Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Flying Internationally PR/ETA Visa Issues

Flying Internationally PR/ETA Visa Issues

Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:12 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying Internationally PR/ETA Visa Issues

This is the second time I have had issues checking in to flights coming back to Canada on my PR.

First was a flight with United from Houston to Calgary, they could not check me in because they said I needed a ETA Waiver completed. They had to manually go through the system which added 20 minutes to the whole process.

Yesterday, I was flying Heathrow to Calgary and the same problem happened, this time it took 30 minutes for them to bypass it.

Has anyone else had this issue flying?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 7:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying Internationally PR/ETA Visa Issues

Nope i had no issues flying from the UK to Calgary in January..dont even no what an ETA waiver is?..thought if you are PR and have the card or PRTD you don't need the ETA or any waiver
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:28 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the whole issue. United and BA systems were telling me I needed one, the check in people had to figure out how to bypass it. Leaving is fine, returning was the issue for me.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that others have indeed commented on this issue in other threads when returning to Canada.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:37 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

I have with BA last year. I couldn't check in online on my return leg (Heathrow to Vancouver) so I called BA and they were able to add my PR details over the phone. Bit of a pain.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:12 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

No issues with Air Transat

I had to show my PR card before I left the country to confirm I lived in Canada. When I checked in online it didnt ask for my PR card number either.

I don't ever fly with BA so I don't know about their checking in system
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:36 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

I put my experience down to it being a British airline. Once I was on the phone the man knew what my problem was straight away.

I don't think they even checked my PR card until I got to Canadian immigration after that.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I don't ever fly with BA so I don't know about their checking in system

BA are firmly and permanently on my 'no fly' list. Service with a snarl (if you can even get their attention in the first place)!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

BA told my partner to just put his PR card details where it was asking for a passport and it worked ok. (WestJet say to do the same thing)

If checking in at a kiosk put the pr card in instead of the passport.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:24 pm
Chips & Gravy

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
BA told my partner to just put his PR card details where it was asking for a passport and it worked ok. (WestJet say to do the same thing)

If checking in at a kiosk put the pr card in instead of the passport.
I'll have to remember that next time.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:49 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i had no issues flying with BA from the UK to Canada
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i had no issues flying with BA from the UK to Canada
Did you have an ETA before you had PR? A lot of people still have valid etas if they became a PR after having one.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 7:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
Did you have an ETA before you had PR? A lot of people still have valid etas if they became a PR after having one.
I would have thought the eta is cancelled as any work permits are cancelled.(if you show the same passport when you land).
Old Mar 21st 2017, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I would have thought the eta is cancelled as any work permits are cancelled.(if you show the same passport when you land).
If you check the ETA site you'll often see that the ETA is still valid.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 7:13 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick

BA are firmly and permanently on my 'no fly' list. Service with a snarl (if you can even get their attention in the first place)!

They are not the best but certainly not the worst either...I would fly with them if their price came out cheaper/better value.

My 'no fly' list is only the infamous budget airline operating out of Dublin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.