Fiancee sponsorship

Old Apr 18th 2002, 4:30 pm
Juan Perez

Default Fiancee sponsorship

Dear experts,

I am a PR residing in Toronto, my argentinian fiancee was denied a visitor's visa to
canada because of the great amount of young people trying to leave the country in
search of a better life. The difficult situation in Argentina has put all embassies
in Argentina on full alert. She does not intend to work or study in canada for the
time being (until we get married) so she will not be a burden to canada. Is there any
way that she could be allowed into canada to accompany me while we start the
sponsorship application process? Are there alternatives to the sponsorship
application?

Thank you for your help!!

Old Apr 18th 2002, 11:00 pm
Webimmigration.

Default Re: Fiancee sponsorship

Hi:

Unfortunately, it seems that the only way she will be allowed to enter Canada is to
wait for you to apply to sponsor her as a fiancee.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

"Juan Perez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Dear experts,
    >
    > I am a PR residing in Toronto, my argentinian fiancee was denied a visitor's visa
    > to canada because of the great amount of young people trying to leave the country
    > in search of a better life. The difficult situation in Argentina has put all
    > embassies in Argentina on full alert. She does not intend to work or study in
    > canada for the time being (until we get married) so she will not be a burden to
    > canada. Is there any way that she could be allowed into canada to accompany me
    > while we start the sponsorship application process? Are there alternatives to the
    > sponsorship application?
    >
    > Thank you for your help!!

Old Apr 19th 2002, 10:30 pm
Juan Perez

Dear Experts,

Once a sponsorship application has been presented, could my fiancee accompany me in
Canada for the time being or is it necessary to wait for final approval?

Two more questions, if i was married do I, as a PR, need to pass the financial
requirements set in the sponsorship application or does my fiancee automatically
qualify to travel to Canada? Would 2000 US be enough to cover legal fees?

Thank you for your time and help!!

Old Apr 19th 2002, 11:00 pm
Andrew Miller

No, your fiancée will have to wait in her home country for the conclusion of
application process. More - as a PR (not a Canadian citizen yet) you cannot sponsor
anyone while you are not in Canada. So, you must first get back to Canada and meet
financial requirements before applying to be approved as a sponsor.

If you get married first then you don't need to meet LICO minimums, although you
still need to be in Canada and demonstrate financial ability to support yourself and
your spouse. Being married to Canadian PR or even to a Canadian citizen doesn't give
anyone "automatic" right to travel to Canada - such spouse must still be sponsored
and wait in home country for approval of immigration visa application.

There is an option for sponsored spouses who are already in Canada to apply from
within Canada for PR status, but the trick is to get here in the first place...

Application processing fee is Can$ 500 and Right of Landing Fee is Can$ 975, so US$
2,000 is more than needed.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Juan Perez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Dear Experts,
    >
    > Once a sponsorship application has been presented, could my fiancee accompany me in
    > Canada for the time being or is it necessary to wait for final approval?
    >
    > Two more questions, if i was married do I, as a PR, need to pass the financial
    > requirements set in the sponsorship application or does my fiancee automatically
    > qualify to travel to Canada? Would 2000 US be enough to cover legal fees?
    >
    > Thank you for your time and help!!