A few Immigration questions...

Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few Immigration questions...

Originally Posted by MartianTom
From that date of landing, you then have 3 years to actually make the move before the visa expires. And, as I said, you need to spend at least 2 of the ensuing 5 years living in Canada for the visa to remain valid.
In the interests of accuracy, if you wait 3 years after landing to establish residency here, then you have to spend all of the next 2 years in Canada, and then 2 years out of every subsequent rolling 5 year period to maintain PR status.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In the interests of accuracy, if you wait 3 years after landing to establish residency here, then you have to spend all of the next 2 years in Canada, and then 2 years out of every subsequent rolling 5 year period to maintain PR status.
Quite! Thanks. Sorry... I can see that my last clause is misleading.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

MarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really nice

No, mate. You have one year from the date of the medical to go out to Canada - even if it's just for an overnight! - to get your visa validated at immigration, show proof of funds and give lists of everything that you'll be shipping over with you when you move. From that date, you then have 3 years to actually make the move before the visa expires. And, as I said, you need to spend at least 2 of the ensuing 5 years living in Canada for the visa to remain valid.

So, supposing you had your medical on 30th January 2010. You then have until 30th January 2011 to go to Canada to get the visa validated (the medical is only valid for one year)... though you have to wait to get the visa first... it can take a few months after the medical, depending on things like the medical showing up a problem that might need further investigation. Hopefully, though, that won't be the case. So, then supposing the medical's all hunky-dory and you eventually get the visa through in, say, April 2010 and decide to go to Canada for a holiday in May 2010. When you arrive in Canada on the first day of that holiday, you go to immigration with all your information. Providing it all checks out and your visa is activated, you then have 3 years from that day to finally move.

I hope that makes sense. The best thing to do might be to look at the Wiki. Most of the answers should be there.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

The full explanation of 'landing' is here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Cheers.
Ahhh right I understand now Thanks for clearing that up Very helpful

Quite! Thanks. Sorry... I can see that my last clause is misleading.
I see... so... and please be patient with me if I've got this wrong
But if I got my Passport Request through the post a month ago - sent them off and got the visa in today... I can do the following...

-- Go to Canada and "land" - Stay for a week in a hotel whilst I look further into apartments etc.
-- Come back to the UK (And stay up to three years) and get final bits and pieces together
-- Return to Canada to work and live

It is in my understanding, I need to be in Canada for a total of two years for every five year period starting from the day I land - I assume this doesn't need to be a consecutive two years? (I.e. I could change the plan above and go to Canada to "land" - and come back and forth as many times as I wish as long as I make the two years up within the five year period)

If that is so - should I get the ball rolling now? If I start putting in my application now I'll get around a year or two before I actually get the passport request - plus an extra three years before I HAVE to live in Canada.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

MarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really niceMarkyUK is just really nice

Bump
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

DibDibbler is an unknown quantity at this point

It takes about 3 years from start to finish, depending on your profession you might want to enrol on a Canadian course over here while you wait, example like the Canadian Securities Course for Banking entry allow you to do this.

Your application states your profession but once your in you dont have any ties to it, its sometimes nice to start a new profession, remember that certain provinces have different licensing, some have none so you need to check this out for your new profession.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
I see... so... and please be patient with me if I've got this wrong
But if I got my Passport Request through the post a month ago - sent them off and got the visa in today... I can do the following...

-- Go to Canada and "land" - Stay for a week in a hotel whilst I look further into apartments etc.
-- Come back to the UK (And stay up to three years) and get final bits and pieces together
-- Return to Canada to work and live

It is in my understanding, I need to be in Canada for a total of two years for every five year period starting from the day I land - I assume this doesn't need to be a consecutive two years? (I.e. I could change the plan above and go to Canada to "land" - and come back and forth as many times as I wish as long as I make the two years up within the five year period)

If that is so - should I get the ball rolling now? If I start putting in my application now I'll get around a year or two before I actually get the passport request - plus an extra three years before I HAVE to live in Canada.
Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Bump
You have it right. It's a total of 2 years in every five, no need for it to be continuous though. If you're going to commute over the pond until you settle , keep good records of days here / abroad.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DibDibbler
It takes about 3 years from start to finish, depending on your profession you might want to enrol on a Canadian course over here while you wait, example like the Canadian Securities Course for Banking entry allow you to do this.

Your application states your profession but once your in you dont have any ties to it, its sometimes nice to start a new profession, remember that certain provinces have different licensing, some have none so you need to check this out for your new profession.
You have it right. It's a total of 2 years in every five, no need for it to be continuous though. If you're going to commute over the pond until you settle , keep good records of days here / abroad.
Brill thanks guys