasn't changed just because a process was unfavourable on this occasion.

Hey,

My main frustration is with their management and timing of customer (us) information, release, transparancy and expectation management. I think this is something we can all relate to when CIC themselves repeatedly tell us not to trust the information in the online tools. Their MIS systems need serious work. Secondly the minister seems oblivious of the planning, cost and time that has to go into preparing for an application such as IELTS for one - and that these things have to be organized well in advance. He may argue that with holding information helps us but it doesn't when it is drip fed to us as we can not effectively plan or schedule what we want to do.

I have two NOCs in IT that I could apply under on the new list... but what is the point when there is only a total quota of 600 IT engineers / programmers that will be able to make it through the gate before they start returning applications again.

It is not worth my time to prepare a lottery ticket that has to rely on making it through the few minutes in which the quota is filled on day 1 when all the immigration consultants and private citizens deliver prepared applications.

Also, I choose not to pay Campbell Cohen a non returnable advance payment to prepare my application because I discovered the ministers new comments about sneaking a new list in something that previously was not covered. That is a calculated risk that I choose to take and if the minister had release this information at the beginning of April - or six months ago!!! then those of us that were on the list could have chosen to prepare applications - saving everyone else a lot of effort, money and false hope (and wasted fees on lawyers)....

Now what makes my blood boil is that this is the first press release that I have seen the sets any expectation about the existence or level of any quota cap let alone cap in the individual NOCs of 300.

It is this cap of 300 that simply makes it not worth applying - it will be gone in minutes on day 1 as applications are received from the built up head of applications - they will also be completely incapable of coordinating the number of applications that they move to "in process" between visa offices and those that are "approved" resulting in them having to subsequently withdraw a lot of "in process" applications as the left and right hand didn't know what they were doing and the quota got filled up. More problems with expectation management and communication with the applicant!!!

And while we are on the subject of efficiency. Why am I still waiting for them to return my processing fees as they promised over 12 months ago!!!! wtf!

In summary I could apply, I am not going to, simply because the minister has yet again just demonstrated total disregard for the applicants and an understanding of the system that he is administering.

If temp work permit and LMO wasn't such a mess - a lot of us would go down that route. But that system is broken. Can it be fixed - yes very easily - a few changes would greatly improve the attractiveness and responsiveness of the scheme to Canadas labor market needs and their employers needs. But Canada also seems hell bent on maintaining a starting point with TWP that T is most definetly Temporary and we will be kicking you out possibly in a year and definetly three years matey boy - if they want to use TWP as the feeder stock for PNP and CEC as well as providing the majority of the dynamic labour needs then they need to sort the system out and understand that maybe the focus and mindset of TWP needs to move towards the concept of "Transitional" WP. The applicant are not Canada's enemy and are invariably highly skilled and creative individuals that passionately want to help Canada succeed and grow - it is frustrating when the minister seems to treat us with less regard than pieces of paper he shuffles on his desk while dreaming up policy. Communicate, well in advance, transparency, manage expectations - fix TWP - that would cure +90% of peoples recurrent frustrations with CIC.

My two cents anyway

Ben

BenB2 Apr 20th 2013 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by BenB2 (Post 10669568)
Hey,

My main frustration is with their management and timing of customer (us) information, release, transparancy and expectation management. I think this is something we can all relate to when CIC themselves repeatedly tell us not to trust the information in the online tools. Their MIS systems need serious work. Secondly the minister seems oblivious of the planning, cost and time that has to go into preparing for an application such as IELTS for one - and that these things have to be organized well in advance. He may argue that with holding information helps us but it doesn't when it is drip fed to us as we can not effectively plan or schedule what we want to do.

I have two NOCs in IT that I could apply under on the new list... but what is the point when there is only a total quota of 600 IT engineers / programmers that will be able to make it through the gate before they start returning applications again.

It is not worth my time to prepare a lottery ticket that has to rely on making it through the few minutes in which the quota is filled on day 1 when all the immigration consultants and private citizens deliver prepared applications.

Also, I choose not to pay Campbell Cohen a non returnable advance payment to prepare my application because I discovered the ministers new comments about sneaking a new list in something that previously was not covered. That is a calculated risk that I choose to take and if the minister had release this information at the beginning of April - or six months ago!!! then those of us that were on the list could have chosen to prepare applications - saving everyone else a lot of effort, money and false hope (and wasted fees on lawyers)....

Now what makes my blood boil is that this is the first press release that I have seen the sets any expectation about the existence or level of any quota cap let alone cap in the individual NOCs of 300.

It is this cap of 300 that simply makes it not worth applying - it will be gone in minutes on day 1 as applications are received from the built up head of applications - they will also be completely incapable of coordinating the number of applications that they move to "in process" between visa offices and those that are "approved" resulting in them having to subsequently withdraw a lot of "in process" applications as the left and right hand didn't know what they were doing and the quota got filled up. More problems with expectation management and communication with the applicant!!!

And while we are on the subject of efficiency. Why am I still waiting for them to return my processing fees as they promised over 12 months ago!!!! wtf!

In summary I could apply, I am not going to, simply because the minister has yet again just demonstrated total disregard for the applicants and an understanding of the system that he is administering.

If temp work permit and LMO wasn't such a mess - a lot of us would go down that route. But that system is broken. Can it be fixed - yes very easily - a few changes would greatly improve the attractiveness and responsiveness of the scheme to Canadas labor market needs and their employers needs. But Canada also seems hell bent on maintaining a starting point with TWP that T is most definetly Temporary and we will be kicking you out possibly in a year and definetly three years matey boy - if they want to use TWP as the feeder stock for PNP and CEC as well as providing the majority of the dynamic labour needs then they need to sort the system out and understand that maybe the focus and mindset of TWP needs to move towards the concept of "Transitional" WP. The applicant are not Canada's enemy and are invariably highly skilled and creative individuals that passionately want to help Canada succeed and grow - it is frustrating when the minister seems to treat us with less regard than pieces of paper he shuffles on his desk while dreaming up policy. Communicate, well in advance, transparency, manage expectations - fix TWP - that would cure +90% of peoples recurrent frustrations with CIC.

My two cents anyway

Ben

Hi,

Looks like they are possibly planning on releasing new set of application forms - that will screw up everyone who has preprepared an application and also cause further delay in anyone else's ability to start preparing forms post press release of list of 24. This is exactly the sort of nonsense I was complaining about with communication and understanding the system and the effect that it has on applicants that I was complaining about in my other post.

Just spotted on here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2013-04-18.asp

"IMPORTANT NOTE: CIC will update application kits and web materials before the new FSWP is launched on May 4, 2013. Prospective applicants who wish to get a head start on their application can proceed with the steps and information outlined above but should check the CIC website for new FSWP application forms."

BenB2 Apr 20th 2013 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BenB2 (Post 10669619)
Hi,

Looks like they are possibly planning on releasing new set of application forms - that will screw up everyone who has preprepared an application and also cause further delay in anyone else's ability to start preparing forms post press release of list of 24. This is exactly the sort of nonsense I was complaining about with communication and understanding the system and the effect that it has on applicants that I was complaining about in my other post.

Just spotted on here:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: CIC will update application kits and web materials before the new FSWP is launched on May 4, 2013. Prospective applicants who wish to get a head start on their application can proceed with the steps and information outlined above but should check the CIC website for new FSWP application forms."

lol - it does feel somewhat like....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...poster.box.jpg

Mikeypm Apr 20th 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BenB2 (Post 10669635)
lol - it does feel somewhat like....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...poster.box.jpg

Ben I think you need a couple of drinks :beer::beer::beer:

You have vented and I know It is frustrating, but take it easy over the weekend, take stock and review your options. No point bursting a blood vessel about politicians and burecats, they are the same the world over.

BenB2 Apr 20th 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 10669637)
Ben I think you need a couple of drinks :beer::beer::beer:

You have vented and I know It is frustrating, but take it easy over the weekend, take stock and review your options. No point bursting a blood vessel about politicians and burecats, they are the same the world over.

lol -would be more interesting than this Prince2 E learning course I am currently sitting through.

Airborne_Dan Apr 20th 2013 6:15 pm

There's always Australia:thumbup:

gb_griffiths Apr 20th 2013 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan (Post 10669714)
There's always Australia:thumbup:

That's true but Australia stinks of <snip > and its got not mates.

AmyDavid Apr 21st 2013 12:35 am

Hey,

My two cents anyway

Ben

They won't be filled on day one - not by a long shot. The educational assessment requirement makes sure of that. If you can apply then you should apply and not be defeatist! Think positive thoughts!

orly Apr 21st 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10670081)
The educational assessment requirement makes sure of that.

From what I've been hearing they can take months to complete.

BabyG Apr 21st 2013 10:56 am

#gutted

But to be honest I already knew that my profession wouldn't be on the list.
Looks like plan B (find a job) and plan C (marry a Canadian) for me! :p

Good luck to all who will be applying.
:fingerscrossed:

maximpouska Apr 21st 2013 5:56 pm

hello

sorry for you

satire - it's easier to get the PR, if you are a kitchen helper. which is also a cheaper way.

Howefamily Apr 21st 2013 6:18 pm

thanks for your thanks too, sorry just saw this... Yes keep going, theres more than one way to get here

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10666648)
< snip >! Great big pile of < sniping > < snip >!

< snip >!
< snip >!
< snip >!
< snip >!
< snip >!
< snip >!
< snip >!

Back to the drawing board.

Circa £1,000 down and thoroughly < sniped > off. At least I got out of that lawyer situation before they bled me dryer than Pharaoh 's flip-flop.

Edit: Thank you to everyone on here who has taken the time to help me and answer my questions. If I can work out an alternative way in I'll probably be back to pester you all again at a later date.

Special mentions:
Christmasoompa (despite heavily editing my industrial English)
AmyDavid
graham1710
Howefamily
siouxie

januarymix Apr 22nd 2013 7:50 am

Hey,

I know how you feel, but Governments can get away with this for some reason, especially when we are at the receiving end.

As to the minister being oblivious, I was told on this forum (above) that it is not to CIC's advantage to release the info earlier. I do not know why, but well good luck with another way in. :starsmile:

Best,
f

BenB2 Apr 22nd 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by BabyG (Post 10670652)
#gutted

But to be honest I already knew that my profession wouldn't be on the list.
Looks like plan B (find a job) and plan C (marry a Canadian) for me! :p

Good luck to all who will be applying.
:fingerscrossed:

Plan C has a lot going for it, Canadian girls are awesome!! :)

Mikeypm Apr 22nd 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by BenB2 (Post 10671987)

I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me going for that type of plan C :rofl:

januarymix Apr 22nd 2013 12:05 pm

Definitely a good Plan! :thumbsup:

maximpouska Apr 23rd 2013 9:03 am

hello

I found this

# # #
"I submitted my BE, MBA and MS degrees to WES for course by course evaluation and paid their $160 fee. In return what I got was "MBA DEGREE HOLDS NO ACADEMIC VALUE - CASE CLOSED"
I asked WES, how can my case be closed when they have not provided me with evaluation for my BE and MS degree but they simply asked me to pay another $160 to get the other two evaluated.
Please avoid choosing WES under all circumstances for academic credentials evaluation. They are nothing but ripoffs and should be banned by all educational institutes and US authorities for treating their customers the way I have been dealt with. Thank you for your patient listening and hearing."

# # #
This is the company in USA - maybe the workers in Canada are hopefully not as unqualified.
more infos about this people:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...82/review/list

PS
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/educa..._services.html

AmyDavid Apr 23rd 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by maximpouska (Post 10673636)
hello

I found this

# # #
"I submitted my BE, MBA and MS degrees to WES for course by course evaluation and paid their $160 fee. In return what I got was "MBA DEGREE HOLDS NO ACADEMIC VALUE - CASE CLOSED"
I asked WES, how can my case be closed when they have not provided me with evaluation for my BE and MS degree but they simply asked me to pay another $160 to get the other two evaluated.
Please avoid choosing WES under all circumstances for academic credentials evaluation. They are nothing but ripoffs and should be banned by all educational institutes and US authorities for treating their customers the way I have been dealt with. Thank you for your patient listening and hearing."

# # #
This is the company in USA - maybe the workers in Canada are hopefully not as unqualified.
more infos about this people:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...82/review/list

PS
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/educa..._services.html

And?

Former Lancastrian Apr 23rd 2013 2:47 pm

:

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10674259)
And?

:lol: TBF though WES is mentioned as an innovator for work in foreign credentials according to this

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2013-03-13.asp

peeshpie Apr 23rd 2013 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 10671992)
I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate me going for that type of plan C :rofl:

I have lost the plot re: plan c.... I sat shouting 'marry me!' at the rather good looking RCMP officer on last night's BBC news at 10....husband sat in the chair shaking his head....;)

gb_griffiths Apr 23rd 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by peeshpie (Post 10674716)
I have lost the plot re: plan c.... I sat shouting 'marry me!' at the rather good looking RCMP officer on last night's BBC news at 10....husband sat in the chair shaking his head....;)

You think that's bad, I shouted the exact same thing. I'm so desperate to emigrate I've gone all gay.

Mikeypm Apr 23rd 2013 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10674782)
You think that's bad, I shouted the exact same thing. I'm so desperate to emigrate I've gone all gay.

Well its fine as gay marriage is legal in Canada, go get yourself a tall dark and handsome fella :rofl:

gb_griffiths Apr 23rd 2013 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 10674789)
Well its fine as gay marriage is legal in Canada, go get yourself a tall dark and handsome fella :rofl:

I'm more like Professor Peach in the Italian job:

"Are they big? I like them big."

Mikeypm Apr 23rd 2013 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths (Post 10674822)
I'm more like Professor Peach in the Italian job:

"Are they big? I like them big."

Ok so you maybe breaking one or two groping laws then :rofl::eek:

Mikeypm Apr 23rd 2013 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by peeshpie (Post 10674716)

:lol:

peeshpie Apr 23rd 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 10674831)
:lol:

Totally nuts!! Can't really share my thoughts about my obsession with Canada other than with my husband...they just don't get it.....a favourite pastime is to watch the North American weather forecast on the bbc website.....such a dreamer...:eek:

peeshpie Apr 23rd 2013 9:52 pm

This is starting to become a confessional....back to the catholic habits of my childhood...'bless me father for I have have sinned...it has been 30 years since my last confession.'.....:lol:

Waggle Apr 24th 2013 12:16 am

Originally Posted by lydiaparr (Post 10669102)
Is this something in all seriousness you can do.? Is there a desk you can go to officially to have your application accepted.? Is it worth doing.?
Will CIC take handed in applications before the posted ones.?

Just curious as hubby will be applying as a computer programmer. Are we wasting our time even trying to apply by post.?

I believe so. Some lawyers/agents were actually charging for a hand-in-person service.

Although I don't have any experience of it personally.

I imagine they just take them in the order they arrive, depends if the post van gets there before or after they open the doors for personal hand-ins! ;p

Wayne.

Waggle Apr 24th 2013 12:22 am

Hey,

Ben

That's the nail right on the head, there.

Applicants were facing two unpleasant possibilities
1) Being beaten to the cap by other applicants who chose to gamble and prepare their documents "in case" they were on the list
2) Wasting their time preparing documents only to find they are not on the list.

2 weeks is an unreasonable time to expect an applicant to react to the list coming out. With this 'freeze' they could have announced this months ago.

OR changed the start date to July or something and given everybody a fair chance to react to the list and prepare their documents.

Canada is a great place, we love it here. But the wall of bureaucracy and red tape surrounding it is regrettably likely to put a lot of good people off trying :(

Wayne.

Waggle Apr 24th 2013 12:27 am

Hey,

It is this cap of 300 that simply makes it not worth applying - it will be gone in minutes on day 1 as applications are received from the built up head of applications ...

Well, just to put things into perspective on that one. We sent our application in 2010 some 8 weeks after the list was announced. In 3131 Pharmacy which was I believe the 2nd most popular NOC after the 1122.

When they eventually announced how many apps were received (some time after ours had landed) the 3131 NOC was at 350 odd out of 1000. So I believe ours was probably one of the first 300 received.

And that was a popular NOC. And a lot of people in the same boat.

So the cap of 300 certainly makes things tougher than the 1000 caps of 2010, but it's not insurmountable.

Wayne.

Siouxie Apr 24th 2013 3:03 am

Don't forget that whilst some people may have 'pre-empted' the announcement by filling out the forms ahead of time, they may be out of luck because there are new forms coming out for this application - unless they have already updated them (I am not sure whether they have or not).

"... IMPORTANT NOTE: CIC will update application kits and web materials before the new FSWP is launched on May 4, 2013. Prospective applicants who wish to get a head start on their application can proceed with the steps and information outlined above but should check the CIC website for new FSWP application forms... "

Mikeypm Apr 24th 2013 9:05 am

Originally Posted by peeshpie (Post 10675005)
Totally nuts!! Can't really share my thoughts about my obsession with Canada other than with my husband...they just don't get it.....a favourite pastime is to watch the North American weather forecast on the bbc website.....such a dreamer...:eek:

I have Vancouver time and weather set up on my smartphone :lol:

Mikeypm Apr 24th 2013 9:08 am

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10675271)
Don't forget that whilst some people may have 'pre-empted' the announcement by filling out the forms ahead of time, they may be out of luck because there are new forms coming out for this application - unless they have already updated them (I am not sure whether they have or not).

"... IMPORTANT NOTE: CIC will update application kits and web materials before the new FSWP is launched on May 4, 2013. Prospective applicants who wish to get a head start on their application can proceed with the steps and information outlined above but should check the CIC website for new FSWP application forms... "

I suppose if you have a trade/job on the list of 24 it couldnt do any ahrm to fill the forms so you know and have the info required. Then if new forms come out you are in any sense updating from a draft document to the final document. I wouldnt see it as extra work as once your app goes in there will be further requests for info etc and hoops to jump through so in the larger picture its part and parcel of getting over to Canada ehhh ;)

AmyDavid Apr 24th 2013 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10675271)

AND I seriously doubt anyone will have their credential assessment tied up by that date. ICAS are quoting three months at that the moment and that will only get worse.

januarymix Apr 24th 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Waggle (Post 10675162)
That's the nail right on the head, there.

Applicants were facing two unpleasant possibilities
1) Being beaten to the cap by other applicants who chose to gamble and prepare their documents "in case" they were on the list
2) Wasting their time preparing documents only to find they are not on the list.

2 weeks is an unreasonable time to expect an applicant to react to the list coming out. With this 'freeze' they could have announced this months ago.

OR changed the start date to July or something and given everybody a fair chance to react to the list and prepare their documents.

Canada is a great place, we love it here. But the wall of bureaucracy and red tape surrounding it is regrettably likely to put a lot of good people off trying :(

Wayne.

We have spent a heap on the processes: certificates, IELTS, ICAS, notaries etc. Prior years and this. This year because if we didn't we would not have had the time, they announced so late.

I guess it is not the government's job to care, but I care about my hard earned money and I think in fairness consideration to us would be appreciated.

orly Apr 25th 2013 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10675944)
AND I seriously doubt anyone will have their credential assessment tied up by that date. ICAS are quoting three months at that the moment and that will only get worse.

I would expect the times to get longer.

BabyG Apr 26th 2013 10:10 pm

Well I hope Canadian guys think us British girls are awesome too.;)

Of course if I ever decide to swing the other way....!

scribe123 Apr 26th 2013 10:40 pm

now, now miss, you must know making a comment like that is tempting fate if some of our more seasoned posters see it :)

scribe123 May 1st 2013 3:56 pm

When the backgrounder states that "CIC will update application kits and web materials before the new FSWP is launched on May 4, 2013" I'm starting to think that will be 11:59pm on the 3rd.

I wish they would hurry up :(