Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Federal Immigration or Québec, which one is faster?

Federal Immigration or Québec, which one is faster?

Old Jun 21st 2005, 11:37 am
Just Joined

inquirer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Federal Immigration or Québec, which one is faster?

Greetings Everyone:

I have a mind-boggling question and would be glad if any of you kindly enlighted me. I am a holder of a Bachelours Degree (By being an international student) obtained from a Canadian University (outside of Québec) and I have just obtained my two-year post-secondary work permit. I have just moved to Québec and am also working in Québec as well on the aforementioned work permit (I started 3 weeks ago). Now, I know that Québec requires only 6 months of work experience as an eligibility requirement and I also speak, read, and write French fluently. My question is as follows: Should I wait for 6 months and apply through immigration Québec or should I wait for 1 year and apply through Federal Immigration? Above all, which immigration is supposed to be faster? Do any of you know how long immigration Québec takes until I obtain my premanent residency?

Best Regards,
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:37 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Federal Immigration or Québec, which one is faster?

You can't compare both programs as each case is different - one case may be faster under Quebec program, while another will be faster under federal program. There is no simple rule here, sorry.

If your intentions are to continue working in Quebec for next 2 years then applying under Quebec program makes more sense, especially when you can start process 6 months sooner than federal one.

If you prepare solid application package with absolutely conclusive evidence then you have quite good chances to have PR visa under Quebec program before your work permit ends.

Originally Posted by inquirer
Greetings Everyone:

I have a mind-boggling question and would be glad if any of you kindly enlighted me. I am a holder of a Bachelours Degree (By being an international student) obtained from a Canadian University (outside of Québec) and I have just obtained my two-year post-secondary work permit. I have just moved to Québec and am also working in Québec as well on the aforementioned work permit (I started 3 weeks ago). Now, I know that Québec requires only 6 months of work experience as an eligibility requirement and I also speak, read, and write French fluently. My question is as follows: Should I wait for 6 months and apply through immigration Québec or should I wait for 1 year and apply through Federal Immigration? Above all, which immigration is supposed to be faster? Do any of you know how long immigration Québec takes until I obtain my premanent residency?

Best Regards,
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Dear Dr. Miller:

I highly appreciate your response. There was one sentence though on which I would appreciate further elaboration:
..."prepare solid application package with absolutely conclusive evidence.... Does that mean explaining my intention to work and live in Québec in the future? If yes, my residence and my work attest to this? Don't they?

Moreover, I would like to ask you one more question: I previously gained exactly 1 year part-time on-campus work experience. Is immigration Québec going to count these as well or do you think I should wait until the end of my six months to be eligible to apply since my current job is full-time? By the way, do you also think I can apply in my 4th or 5th month now that it might take several months for them to process my case? I know that has already made many questions so far, but how long would it take, approximately, to hear from them once I have made my application? I also hold a certificate attesting to my fluency in French issued by the University of Ottawa. Would they still need to test my language skills?

Best Regards,
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:36 pm

No, it doesn't mean that at all.

Solid and conclusive application package means that your application fully and conclusively documents all your bio and background info, education and experience claims and fully addresses (again with conclusive evidence) any and all case specific doubts and follow-up questions officers may have - just to start with. It has nothing to do with explaining your intentions to live in Quebec.

Dear Dr. Miller:

I highly appreciate your response. There was one sentence though on which I would appreciate further elaboration:
..."prepare solid application package with absolutely conclusive evidence.... Does that mean explaining my intention to work and live in Québec in the future? If yes, my residence and my work attest to this? Don't they?

Moreover, I would like to ask you one more question: I previously gained exactly 1 year part-time on-campus work experience. Is immigration Québec going to count these as well or do you think I should wait until the end of my six months to be eligible to apply since my current job is full-time? By the way, do you also think I can apply in my 4th or 5th month now that it might take several months for them to process my case? I know that has already made many questions so far, but how long would it take, approximately, to hear from them once I have made my application? I also hold a certificate attesting to my fluency in French issued by the University of Ottawa. Would they still need to test my language skills?

Best Regards,
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Dear Dr. Miller:

Thank you for the response. So do you think I should wait for exactly 6 months or would it be more advisable to apply 1-2 months before the 6th month as the processing time takes long?

Best Regards,
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:05 pm

You must meet all requirement before sending application, period.

Dear Dr. Miller:

Thank you for the response. So do you think I should wait for exactly 6 months or would it be more advisable to apply 1-2 months before the 6th month as the processing time takes long?

Best Regards,
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

When I filed my CSQ application I have had 2 years of experiance, at the time of interview I had 4 years, the officer counted the 4 years. but as andrew said you must meet the 6 months minimum requrement.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You must meet all requirement before sending application, period.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Greetings Everyone:

Best Regards,
Everything you wanted to know about Québec but were affraid to ask is to be found here :
http://www.immigrer.com/
All french though, but if you want to live over there you better get used to it.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Should I wait for 6 months and apply through immigration Québec or should I wait for 1 year and apply through Federal Immigration? Above all, which immigration is supposed to be faster? Do any of you know how long immigration Québec takes until I obtain my premanent residency?

Best Regards,
It's not a question of which route is 'faster'. If you intend to live in Quebec you should normally apply to Quebec (which usually makes sense anyway as those with good French are favoured by Quebec). If you intend to live somwhere else in Canada then apply federal or to another Province PNP program.