Fiance vs Spousal Sponsership

Old Nov 21st 2001, 5:05 pm
C Lui

Hello,

I'm hoping someone in this group will be able to help me. I'm a Canadian citizen and
my fiance is an American citizen. He's legally divorced with minor children who live
with their mother (they will not be immigrating with him). If I sponser him as a
finace, I would have to meet the financial test, which I don't think I will be able
to do because of his children. Now, if we wanted to get around this, could I wait
until we're married and sponser him as a spouse? From my reading of the application
kit, I get the impression that I don't have to meet the financial test if I sponser a
spouse, even though he has dependant children. Am I correct? Please say yes!!

Thanks!

Old Nov 21st 2001, 5:07 pm
Andrew Miller

Yes, you are correct - when sponsoring spouse you don't need to meet minimum income
requirements, although you still must submit all required financial statements in
order for CIC to assess your ability to support yourself and your spouse.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 21st 2001, 5:30 pm
James Metcalfe

If the children are in the care and custody of the former spouse and they are not
going to included in the sponsorship you do not have to include the children in the
financial calculation. He must include them on his application as non acompanying
dependents and satisfy a visa officer that thier custody has been legally vested with
his former spouse.

Jim Metcalfe, Consultant

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >