FSW - letter of reference

Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW - letter of reference

Agreeed
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And hopefully spell vouch perhaps?
You're picking up on other people's spelling?! Hello pot, meet kettle.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Danii_i is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by januarymix

27 is still long but if you're interested, why not a shot.

Is your job advertised? Do you have 'side' managers that can voich for your role and skills?
Yes, my job has been included in the list of eligible occupations which is great as I was thininking about other ways of getting to Canada, including studying (me or my husband). I just need to think how to sell it to my manager that he signs the reference letter that describes my role without becoming suspicious. The only hint I have had so far was about a mortgage application. Has anyone used other excuse?

The lead time of 27 months suits us well too, have a few family things to (hopefully) sort out before we head off to a new place.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danii_i
Yes, my job has been included in the list of eligible occupations which is great as I was thininking about other ways of getting to Canada, including studying (me or my husband). I just need to think how to sell it to my manager that he signs the reference letter that describes my role without becoming suspicious. The only hint I have had so far was about a mortgage application. Has anyone used other excuse?

The lead time of 27 months suits us well too, have a few family things to (hopefully) sort out before we head off to a new place.
Just be honest Im sure your boss wouldn't object to you emigrating to another country.
They might be pissed if you did it while hiding the fact that you were looking for another job and not emigrating.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danii_i

That's great. In my post above, when I said is your job advertised. I should elaborate (sorry, I get lazy typing on those silly handheld devices) -

If there are current roles advertised with your capacity/title in your current company, you can also use this as evidence of the roles/responsibilities your job entails.

This is not a reference per se, but can back up your evidence. i.e that your job does fall into the relevant NOC category.

I think that you should evaluate the strength of your application (is it definitely over the 65 points or whatever it is that CIC deem as a successful match), what is the quota for your NOC code and is it a very popular occupation (I recall some would get filled up within a few days and some not for many months). This latter factor affects whether your application would likely make it into CIC processing, imo.

Then you have a good idea of your success, pending all documentation coming along well...

If it is a high chance of success, then EVEN IF you cannot find the best excuse - or you just be completely honest as FL recommends - the chances of this application detrimentally affecting you at your current work is minimised i.e. the care factor is minimised.

I don't know what type of work environment you work in, but at some stage I imagine that you might need a reference from them anyway (for future roles) and you might care what they say. So that sways towards honesty - definitely if not now, at some stage in the future.

I don't know what excuses you might have besides the mortgage to be honest. I would just say that I would like a reference for my records, but I get the feeling that you feel your company/employer is quite closed and may target you if they feel you might leave?

Is there HR? Anyone else at all in your company whom you could reasonably confide in? I don't know, but whatever you decide..
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

This may not help (because I don't know if its worked yet!) but if your company is a reasonable size, think about who else your department interacts with. I'm applying under PNP rather than FSW and had initially sent in contract, letter of offer/job description, business card and most recent payslip as confirmation of current role, but was subsequently asked for a full employers reference. My employers have a habit of being very mercenary with staff when it suits them and my job reports straight into director level - I know for a fact that any request for a reference to my boss or HR would result in my not having a job; however, I also report indirectly to marketing and get on well with the head of department there who agreed to write a reference on the basis that it was made clear he wasn't my immediate line manager but was a senior person n the business. We sent that in with an organisational structure chart showing the relationship of our two departments and links to our profiles on the company website. Might not work but at least I still have a job...
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I must be very lucky in that honesty worked for me.
I explained that I was emigrating, not going to another employer locally and that I would not be in competition in any way. I also explained that there is a likelihood that I wouldn't be accepted and not leave.

I don't know what your relationship is like with your manager, but I found this to work for me. My manager was not happy initially and said that I would be putting him in difficulty to fill my position, I explained that the process is a long one and may take over a year and that I would keep him fully abreast of any developments. This was about a year ago and to be honest, he has gotten involved and keeps asking me if I have any news, what's the area like I'm going to move to, what's the weather like and he has got really positive about it, if anything I would say it has strengthened our relationship on a personal level.

Obviously not all managers are as good as mine, but aren't you more likely to maintain a good relationship if you are upfront and honest from the start, rather than lying about it and maybe getting caught out?

Its a tough one and I wish you luck for whatever route you take!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I too took the honesty approach. I've been at my company for 7 years & they've always known I've wanted to move to Canada, it's never got in the way of pay rises etc & they were happy to write me a letter. They know it can be a long process & that when I do go they'll have plenty of warning & time to find a replacement so it doesn't really bother them. Maybe you are over thinking it & worrying for no reason (granted it depends on the type of people you work for)
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Danii_i is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for the hints. I wish my work place was that open so I could tell them I am planning to leave without any repercussions...Anyway, I will have another think (and maybe one more) and will decide what to do.
cheers
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

muners is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to my boss about it all, explained it took years and this was just verification of my skills, he was happy with that and signed away.
If it comes in sooner so what, he's already signed off on it so not much he can say when I hand my notice in other than agree with me that it took less than the years I stated
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muners
I spoke to my boss about it all, explained it took years and this was just verification of my skills, he was happy with that and signed away.
If it comes in sooner so what, he's already signed off on it so not much he can say when I hand my notice in other than agree with me that it took less than the years I stated
Perfect!

Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:32 am
Just Joined

pennydog is an unknown quantity at this point

I attempted the mortgage letter route this morning and it backfired. I was told I wouldn't need that, they've never done it before and that it was stupid, just give them my P60. So now I'm stuck because it will be obvious I lied if I come out with a different story for needing it now!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennydog
I attempted the mortgage letter route this morning and it backfired. I was told I wouldn't need that, they've never done it before and that it was stupid, just give them my P60. So now I'm stuck because it will be obvious I lied if I come out with a different story for needing it now!
Oh no, sorry to hear that. Your boss doesn't sound very nice
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:49 am
Just Joined

pennydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Oh no, sorry to hear that. Your boss doesn't sound very nice
This is my colleague who car shares with me, she's accounts, purchasing and HR manager because we're only a small company. If I now went direct to the MD to tell him my plans, she would know about it because he would assign the job to her to do (as well as discussing it with her anyway), so it would be obvious that I lied. I'm getting a bit panicky now if I'm honest.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennydog
Just do a quick Google for 'employers reference mortgage' and it will tell her why employment refs are requested (I've had one requested for the last two mortgages we've applied for). It's not for proof of income, it's proof of how long you've been employed there and your job etc, so the P60 often isn't enough.

So it would be perfectly normal, you've just got to convince her of that (and hope she doesn't insist on addressing it to your mortgage company!).

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.