Federal Skilled Questions

Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

US.UKtoCan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Federal Skilled Questions

Hi guys, I have been looking at CIC site after following British Expats for a while. Thinking about moving to Canada after moving back and forth between the UK and the USA. I am not sure if I meet the threshold points or not and am bit confused by the guide.

I am sure I can nominate a profession on the ministerial list so that is fine for processing. However, I have two questions. One I earned a US law degree never practiced which is listed as a JD which is not the same as an LLB which is also offered with the JD in Canada so I was wondering is a JD degree considered a masters or doctorate degree by the CIC for points purposes or a second bachelors as there is a distinction from what I have read so far.

Also, I know you need at least one year of experience in an 0, A or B level profession but for the up to four years experience points can you include C level professions and also can you combine two different professions to get three years experience. For instance an A level profession that has 25 months of experience and and B level that has 11 months experience equal three years experience for CIC purposes

Thanks for any help given upfront.

Last edited by US.UKtoCan; Nov 15th 2011 at 10:22 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:19 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal Skilled Questions

Originally Posted by US.UKtoCan
Hi guys, I have been looking at CIC site after following British Expats for a while. Thinking about moving to Canada after moving back and forth between the UK and the USA. I am not sure if I meet the threshold points or not and am bit confused by the guide.

I am sure I can nominate a profession on the ministerial list so that is fine for processing. However, I have two questions. One I earned a US law degree never practiced which is listed as a JD which is not the same as an LLB which is also offered with the JD in Canada so I was wondering is a JD degree considered a masters or doctorate degree by the CIC for points purposes or a second bachelors as there is a distinction from what I have read so far.

Also, I know you need at least one year of experience in an 0, A or B level profession but for the up to four years experience points can you include C level professions and also can you combine two different professions to get three years experience. For instance an A level profession that has 25 months of experience and and B level that has 11 months experience equal three years experience for CIC purposes

Thanks for any help given upfront.
If you have at least one year of experience in one of the jobs in demand on the ministerial instructions list then I assume you are considering applying for Federal Skilled Worker Category 1?

For the POINTS you count all your work experience, it doesn't matter if you changed professions. (They do not distinguish between Category A and B for this, for instance. )

I am fairly sure they only count A,B or O NOCs because this is Federal Skilled Worker class - the clue is in the name!

Are you borderline and need all 4 years points or could you still qualify with 3 years?
If you are unsure about how many years you qualify for, then always use the lower one to calculate your points.
When you send in your application to CIO, they will calculate your points independently anyway based on the evidence you send to them, so if you have more then that is fine, but if you don't reach 67 then it will be rejected.

If I am wrong about the Work Experience, I am sure that someone will let me and you know about it in double quick time.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:54 am
Just Joined

US.UKtoCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Helcat12,

Yes, I am looking at category 1.

Skilled would make sense wouldn't it. I thought that was the case and the other info I found granted on the net agrees with you.

I think I found the answer to my other question on website of an immigration consultant that degree status is determined by situation in country where the degree is obtained so it should be classed as a graduate degree rather than just a second bachelors.

One more question, I assume as a native English speaker with 17+ years of study in the English language I would be safe ignoring the need to get my English language skills evaluated by testing and just let the Visa Officer assess on basis of credentials submitted.

Definitely thanks for the help. I want to avoid making use of a consultant if at all possible.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Thanks Helcat12,

Yes, I am looking at category 1.

Skilled would make sense wouldn't it. I thought that was the case and the other info I found granted on the net agrees with you.

I think I found the answer to my other question on website of an immigration consultant that degree status is determined by situation in country where the degree is obtained so it should be classed as a graduate degree rather than just a second bachelors.

One more question, I assume as a native English speaker with 17+ years of study in the English language I would be safe ignoring the need to get my English language skills evaluated by testing and just let the Visa Officer assess on basis of credentials submitted.

Definitely thanks for the help. I want to avoid making use of a consultant if at all possible.
Unless FSW Cat 1 is different from FSW Cat 2 then it doesnt matter how English you are, you still need to pass the English exam
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:47 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Helcat12,

No, as RKS says, you cannot avoid the need for the English test - it is mandatory for everyone applying for FSW Cat 1 or Cat 2, regardless of where you were born, where or what or to what level you have studied.
You need to look at the checklist and fulfil it. You will see from that that you need to submit the IELTS General test for English and/or I think the equivalent test in French (both of which are the Official languages of Canada).
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE. As the others have said, you need to submit IELTS results with your application, and you'll need to get the exam booked asap - it can take a couple of months to get a slot, and then another couple of weeks for the results, so you could be looking at January 2012 or so at the earliest.

Which NOC code are you thinking of applying under? Hope it's not one that will fill up before then.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE. As the others have said, you need to submit IELTS results with your application, and you'll need to get the exam booked asap - it can take a couple of months to get a slot, and then another couple of weeks for the results, so you could be looking at January 2012 or so at the earliest.

Which NOC code are you thinking of applying under? Hope it's not one that will fill up before then.
Don;t forget to check that you register for the correct exam for IELTS - there are two to choose from
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:38 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
Don;t forget to check that you register for the correct exam for IELTS - there are two to choose from
Tell the poor man which one, then, RKS!!!

You need the General test, not the Academic one.

You will find in the UK, the Academic test is run more frequently than the General one, but do not let that sway you into thinking they will accept either one - they won't.

Get it booked up and taken as soon as you can. The certificate is valid for 2 years with CIC.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
Tell the poor man which one, then, RKS!!!

You need the General test, not the Academic one.

You will find in the UK, the Academic test is run more frequently than the General one, but do not let that sway you into thinking they will accept either one - they won't.

Get it booked up and taken as soon as you can. The certificate is valid for 2 years with CIC.
Sorry I meant to check before posting and then couldn't remember - I knew that you'd correct me anyway
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:29 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
Sorry I meant to check before posting and then couldn't remember - I knew that you'd correct me anyway
I thought you were just building up the tension...
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

dazza1046 is an unknown quantity at this point

can anyone help!!!! i am british national and english is first language but have been told need to take english test is this true
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:53 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by dazza1046
can anyone help!!!! i am british national and english is first language but have been told need to take english test is this true
YES!!!! If you are applying for FSW, at least.

(I have a feeling that some streams don't require it - Family Class?)

Everyone has to take it now, whatever their nationality if they are applying through FSW.

You must take the IELTS General Test an submit the result to CIO with your initial application.

No way round it and no substitutes.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dazza1046
Are you sure you're a British national?

Judging by your post, you may want to brush up on your English before you take the test
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:44 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Are you sure you're a British national?

Judging by your post, you may want to brush up on your English before you take the test
This is how young people these days use punctuation - that is, not at all unless it is an exclamation mark.

Capital letters and full stops are now optional and therefore obsolete as they all use texting speak whenever they write anything.
Both punctuation marks and capitals are a pain in the rear to do and take time.

Just be grateful that we could read all the words and that there were no numbers in there mixed with the letters.

As you can see, as a teacher, my command of punctuation and grammar is gr8:sunglasses:

Last edited by helcat12; Nov 17th 2011 at 8:46 pm. Reason: ADDITION