Wikiposts

First PR Card

Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

verybadbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Question First PR Card

Can anyone tell me what happens when you land for the first time with respect to getting your PR Card? Do you have to subsequently apply for it or does it get sent to you automatically? (CIC website seems to indicate the latter but just wanted to be sure!)

What documents are given to you by the immigration officer when you 'land'. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:10 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First PR Card

you give the officer an address , the card gets sent to that address. It needs to be a canadian one so if you don't have a canadian address , you can either use a friends or elect to provide them with one later. I believe you have six months to provide them with one.

As for paperwork , they scribble over your shiney visa in your passport, get you to sign your COPR and give you back one (I think) part of it.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:42 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I believe you have six months to provide them with one.
You have six months in which to get a PR card for free. You don't have to get a PR card within six months of landing and activating your PR status. But after six months it no longer is free. It costs $50.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:09 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You have six months in which to get a PR card for free. You don't have to get a PR card within six months of landing and activating your PR status. But after six months it no longer is free. It costs $50.
fair enough , i stand corrected (or slouch on the sofa actually!)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:29 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
fair enough , i stand corrected (or slouch on the sofa actually!)
I didn't mean to "correct" you, Zoe. I just meant to add to the information you'd provided. I actually learned that extra piece from Biiiiink.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean to "correct" you, Zoe. I just meant to add to the information you'd provided. I actually learned that extra piece from Biiiiink.
Here's the info about the 180 days and the fee - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...d/arriving.asp

I don't know for certain but the website seems to suggest that if you don't get it in the 6mths "newly-landed" window, you may have to collect the card in person when it's ready. Probably not a big deal for most, but worth knowing about if you live far away from your nearest office.

Have I interpreted that right? Anyone know for certain?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:10 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't know for certain but the website seems to suggest that if you don't get it in the 6mths "newly-landed" window, you may have to collect the card in person when it's ready. Probably not a big deal for most, but worth knowing about if you live far away from your nearest office.

Have I interpreted that right?
No, Biiiiink, that is not my reading of that page. What I mean is that I have seen nothing there that suggests you have to collect the card in person.

I have just created a Wiki called Permanent Residence Card. To assist me in the writing of the Wiki, I found CIC's web page entitled Application for a Permanent Resident Card. My reading of that information suggests to me that one can apply for a PR card by mail at any time.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:22 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Duh!!! Just noticed that CIC calls it a Permanent Resident Card. Okay, there is a new Wiki called Permanent Resident Card.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:33 am
Professional Cat herder

Judging my some of the posts in the maple leaf I think Judy needs to start a wiki about "self cleaning ovens"!!!

Please ignore me , I'm in a very silly mood
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It was this bit I was reading about collecting it in person - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...card-faq05.asp . I don't know if it also applies for new immigrants outside of their initial 180 days, but it sounds like it might.

I'll stick it in the Wiki if others agree, not sure enough about it myself!

No, Biiiiink, that is not my reading of that page. What I mean is that I have seen nothing there that suggests you have to collect the card in person.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:03 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It was this bit I was reading about collecting it in person - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...card-faq05.asp . I don't know if it also applies for new immigrants outside of their initial 180 days, but it sounds like it might.

I'll stick it in the Wiki if others agree, not sure enough about it myself!
Yes, Biiiiink, it does seem to me that immigrants (permanent residents) would have to collect their PR cards in person if they applied for them outside of their initial 180 days (post-landing).

Thanks, I think it would be great if you added that to the Wiki.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:18 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes, Biiiiink, it does seem to me that immigrants (permanent residents) would have to collect their PR cards in person if they applied for them outside of their initial 180 days (post-landing).

Thanks, I think it would be great if you added that to the Wiki.
You also have to pickup renewal cards in person.