Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Federal skilled worker vs (Temp Foreign Worker + CEC) route

Federal skilled worker vs (Temp Foreign Worker + CEC) route

Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:17 am
Just Joined

AlexMercer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Federal skilled worker vs (Temp Foreign Worker + CEC) route

Hi
The processing time for a skilled worker visa from London looks about 14 months at the moment. That's a long time to hold a job offer open.

Given that NOC 2171-A is not on the priority list, would the following be true?

1. As a British citizen, I don't need a visitor visa and could stay for up to 6 months

2. In that time, if I get a job offer, a LMO could take 2 months

3. The LMO could be used to apply online for a temporary foreign worker visa ( approx 2 months). Net result: can work after 4 month wait vs 14 months

4. the temporary foreign worker visa lasts 4 years (but being skill type A means it could be longer?)

5. After 2 years, I could apply for immigration under the Canadian Experience Class

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to a recce in Toronto

ps I'm posting because the wiki seems to focus on applications from outside, not inside

Last edited by AlexMercer; Jul 21st 2011 at 2:48 am.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal skilled worker vs (Temp Foreign Worker + CEC) route

Hi

Originally Posted by AlexMercer
Hi
The processing time for a skilled worker visa from London looks about 14 months at the moment. That's a long time to hold a job offer open.

Given that NOC 2171-A is not on the priority list, would the following be true?

1. As a British citizen, I don't need a visitor visa and could stay for up to 6 months

2. In that time, if I get a job offer, a LMO could take 2 months

3. The LMO could be used to apply online for a temporary foreign worker visa ( approx 2 months). Net result: can work after 4 month wait vs 14 months

4. the temporary foreign worker visa lasts 4 years (but being skill type A means it could be longer?)

5. After 2 years, I could apply for immigration under the Canadian Experience Class

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to a recce in Toronto

ps I'm posting because the wiki seems to focus on applications from outside, not inside
1. Yes.
2. It maybe difficult to get an LMO for job with NOC 2171
3. You would have to apply at either the border or office overseas, a visitor can't change status in Canada to a work permit.
4. Yes.
5. Yes, if you qualify.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:28 am
Just Joined

AlexMercer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Federal skilled worker vs (Temp Foreign Worker + CEC) route

Thanks! that was quick and authoritative

Based on your response to 3, it sounds like I have to leave the country unless I have a "temporary resident permit" (from the CIC extract below)

Is this permit:
1. not the same as the temporary visitor visa?
2. only given to people who are criminals, security risks or sick??
sounds perverse!!

Eligibility to apply from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.