Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Forum Newbie - Question regarding spousal application for Work Permit

Forum Newbie - Question regarding spousal application for Work Permit

Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

sarahwoolley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Forum Newbie - Question regarding spousal application for Work Permit

Hi everyone!

I've just been introduced to this forum and I can't believe I haven't found it before! I have LOTS of questions... ;-)

So, here comes the first of many questions no doubt. I apologise now!

My husband has been going through the BC PNP application process and recently had this approved for his new job in BC which starts in January. Now, he has been told by BC PNP that he needs to apply for a work permit which he is doing through CIC but we are both extremely confused about what to do with me. I am going with him but I have no work lined up so I believe I need to apply for an Open Work Permit but we are both confused about how we should be doing this. Does he apply on my behalf or do I also need to submit a separate application? Or, as someone else has suggested, do I wait until I get to the airport at Vancouver and apply there?

My intention is to re-start my photography business once I'm there, although I may look for a part-time job in the first instance until this is up and running. My husband will be teaching at the JIBC and has secured a two year contract but we suspect we'll be applying for PR once we're there.

I hope that all makes sense - it's been a while since I've delved into forums! And I hope someone can help with our confusion!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forum Newbie - Question regarding spousal application for Work Permit

Simplest answer.
If eligible to apply for a Spousal Work Permit at a Port Of Entry (i.e UK citizen on a UK passport) then do it on entering Canada at the POE. Pay the $155 work permit fee and $100 processing fee at the POE and that's it no forms to fill out. What skill level is your husband? You will also need to apply for the eTA so you can travel to Canada.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Oct 11th 2018 at 9:14 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Forum Newbie - Question regarding spousal application for Work Permit

Skill level A (NOC code 4011). The added complication we have is that he will be heading to BC a couple of weeks ahead of me due to work commitments. So would I still be able to apply at POE if I'm arriving alone?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahwoolley
Skill level A (NOC code 4011). The added complication we have is that he will be heading to BC a couple of weeks ahead of me due to work commitments. So would I still be able to apply at POE if I'm arriving alone?
Yes but I suggest he sends you a copy of his work permit so you can prove he is in a skilled job and therefore eligible to be issued with a SOWP. Perhaps also if married a copy of the marriage certificate.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Ah ok, that makes sense. Am I right in thinking the WP gets issued at POE though? I wouldn't have to wait for it?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah ok, that makes sense. Am I right in thinking the WP gets issued at POE though? I wouldn't have to wait for it?
Issued at the POE although depending on how busy the POE is there will be a wait if numerous people in front of you but it will be issued before you leave the POE unless all the systems were down and the CBSA officer doesn't know how to do a manual work permit.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Ok, that's great thanks FL! Is applying for the OWP at POE still possible if we've applied for the BC PNP through EE? I probably should have mentioned that before...
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, that's great thanks FL! Is applying for the OWP at POE still possible if we've applied for the BC PNP through EE? I probably should have mentioned that before...
If husband has applied for the TWP overseas/online he will get a letter from IRCC processing his application. He takes that letter to the POE and the work permit is issued based on the letter and fee payment made with the application.
He could have simply waited for the BC PNP Nomination letter to be issued and a letter/copy of contract from employer and then done everything at the POE and pay the fees at the POE.
If application already submitted then stick with that route.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If husband has applied for the TWP overseas/online he will get a letter from IRCC processing his application. He takes that letter to the POE and the work permit is issued based on the letter and fee payment made with the application.
He could have simply waited for the BC PNP Nomination letter to be issued and a letter/copy of contract from employer and then done everything at the POE and pay the fees at the POE.
If application already submitted then stick with that route.
He hasn’t submitted the application for TWP as yet and not paid any fees. The application is asking for way more info that we have yet to gather (letters from current employer) and appears to be charging a total of $510 for his permit, my permit and two $100 additional fees so we’re reluctant to continue if the process is simpler at POE?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He hasn’t submitted the application for TWP as yet and not paid any fees. The application is asking for way more info that we have yet to gather (letters from current employer) and appears to be charging a total of $510 for his permit, my permit and two $100 additional fees so we’re reluctant to continue if the process is simpler at POE?
Each work permit is $155 Cad and if both open work permits a $100 processing fee for each one so the total payable is $510 regardless if done at the POE or not. No forms to fill out either but if applying at a POE MAKE SURE you have all relevant documents if not then could be in for a world of hurt and worst case scenario next flight back.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Each work permit is $155 Cad and if both open work permits a $100 processing fee for each one so the total payable is $510 regardless if done at the POE or not. No forms to fill out either but if applying at a POE MAKE SURE you have all relevant documents if not then could be in for a world of hurt and worst case scenario next flight back.
Ok that makes more sense. Is there somewhere we can find a list of all the documents he should have at POE in that case? He has letter from BC PNP, letters from his job etc but what else should we arm ourselves with? Would sooner take too much stuff and try to avoid that worse case scenario!!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok that makes more sense. Is there somewhere we can find a list of all the documents he should have at POE in that case? He has letter from BC PNP, letters from his job etc but what else should we arm ourselves with? Would sooner take too much stuff and try to avoid that worse case scenario!!
Is the letter from BCNP for any employer or employer specific. Does job need a medical or certification to work in a specific job? Has he been offered a job? More info needed.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Is the letter from BCNP for any employer or employer specific. Does job need a medical or certification to work in a specific job? Has he been offered a job? More info needed.
it’s employer specific, no medical or certification to work needed and yes, he has a job offer and contract all received.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it’s employer specific, no medical or certification to work needed and yes, he has a job offer and contract all received.
Then all of that and the BCPNP support letter is all that is required to apply at the POE. Make sure passports are valid for duration of stay. Have a list of any goods that are being shipped at a later date. CBSA accepts cash and major credit cards and debit as payment. He also needs to apply for the eTA.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

FL Aren't you forgetting the $230 ECF which the employer has to pay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.