Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A few questions for a friend on Spousal sponsorship

A few questions for a friend on Spousal sponsorship

Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:18 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few questions for a friend on Spousal sponsorship

Hi Everyone,

One of mine and my OH's friends is Canadian and considering moving back to Canada with her Brit Husband. I wondered is it quicker to apply inland or outland IE could they go across now and he could get a visitors visa and apply in Canada or is the application better going into London.

Her husband is out of work and has been searching for work for 18 months so she is the bread winner and so either way if they were here in the UK or Canada she would be earning for the both of them. The good thing they have in Canada is that her family and friends are very supportive to them for support both emotionally and if need be could help them out with money if needed. So I had suggested they go out their she works and he sits on a visitor visa till PR comes through as he is not working in any event. Does it matter where the application goes in if they want to move shortly?

If they go later this year would they need to apply inland if they are in Canada?, if London is quicker can they apply outland even if in Canada?

Could they start the approval process from the Uk and then fly out?

I have to admit I am no expert on this route of PR and do not want to give them the wrong info. Our friend she only has an email acount and doesnt really do the internet and hence why I am fielding these questions for her.

Thanks for any and all replies
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:02 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions for a friend on Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Hi Everyone,

One of mine and my OH's friends is Canadian and considering moving back to Canada with her Brit Husband. I wondered is it quicker to apply inland or outland IE could they go across now and he could get a visitors visa and apply in Canada or is the application better going into London.
I think you might be getting the requirements of inland vs outland mixed up... to apply inland, both need to be *in* Canada... however, there's no requirement of being inside or outside Canada to apply outland. Tons of people here have been living in Canada but have opted to file outland applications.

The major pro with applying outland is that it's about half the processing time - most people have their PR within 6-7 months of applying. The major con is that if -- IF -- you get called for an interview, you have to do that interview in London, and you'll only have 2-3 weeks notice.

Her husband is out of work and has been searching for work for 18 months so she is the bread winner and so either way if they were here in the UK or Canada she would be earning for the both of them. The good thing they have in Canada is that her family and friends are very supportive to them for support both emotionally and if need be could help them out with money if needed. So I had suggested they go out their she works and he sits on a visitor visa till PR comes through as he is not working in any event. Does it matter where the application goes in if they want to move shortly?
If they apply inland, the husband will have to be in Canada. However, as they are married, there is nothing to stop her from working in Canada and the husband continuing to try to find work (or maybe just temp work) in the UK, and then joining his wife in Canada once PR has been grated, although I appreciate that they might not be keen on doing long distance.

If they go later this year would they need to apply inland if they are in Canada?, if London is quicker can they apply outland even if in Canada?

Could they start the approval process from the Uk and then fly out?

I have to admit I am no expert on this route of PR and do not want to give them the wrong info. Our friend she only has an email acount and doesnt really do the internet and hence why I am fielding these questions for her.
Hopefully what I wrote above answers your question... let me know if you're still unsure about the process! I can happily expand if it hasn't been clear or if you have more questions.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I think you might be getting the requirements of inland vs outland mixed up... to apply inland, both need to be *in* Canada... however, there's no requirement of being inside or outside Canada to apply outland. Tons of people here have been living in Canada but have opted to file outland applications.

The major pro with applying outland is that it's about half the processing time - most people have their PR within 6-7 months of applying. The major con is that if -- IF -- you get called for an interview, you have to do that interview in London, and you'll only have 2-3 weeks notice.

If they apply inland, the husband will have to be in Canada. However, as they are married, there is nothing to stop her from working in Canada and the husband continuing to try to find work (or maybe just temp work) in the UK, and then joining his wife in Canada once PR has been grated, although I appreciate that they might not be keen on doing long distance.

Hopefully what I wrote above answers your question... let me know if you're still unsure about the process! I can happily expand if it hasn't been clear or if you have more questions.
He can't remain in the UK if they do an "inland" application.

Yes, they can apply as 'outland' whilst still in the UK (as she is a Citizen) and fly to Canada whilst waiting for processing.

If they apply 'outland' (everything is sent to Mississauga), specify 'London' as the office for processing.
Wait for sponsorship approval (approximately 4 weeks)
Fly to Canada - he comes in an a visitor, explains they have an application for PR in place - shows receipt and sponsorship approval, requests a 12 month stamp.
On getting COPR (6 ish months), go to border to activate PR.

Downside - can't work; could have to return to UK for interview (though highly unlikely)
Upside - quickest processing; free to come and go at will; could return to the UK to work if necessary

or

If they apply 'inland'
Put application together and pay fees (keep copy of receipt)
Come to Canada, explain that they are applying for PR, show receipt, request 12 months visitor stamp (dual intent).
Send in application to Vegreville together with OWP request
Wait 6 months for 1st stage approval (sponsorship approval) - get OWP
Wait a further 8 months for COPR.

Downside - twice as long to gain PR; can't leave Canada during processing
Upside - can work.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 30th 2013 at 4:16 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:17 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My brain is clearly not functioning today - Husband moves to Canada on Monday, so I think my brain shortcircuited at some point earlier.

What I tried to say but failed to articulate was that if they apply inland, they will both have to be in Canada and can't leave.

Because they are married (as opposed to common-law), they do also have the option of applying outland, and the husband can stay in the UK while the wife goes to Canada to start working. It means at least he can try to find even some temp work while waiting for PR, and then can join his wife in Canada after PR is granted.

I think I managed to combine those two thoughts... perhaps the shippers packed up part of my brain capacity when they were here earlier this week...
Old Aug 30th 2013, 4:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My brain is clearly not functioning today - Husband moves to Canada on Monday, so I think my brain shortcircuited at some point earlier.

What I tried to say but failed to articulate was that if they apply inland, they will both have to be in Canada and can't leave.

Because they are married (as opposed to common-law), they do also have the option of applying outland, and the husband can stay in the UK while the wife goes to Canada to start working. It means at least he can try to find even some temp work while waiting for PR, and then can join his wife in Canada after PR is granted.

I think I managed to combine those two thoughts... perhaps the shippers packed up part of my brain capacity when they were here earlier this week...
lol!

Good luck with the move over
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:39 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

SchnookoLoly and Siouxie thank you so much for all your help