Renewal of PR card

Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewal of PR card

In response to a question about a PR card for a new immigrant, I've just created a Wiki article called Permanent Resident Card.

To ensure that I was providing correct information, I skimmed through the information on CIC's web page entitled Application for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) : Initial Card, Replacement or Renewal.

Frankly, it was a boatload of stuff to read about a topic that I would have thought was relatively simple. I feel I read it thoroughly enough to provide information for newly arrived permanent residents.

I understand the concept of an initial PR card. It's the one you get right after you've landed in Canada and have activated your PR status.

I also understand the concept of a replacement card. After all, you might lose your initial card.

What I don't understand is the concept of renewal. A quick reading of all the bumph didn't tell me why I might need to renew my PR card if I was a PR. Do PR cards expire? If so, how long does a PR card last?

If you can provide an answer in this thread, I'll be happy to add the information to the Wiki about PR cards. If you'd like to add the information to the Wiki yourself, please feel free to do so.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:17 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of PR card

Hi

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
In response to a question about a PR card for a new immigrant, I've just created a Wiki article called Permanent Resident Card.

To ensure that I was providing correct information, I skimmed through the information on CIC's web page entitled Application for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) : Initial Card, Replacement or Renewal.

Frankly, it was a boatload of stuff to read about a topic that I would have thought was relatively simple. I feel I read it thoroughly enough to provide information for newly arrived permanent residents.

I understand the concept of an initial PR card. It's the one you get right after you've landed in Canada and have activated your PR status.

I also understand the concept of a replacement card. After all, you might lose your initial card.

What I don't understand is the concept of renewal. A quick reading of all the bumph didn't tell me why I might need to renew my PR card if I was a PR. Do PR cards expire? If so, how long does a PR card last?

If you can provide an answer in this thread, I'll be happy to add the information to the Wiki about PR cards. If you'd like to add the information to the Wiki yourself, please feel free to do so.
Yes, they are only valid for 5 years, and you have to meet the PR residency requirements to renew them.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:17 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Yes, they are only valid for 5 years, and you have to meet the PR residency requirements to renew them.
Aah. Thanks, PMM.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

You're not the only one, Judy. There were adverts in the national media last year reminding PRs that their cards do expire, and to check that they're still valid before travelling. I guess it would have been the first batch of cards issued that were expiring around then, and probably caught some PRs out.