French language test

Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:32 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French language test

Hi all,

Looking at PR scores for express entry I am thinking of trying the french test but noticed it requires above CLB5. Can anybody who has done it or knows much about it tell me if that is considered fairly high in terms of being bilingual or is it not such a high level? I only really speak some French from an app I have been using on my phone so mine is fairly basic haha!

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French language test

Hi

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi all,

Looking at PR scores for express entry I am thinking of trying the french test but noticed it requires above CLB5. Can anybody who has done it or knows much about it tell me if that is considered fairly high in terms of being bilingual or is it not such a high level? I only really speak some French from an app I have been using on my phone so mine is fairly basic haha!

Thanks
1. Don't think you could make CLB 5 using a Phone App.

"Intermediate Proficiency (Stage II - CLB Levels 5-8) represents the range of abilities which enable a learner to participate more fully in social, educational, and work-related settings. The contexts in which English is used are less familiar and predictable and the proficiencies demonstrated by learners enable them to function more independently. Competencies acquired in this stage may enable a learner to move beyond the ESL classroom into new opportunities. Many learners, at the end of Stage II, are ready for post-secondary academic programs." Same for French.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:32 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Don't think you could make CLB 5 using a Phone App.

"Intermediate Proficiency (Stage II - CLB Levels 5-8) represents the range of abilities which enable a learner to participate more fully in social, educational, and work-related settings. The contexts in which English is used are less familiar and predictable and the proficiencies demonstrated by learners enable them to function more independently. Competencies acquired in this stage may enable a learner to move beyond the ESL classroom into new opportunities. Many learners, at the end of Stage II, are ready for post-secondary academic programs." Same for French.
It might have been worth while if my score was borderline though? I have used rosetta stone for the past two years too but havent had the time to use it lately. I can understand signage and such enough and can speak some not too bad but struggle with listening.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It might have been worth while if my score was borderline though? I have used rosetta stone for the past two years too but havent had the time to use it lately. I can understand signage and such enough and can speak some not too bad but struggle with listening.
From what you've said and PMM has written, I think you'd be better trying to concentrate on getting maximum points for English. Not a given even for native English speakers.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to find some free (or low cost) sample tests on the net. Give those a go and see how you get on.

I think you need to have at least a 5 in all language use i.e. writing, speaking, listening and reading.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

How many points would it actually get you? Is it really worth it?

[French] CLB level 5 is at the upper end of basic/lower end of intermediate. A detailed description of what that means can be found in the tables on page 22 of this document:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/francais/pdf/pu...nguistique.pdf

I don't have experience of French language testing at the Federal level. I do have experience testing, evaluating & coaching for TEF/TEFAQ level B2 (the minimum required for points on the Qc immigration scale - CLB5 is ~ the lowest level of B2).

There are various sites where one can test one's proficiency for free to get an idea of one's level. Here's one:
MERLIN :: Media Resources for Language INstruction

If you click on B1, or B2, the questions should give you an idea if your French is up to the level required, or not.

Last edited by Shirtback; Aug 4th 2016 at 7:34 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:35 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Snowy560
From what you've said and PMM has written, I think you'd be better trying to concentrate on getting maximum points for English. Not a given even for native English speakers.
Already got the maximum for English test a few months ago.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:36 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Shirtback
How many points would it actually get you? Is it really worth it?

[French] CLB level 5 is at the upper end of basic/lower end of intermediate. A detailed description of what that means can be found in the tables on page 22 of this document:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/francais/pdf/pu...nguistique.pdf

I don't have experience of French language testing at the Federal level. I do have experience testing, evaluating & coaching for TEF/TEFAQ level B2 (the minimum required for points on the Qc immigration scale - CLB5 is ~ the lowest level of B2).

There are various sites where one can test one's proficiency for free to get an idea of one's level. Here's one:
MERLIN :: Media Resources for Language INstruction

If you click on B1, or B2, the questions should give you an idea if your French is up to the level required, or not.
My issue is I dont actually score the 67 I need to initially enter. I only have 66 as a score so I think thats the easiest way to the that 4 points that would get me over it.

Thanks very much for the link
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:36 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
You should be able to find some free (or low cost) sample tests on the net. Give those a go and see how you get on.

I think you need to have at least a 5 in all language use i.e. writing, speaking, listening and reading.
Thanks for that. Ill do that
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes try a few practice tests ... you could also consider joining a test preparation class to get your level up (if you need to). Plenty of people do that for IELTS or CELPIP.

S
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My issue is I dont actually score the 67 I need to initially enter. I only have 66 as a score so I think thats the easiest way to the that 4 points that would get me over it.

Thanks very much for the link
You're very welcome .

However, have you calculated how many points you'd putatively get on the CRS scale, *if* you got over the initial 67 pt hurdle? You'll need >450 to be in with a chance. If you can't get that, even with points for French, it might not be worth time, effort, money...
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I missed this when answering previously. You'll need to be more proficient than that for CLB5 in French.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:08 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

What is your CRS score right now?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 8:16 pm
PottsyJ

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
What is your CRS score right now?
Its only around 420 just now. Massively hampered by the fact I am not allowed to work in my skill-set in Canada.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

Its worth checking if you could be eligibly for a PNP - some provinces dont require a job offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.