Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW: How many points are for LLB (Bachelor of Law from Pakistan)

Wikiposts

FSW: How many points are for LLB (Bachelor of Law from Pakistan)

Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

jhelumpk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question FSW: How many points are for LLB (Bachelor of Law from Pakistan)

Please let me know if a person has done LLB (Bachelor of Law from Pakistan) comprising 17 years of total study then how many points can be earned?
CIC gives information but its confusing. Take a look:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-education.asp

1) You have a master’s degree or PhD and at least 17 years of full-time or full- time equivalent study. 25 points
2) You have two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 22 points

On the same page it reads:

"If you studied less than the number of years listed with your highest degree or diploma, you must award yourself the points that match your years of study.

Example 1: If you have a master’s degree but have completed only 15 years of full-time study, award yourself 22 points.
Example 2: If you have a three- or four-year bachelor’s degree, and at least 14 years of education, award yourself 20 points."

The above guidance is bit confusing because it creates question whether consider number of years or level of education. Take,for instance, Law degree to assign points. In Pakistan requirement to take admission for Law degree is B.A (14 years of education) and Law degree takes 3 years to complete,so, after completing this degree one has 17 years of education. By considering this, no. of years, points should be 25.
But on the other hand if we consider level of education it is Bachelor of law which gives 22 points according to the table.
What you say????????? Please try to quote reference.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW: How many points are for LLB (Bachelor of Law from Pakistan)

It's just a degree isn't it? So 20 points. Even if you've studied for 30 years, if your highest credential is a degree then you still only get the 20 points, you don't get extra for additional years study. So unless it was a masters degree, then it would be 20.

The 22 points you mention is for multiple bachelor's degrees, i.e. if you have two or more degrees.

Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jhelumpk
Please let me know if a person has done LLB (Bachelor of Law from Pakistan) comprising 17 years of total study then how many points can be earned?
CIC gives information but its confusing. Take a look:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-education.asp

1) You have a master’s degree or PhD and at least 17 years of full-time or full- time equivalent study. 25 points
2) You have two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study. 22 points

On the same page it reads:

"If you studied less than the number of years listed with your highest degree or diploma, you must award yourself the points that match your years of study.

Example 1: If you have a master’s degree but have completed only 15 years of full-time study, award yourself 22 points.
Example 2: If you have a three- or four-year bachelor’s degree, and at least 14 years of education, award yourself 20 points."

The above guidance is bit confusing because it creates question whether consider number of years or level of education. Take,for instance, Law degree to assign points. In Pakistan requirement to take admission for Law degree is B.A (14 years of education) and Law degree takes 3 years to complete,so, after completing this degree one has 17 years of education. By considering this, no. of years, points should be 25.
But on the other hand if we consider level of education it is Bachelor of law which gives 22 points according to the table.
What you say????????? Please try to quote reference.
If you have a law degree and cannot work this out, I fear for the validity of LL.B.s from Pakistan. Without another degree (Master or otherwise) why do you believe you are entitled to more than 22 points (on the assumption that you have 2 degrees - B.A. and LL.B.)?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Aug 11th 2010 at 1:49 am.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:32 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you have a law degree and cannot work this out, I fear for the validity of LL.B.s from Pakistan.
I dont know why are you trying to link the validity of his degree to his ability to work out his points. He didnt say he is a mathematician, he said he's a lawyer, and I am sure you can differentiate between the two. And end of the day the job of a lawyer is to make a somewhat weak case look strong, and thats whats hes weighing his options for by coming on here and seeking advice.

Last edited by Edo; Aug 11th 2010 at 3:35 am.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I dont know why are you trying to link the validity of his degree to his ability to work out his points. He didnt say he is a mathematician, he said he's a lawyer, and I am sure you can differentiate between the two. And end of the day the job of a lawyer is to make a somewhat weak case look strong, and thats whats hes weighing his options for by coming on here and seeking advice.
I would imagine that an almost lawyer would be able to look at the criteria and reach a conclusion. As I said above, without a Masters, why does s/he believe s/he is entitled to 25 points? The criteria quoted seems straightforward to me. The inclusion of the word "and" in 1) and 2) above makes, IMHO, the position very clear: both are required.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Aug 11th 2010 at 5:06 am.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

My OH claimed 20 points for LLB Hons from a British University.