Finding work before emigrating

Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding work before emigrating

Hi everyone, I'm new here
My boyfriend and I live in Scotland, and our goal is to emigrate to Canada - Nove Scotia ideally. We've been talking about this for a couple of years now, but we've decided it's about time we got to grips with applying etc. so the dream can become reality One thing I've read quite frequently is how much it boosts your application to have a job lined up before you apply. I'm a bit confused about this, as I was under the impression no one would want to employ anyone until they had their visa/work permit/etc. So does this mean that it's only people in *really* employee-short jobs who can line up a job before they go, or is it worth looking whatever employment sector we're in? Is this something that works via email etc, or are we going to have to travel out and meet with people? I currently work in forensics - not a very 'in demand' field I don't think - and my boyfriend is a personal trainer/strength and conditioning coach.

We've done the self-assessment form, and have enough points, but it seems having a job lined up makes things much more feasible! My boyfriend would like to set up as self-employed but that looks a particularly difficult and specific set of criteria to meet, so I don't think that's an option...

I'd really appreciate any help and advice anyone has. Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work before emigrating

Hello, izzi81, and welcome to the BE forum.

The points self-assessment test you did means diddly squat. Unless you have the resources to gain permanent resident status via the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream or accomplish the very unusual feat of getting a temporary work permit on the basis of starting a business in Canada, you'll have to get pre-arranged employment -- no ifs, ands or buts about it.

You said you were in forensics, but didn't provide more detail. So I don't know if you're a doctor, a chemist, a biologist, a police officer, or what. It seems to me that some of the occupations to which you might belong are on the Occupations under Pressure (OUP) list for British Columbia (BC). That might help you to secure a job offer, a temporary work permit and later an expedited permanent residence (PR) visa. Alternatively, you might be able to gain PR status via BC's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Coaches also are on the OUP list for BC.

To get a job offer, you need to identify potential employers and phone them. It would be ideal if you could follow this up with a recce trip to Canada so that you could meet people in person. Canadian employers generally are not into e-mail, at least not if that is the initial contact. They are very much into personal contact.

There is reams and reams of information on each of the steps that I've mentioned in the Wiki section of this website. There's a link to it in my signature, below. Brew a pot of tea (a mere cup of tea will be insufficient for this exercise), and settle in for a long read.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:19 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

I think the coaches (people, not buses) in the OUP are more for business coaches than fitness. The sports angle may be a possibility for self employed entry though.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 6:29 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
I think the coaches (people, not buses) in the OUP are more for business coaches than fitness. The sports angle may be a possibility for self employed entry though.
Actually, NOC Code #5252, which is the code for sports and fitness coaches, is on the OUP list for BC. But, as far as I know, sports and fitness coaches often work on a contract basis, so that wouldn't be helpful towards immigration.

Depending on the exact nature of the qualifications of the partner who is in forensics, that line of work has more promise from an immigration point of view, I think.
x
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the replies. We currently live in Scotland, and I work as a Fingerprint Officer. This is why I don't think is it that good for emigrating on.. despite the title I am not a police officer, and I am also not a scientist as such (and do not have a science-related degree). I understand that in Canada it is police officers who do fingerprint work. I feel my skills would be easily transferrable to ballistics/toolmarks identification, but I doubt this is 'in demand'

My partner has North American-related qualifications (CSCS etc.) and has also competed for his country in decathlon and American Football. he also has an MPhil in Sports Science. Given his qualifications I thought his would be the better application to make.

Thanks very much for the links Judy - I will browse through the Wiki later, it does look packed with info! I had a look at the BC OUP list.. Just so I'm getting it right, the main value of the occupations on that list would be to get an employer in one of those fields to give you a job, is that right? I just noticed 'artisan and craftperson' on that list which surprised me as I would see that as more of a self-employed job? (I noticed because I am an artist, but only in my spare time!)

I am currently studying for an MPhil myself (in Pure and Applied Chemistry, relating to fingerprints) and should finish this in early 2010, after that is when we'd seriously consider the move. Reading this site and forum has woken me up a little though... I was thinking the points score had more value than it apparently does