Flagpoling - again!!!

Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future
Default Flagpoling - again!!!

Just a quick question - oh has to go to border to get employer changed on TWP - has new LMO,

Do me or the kids need to go, i have spousal open work permit and kids are on mine.

Any help appreciated

Thanks Anne
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

send out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Flagpoling - again!!!

Originally Posted by anne-ireland
Just a quick question - oh has to go to border to get employer changed on TWP - has new LMO,

Do me or the kids need to go, i have spousal open work permit and kids are on mine.

Any help appreciated

Thanks Anne
Yes, you will have to get yours updated too. I didn't go when my husband did his and we had to do another trip to issue my new SOWP and to put the childrens school permit on mine. I was informed by the border immigration that the previous ones were considered invalid and I should have done it at the same time. (Wish I had known before it was a 8 hour round trip)
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

thanks, i thought that, my problem is we were here 6 weeks and oh was laid off by first company luckily he found another job and they applied for lmo - they were granted one for only 8 WEEKS!!!! but were told they could reapply for extension

Anyway i have good job in calgary and i dont want lose my 2 year wp - God things are such a mess, beware anybody coming out here on TWP you are at the mercy of employers.

OH rang company a month before we left home and spoke with owner asking about work situation and recession, and was given all sorts of reassurances about how they had so much work etc..

I suppose all we can do is play by rules - and chance getting the extension, means a trip to border for all of us

Thanks again
Anne
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

send out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the rough

thanks, i thought that, my problem is we were here 6 weeks and oh was laid off by first company luckily he found another job and they applied for lmo - they were granted one for only 8 WEEKS!!!! but were told they could reapply for extension

Anyway i have good job in calgary and i dont want lose my 2 year wp - God things are such a mess, beware anybody coming out here on TWP you are at the mercy of employers.

OH rang company a month before we left home and spoke with owner asking about work situation and recession, and was given all sorts of reassurances about how they had so much work etc..

I suppose all we can do is play by rules - and chance getting the extension, means a trip to border for all of us

Thanks again
Anne
Yup. We are in the same boat as my OH got laid off last week, and that's after we arrived to work for one company to be told 2 days later the job was on hold! The company recommended him to another company, got LMO in 1 DAY, he flagpoled but now he has been laid off due to shortage of work. Guess it's last one in, first one out. Fortunately I have my SOWP which is for two years, so I'm now out job-hunting. It's totally bizarre but never know, it could be a blessing in disguise.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

It's a mess, i am now only gonna have an 8 week wp - which is ridiculous - the sickening part is i have a great job!

can't believe all of this is happening, anyway best of luck with job hunting, what work are you looking for?

Anne
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:12 pm

dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by send out the calgary
Yes, you will have to get yours updated too. I didn't go when my husband did his and we had to do another trip to issue my new SOWP and to put the childrens school permit on mine. I was informed by the border immigration that the previous ones were considered invalid and I should have done it at the same time. (Wish I had known before it was a 8 hour round trip)
im confused by the advice to renew sowp unless it is about to expire....as far as i understand.... that should be absolutely fine although the kids may be different .....depending on their age and when they are going to school etc!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunniflat
im confused by the advice to renew sowp unless it is about to expire....as far as i understand.... that should be absolutely fine although the kids may be different .....depending on their age and when they are going to school etc!
As my OH wasn't going to be employed by the original company and was going to another company, I was told by the border immigration that if I had worked with that SOWP then I would have been working illegally. However, although my husband is presently laid off, my SOWP is still in effect for the rest of the 2 years. I would have to change it again if he got another job somewhere else, which would involve another LMO and I could end up with less time like the original poster. It's a bit strange as I can work practically anywhere for the duration of my permit, even if he isn't working.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

It's a mess, i am now only gonna have an 8 week wp - which is ridiculous - the sickening part is i have a great job!

can't believe all of this is happening, anyway best of luck with job hunting, what work are you looking for?

Anne
Let's hope that you can keep renewing it, but it is very un-nerving to say the least. I am looking for ANYTHING! House-keeping, retail, shop work, whatever. I actually had my own business in UK which was in retail, so I am applying for everything! I am also a qualified Administrator with over 12 years experience but they look for Canadian experience. Got to work my way up again I guess.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

HI just wondering do you have to take kids to border, i have a friend who will mind them dont want to inflict journey on them
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:48 pm

Any help appreciated

Thanks Anne
well my husband travelled down to the border on his own on tuesday with his lmo .job offer letter and $150.
they asked him what he had been doing for the last month..he said nothing because i was working....that was good enough for the official...no more questions were asked !

stamp stamp,stamp..new valid work permit !
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

HI just wondering do you have to take kids to border, i have a friend who will mind them dont want to inflict journey on them
We all had to go. My OH took our passports with him the first time, but they told him they couldn't do it without us being present. I ended up packing every type of entertaining gadget with me with untold snacks etc. and just braced myself! If you leave really early that is probably the best bet. You can also check wait times online to see if there are any delays, I think it is a 24 hour checkpoint so the earlier the better. On a positive note, some of the views of the Rockies on the way are totally amazing!!!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:00 pm

well my husband travelled down to the border on his own on tuesday with his lmo .job offer letter and $150.
they asked him what he had been doing for the last month..he said nothing because i was working....that was good enough for the official...no more questions were asked !

stamp stamp,stamp..new valid work permit !
to update on myself and our situation ......my husband lost his job but very quickly got new job.....process of lmo etc for new job.
we also have 3 children with 2 of them having their own study permits and our youngest having a visitor record.
i have an open spousal.

the official at the border didnt seem concerned about our permits and was satisfied that i had been working while my husband had been absent.

i am still really confused by the information "send out the calgary "was given.....it seems very unreasonable!

i cant find anything official stating that my open spousal (or yours) would now be invalid due to husbands new job .
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

to update on myself and our situation ......my husband lost his job but very quickly got new job.....process of lmo etc for new job.
we also have 3 children with 2 of them having their own study permits and our youngest having a visitor record.
i have an open spousal.

the official at the border didnt seem concerned about our permits and was satisfied that i had been working while my husband had been absent.

i am still really confused by the information "send out the calgary "was given.....it seems very unreasonable!

i cant find anything official stating that my open spousal (or yours) would now be invalid due to husbands new job .
This is what the border immigration told me when we got there. I was a bit surprised, but fortunately I hadn't been working anyway.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

i have an open spousal.

Thanks for that, we spoke to the agent who originally came over with and he said the same thing as you, that i should just hang onto my wp and not go near the border.

Might try ringing somebody and make a general enquiry and see what happens

Anne
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, we spoke to the agent who originally came over with and he said the same thing as you, that i should just hang onto my wp and not go near the border.

Might try ringing somebody and make a general enquiry and see what happens

Anne
You mean they made me do an 8 hour journey for NOTHING!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.