flagpoling advice

Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

1984brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flagpoling advice

I am planning to land via flagpole at the nearest border over the next couple of days. I was sponsored via the spousal route and will be landing without my spouse as she cannot get time of work. Does the sponsor have to be there? I am going with my brother who is a canadian citizen.

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flagpoling advice

I think you can do it without, but obviously it looks a lot better to the Immigration Officer if she is there. If you intend to flagpole, make sure you don't inform the US border guards as they will likely deny you entry, and you will have to explain why you were denied entry every single time you enter the US after that.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

1984brit is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks,

I think they just give you an administrative refusal, doesnt effect re entry in the future
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The I94W Visa Waiver form explicitly asks if have you ever been refused entry to the US. If you get refused that means you have to answer yes to that question, which can raise a red flag.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

I landed in Apr 09, I landed at Coutts / Sweetgrass in Alberta. My wife did not come with me. When the immigration officer on US side asked my business, I was honest with him. He then politely told me I would be denied entry for immigration reasons and handed me a standard form they have produced explaining such. He also informed me that it would hinder any future entry into the US.

Since that time I have crossed twice, the first time when I completed the visa slip, questioned the box which states have I been refused entry before, I explained to the officer the details of my landing, he checked the system and said thats fine, and not to worry about it in the future as it was not an official rejection perse.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:35 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Call it what you like, an admistrative refusal is still a refusal.

As CanadaJummy says.......
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
The I94W Visa Waiver form explicitly asks if have you ever been refused entry to the US. If you get refused that means you have to answer yes to that question, which can raise a red flag.
Why do something that may raise that red flag for the rest of your life? Especially when the country you have been refused entry to is right next door to the one you will settle in.

I get the impression that years ago this kind of flagpoling type refusal was an accepted (done) thing. These days a lot has changed on the US immigration side of things..... e.g. You can't even transit though on airside now

Personally I wouldn't rack up any kind of refusal and would look for another way to do it the right way. Get a visit visa and go for a weekend. Lets face it it's not likely something you'll need to do again, but you may want to visit the USA a few times down the line and might find yourself wishing that you'd never had that adminstative refusal in the past.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:45 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

There is no cause for any alarm with the USINS procedure for providing proof that you have left Canada physically so that you can land as a Canadian PR. As Leecindysanders has shown. They do not enter it into their computer because for them it is strictly a courtesy and a convenient way to provide proof you left Canada.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:37 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
....a courtesy and a convenient.....
mmm.... 'US Immigration', 'courtesy' and 'convenient' don't make likely partners Must be a new concept.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=james.mc;9526935]Call it what you like, an admistrative refusal is still a refusal.

As CanadaJummy says.......

Why do something that may raise that red flag for the rest of your life? Especially when the country you have been refused entry to is right next door to the one you will settle in.

I get the impression that years ago this kind of flagpoling type refusal was an accepted (done) thing. These days a lot has changed on the US immigration side of things..... e.g. You can't even transit though on airside now

Personally I wouldn't rack up any kind of refusal and would look for another way to do it the right way. Get a visit visa and go for a weekend. Lets face it it's not likely something you'll need to do again, but you may want to visit the USA a few times down the line and might find yourself wishing that you'd never had that adminstative refusal in the past.

I have to disagree, having been through this procedure i was informed by the US border agency that this is a mere formality to expedite the landing procedure. As I mentioned they had a form already drafted which stated that the refusal was in order to Land and that it would no way impact on future entry.

Since then I have entered twice and had no problem at all, I even had the $9 visa payment waived at Sweetgrass back in May 10, although I still had to complete the form.

So from my personal experience it was worth it and hasnt affected future travel
Old Jul 30th 2011, 5:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leecyndisanders
So from my personal experience it was worth it and hasnt affected future travel
For now, perhaps. For the future - who knows? Remember that other countries may also ask you the question and perhaps not be as understanding.

Is there a reason why you didn't simply take a short trip into the United States?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
For now, perhaps. For the future - who knows? Remember that other countries may also ask you the question and perhaps not be as understanding.

Is there a reason why you didn't simply take a short trip into the United States?
Because I find lying and being decietful not to be the best way to go. If I was asked the purpose of the visit, should I have lied and said sight seeing, oh and when I return I will be activating my PR.

One career path I am looking at in the future is CBSA (I currently am employed as a federal police officer). So being honest with in my intentions is paramount.

I just don't see why people feel the need to be even slightly dishonest in why they are crossing borders.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so I just called sweetgrass crossing, they confirmed that the reason they 'deny' and issue the letter is so on your return to to Canada you can show Canadian immigration that you did indeed leave Canada and therefore are eligible to land. The refusal is purely an administrative procedure to help expedite your process should you wish not to make a trip into the states.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1984brit
I am planning to land via flagpole at the nearest border over the next couple of days.
Careful of the point on the top, you may go up an octave or two
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:23 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
mmm.... 'US Immigration', 'courtesy' and 'convenient' don't make likely partners Must be a new concept.
The courtesy is to Canada Immigration and the Border Agency, the convenience is to the intending PR.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leecyndisanders
Because I find lying and being decietful not to be the best way to go. If I was asked the purpose of the visit, should I have lied and said sight seeing, oh and when I return I will be activating my PR.

One career path I am looking at in the future is CBSA (I currently am employed as a federal police officer). So being honest with in my intentions is paramount.

I just don't see why people feel the need to be even slightly dishonest in why they are crossing borders.
Sigh.

What you might or might not have planned to do on return to Canada is of absolutely no relevance to a US immigration officer.

What on earth is deceitful about saying you planned to do some sightseeing, if in fact you had that plan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.