Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Frustrated trying to contact CIO from Canada

Wikiposts

Frustrated trying to contact CIO from Canada

Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:57 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frustrated trying to contact CIO from Canada

Has anyone got any idea about how to contact CIC from within Canada effectively?

We have been trying to call them on the number given on the website for two days solid now to find out why my OH's TWP renewal hasn't come. It is now outside the quoted timescale and I cannot get my Spousal one until this comes through.

It is already well past the date they originally quoted (60 days from receipt of the online application).
I was expecting to activate my Spousal WP at POE but they extended that to 84 days the week before I got here. (Thanks a lot for that, guys)

Now the site is quoting 77 days, which makes our deadline for completion yesterday, but it isn't here and every day I cannot work is costing us money, so I am keen to have it and be able to plan a border crossing trip to activate it.

All we get on the number is that all the operators are busy and try again later. My OH has been trying every half an hour with no reply and he has got a job to do as well!!!

Call Centre services (if you are in Canada only)

The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada.

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

Any other contact numbers or ideas would be gratefully received.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:13 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustrated trying to contact CIO from Canada

Originally Posted by helcat12
Has anyone got any idea about how to contact CIC from within Canada effectively?

We have been trying to call them on the number given on the website for two days solid now to find out why my OH's TWP renewal hasn't come. It is now outside the quoted timescale and I cannot get my Spousal one until this comes through.

It is already well past the date they originally quoted (60 days from receipt of the online application).
I was expecting to activate my Spousal WP at POE but they extended that to 84 days the week before I got here. (Thanks a lot for that, guys)

Now the site is quoting 77 days, which makes our deadline for completion yesterday, but it isn't here and every day I cannot work is costing us money, so I am keen to have it and be able to plan a border crossing trip to activate it.

All we get on the number is that all the operators are busy and try again later. My OH has been trying every half an hour with no reply and he has got a job to do as well!!!

The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada.

It may be in the post. If so it should be there before Christmas. Welcome to Canada
Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:17 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It may be in the post. If so it should be there before Christmas. Welcome to Canada
Ah, well.
If I get short of money, there is always "amateur night" at the biker bar down in Aldergrove.
I believe ladies can make a few tax-free dollars down there.
I assume it is some sort of bar work.......?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:57 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

You have to call the number you been calling. Then keep pressing zero. You will probably have to call back and do this 4 or 5 times - eventually it will queue you to speak to someone. Don't expect them to give you much information. Generally all they can tell you is what date applications they are currently processing.

Good luck
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. Vegreville is finalizing applications received 21/07/11, then there is the mailing time. It takes time for Canada post to get it to you.
2. You don't activate it by going to a POE, you get a work permit in the mail.
3. If you had a copy of your spouse's work permit when you arrived, you could have activated your spousal owp at the POE of entry, it would have been issued right then and there, there is no waiting period.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:37 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Vegreville is finalizing applications received 21/07/11, then there is the mailing time. It takes time for Canada post to get it to you.
2. You don't activate it by going to a POE, you get a work permit in the mail.
3. If you had a copy of your spouse's work permit when you arrived, you could have activated your spousal owp at the POE of entry, it would have been issued right then and there, there is no waiting period.
1) That was updated on 10th October. As it is now the 18th and assuming they have actually been doing any work since then, it should be further on by now.
The processing time is now saying 77 days, which for my husband would mean his renewal was due yesterday.
2) and 3) Why can't I do it at POE?
If they had processed it in the time they quoted when I booked my flight i.e. 60 days I would have been able to do it at POE when I flew in from the UK, so why not now? The Immigration Officer at YVR said it was fine to do it there once my husband's renewal was through.

I couldn't get my Spousal WP when I flew in this time because, as I have described, my husband was on Implied status when I arrived, his TWP having run out at the end of August and his renewal having been submitted at the start of August online and the processing date having jumped from 60 days to 84 days the week before I arrived.
We were told that it is not possible for a Spouse to claim their SWP if the TWP holder's permit is on implied status awaiting their renewal, as the SWP is issued for the same length of time as the TWP and so they need to know how long that has been issued for before they can issue the Spousal one.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for TWP based on my husband and did it all inland and received TWP through the post and the same when we reapplied after 3 years and I was the main applicant with LMO and again got TWP through the post.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:46 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I applied for TWP based on my husband and did it all inland and received TWP through the post and the same when we reapplied after 3 years and I was the main applicant with LMO and again got TWP through the post.
But then I will be another 84 days without being able to work.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:47 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

YOU can go to the border to activate a WP for YOU - once your Husband receives his WP through the mail.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:50 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
YOU can go to the border to activate a WP for YOU - once your Husband receives his WP through the mail.
Good. That`s what I thought.
So, I`ll try your trick to see what happens!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:51 pm

Good. That`s what I thought.
So, I`ll try your trick to see what happens!!!!
Good luck x
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:38 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, well.
If I get short of money, there is always "amateur night" at the biker bar down in Aldergrove.
I believe ladies can make a few tax-free dollars down there.
I assume it is some sort of bar work.......?
I see you've found the high spots of night life in Aldergrove... See, well worth coming to Canada for that alone!!!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:45 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
I see you've found the high spots of night life in Aldergrove... See, well worth coming to Canada for that alone!!!

I think I must have seen you there last Saturday - grey beard and a Harley
I would have said hello but it was amateur night, so I was a bit busy

I am expecting you to show me a few more salubrious nightspots when we go for that drink we mentioned.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe if new application it doesn't take as long as if renewing
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:00 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I believe if new application it doesn't take as long as if renewing
Not at the moment.
Both applications for new and the same employer from inside Canada are both running at 77 days now.

That is updated supposedly every week (but that doesn`t always happen).

Here is the link to the times for anyone who might need them;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp